how do you beat skaven with HE? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how do you beat skaven with HE?

i waslooking at my skaven army book and thought to myself i could have an army of these compared to my HE

i did a comparrison between them

the skaven could have like 127 for 43 HE models by this point i started asking myself how on earth could i win against them and thanking god that next to no one plays with them

but 127 skaven wasnt a bad list (consider i wanted the figures im using for the example when i was 12) it had like 2 units of clanrats at 20, 2 slaves at 20 1 plague monk at 20 1 stormvermin at 20, 5 rat ogres a warplock engineer fully pimped and a warp lightening cannon

that sounds scary as hell and a good skaven player could make a better 1 so how are HE suppose to take down such HUGE numbers with our 43 (10 archers, 20 spears, 10 swordmaster, bolt thrower and 2 level 2 mages (not sure if its only 1) but they are both 1000 pts

neither army i built was very good but i would say skaven would probs win

so how do u beat so many?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey I'm still new but from what i've heard people have been sying sword masters are really good at dealing with hordes.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    220 (x8)

Except they die to shooting very easily. I would rather take stubborn WHite Lions, so horde combat resolution won;t impact me, and ASF S6 attacks are great at overcoming Rat Ogres and heir ilk.
    Skaven have some very nasty shooting attacks, heavily armoured troops are a must. Dragon armour is useful because it negates warp-fire throwers. Bolt throwers are useful because you can easily force panic checks on big skaven blocks with a couple of rounds of shooting.

A legend in my own mind.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    73 (x3)

I agree, you can shoot back at them with enough volleys of bolt throwers to have them take a panic test in as early as the first round given how weak some of the units are.

From what I can tell, their magic while decent, is infirior to the new High Elf mages. Sure they can take scroll caddies, but they have a limited amount of warp tokens, limiting their magic i think.

Skaven are one of the few enemies HE spearmen can fight with a good chance of winning since they are as weak as elves if not weaker. Eleite units like SM and White lions
    will hack skaven units to pieces. WL are better equipped given their cloaks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i also find that lore of shadow spells work really well against skaven. Escially clan rat units are scared away easily with it.
    Not to mention you can make terror causeing phoenix guards with it

About phoenix guards, take these guys. Fear will healp against the numerous skaven and the wardsave will protect against most of the enemy's fire.
    and with their stats they still smash apart just about everything in the skaven list. (though indeed White Lions fare better against Orges and are a solid choice aswell)

Hope it helps

Elfwarden
    "Ask not the Eldar a question, for they will give you three answers; all of which are true and terrifying to know"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I usually go high magic against Skaven, Flames of the Phoenix wrecks them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Washout81 View Post
    I usually go high magic against Skaven, Flames of the Phoenix wrecks them.
    True, i always take multiple mages with different lores. Usually High Magic and one other. This allows you to bennefit from drain magic and the other cool High magic spells but you also have versatility on you're hand with the other lores avalable.

Talking about crispy skaven.... lore of fire--> conflagration of doom and even better wall of fire in combonation with flames of the phoenix it will burn up entire skaven units.

elfwarden
    "Ask not the Eldar a question, for they will give you three answers; all of which are true and terrifying to know"

A legend in my own mind.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    73 (x3)

The problem with remains in play spells is that your opponet has a chance to dispel it each turn, however that can work for you as that means less dice to dispel any other spells you have. Send a Dragon his way even be it a Draognmange, the skaven will run in terror. I guess the same could be said of griffins, but a dragon is just better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    205 (x7)

Well, the way to beat any army is to play to it's weakness's, and HE's can certainly do that against Skaven. Here's how:

1) Speed. Skaven have pretty good base movement, but it's the same as yours and they have no Cav. Out manouver them and flank, which brings us to...

2) Flank them. Skaven lose their LD bonus from ranks, when they are negated, such as from a flank charge. Easier said than done, but if you're playing HE's, this is pretty much how you win matches anyway.

3) Magic. It's been mentioned already, but Skaven do die good to some offensive magic.

3) Poor stats. The only thing Skaven will match you on is T, and maybe S. Play the odds.

4) Take out their shooting and artillery early on. Jezails area threat you certainly should get rid of, either via Bolt throwers, or Shaddow warriors. A couple of Great Eagles will probably get the job done, too.

5) Look out for traps. With so many 'throw away' unit, such as Slaves, Skaven can throw a unit towards you, and angle them so when you charge, win, and overrun, you present you're flank for a charge into it. Try to pick the trap, and only charge when it's safe. Or use multiple chargers.

6) Dragons. As long as you can deal with, or avoid enemy shooting, Dragon wreak bloody havoc on a Skaven line. Nothing about these guys is nice for Skaven - A Breath Weapon that causes a panic check, Terror, unit strength 6/7, and they can Fly. Set youself up properly, and you can roll up the Skaven line.

Well, hope that makes sense

Tim

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

good points all but i fail to see the use of white lions when skaven have so many flanking is easy for them, they can surround u and the key point of toughness 3 is that even a clanrats can tear through them off hand i think its something like a 5 they have to roll to hit but after that its like a 4 and with that many attacks lions are doomed after all its likt 3:1 in point cost terms and however good stubborn is it wont save there lives

seems a lost cause

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast