A tough choice to make - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A tough choice to make

Greetings all,

I've decided to return to Warhammer after a very long absence. I used to play Warhammer 40K (Eldar and Orks) but never really got very interested in Fantasy, apart from a brief but disastrous foray into Empire. However, a friend of mine just started up and I've been encouraged to start collecting again.

I've narrowed my choice down to to two armies- High Elves and Vampire Counts. The challenge I'm setting you LO'ers is twofold: Convince me why I should play your army, and then give me some helpful hints regarding how to go about it. I'll be posting an identical thread in the VC forum (if that's legal... if not, will some passing mod take pity and delete/move this thread to its proper place? Thank you).

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What criteria are you looking at?

What made you narrow the choice down to HE and VC?

A legend in my own mind.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    73 (x3)

High elves can have more special and rare choices than VC, and also need less Core choices as requirements
    If a Million Guardsmen die, that's a statistic. If one marine dies, that's a tragedy.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've always found vampires to be tactically boring to play. If you look around at the vampire army lists at tournaments they will all be very similar, big block of grave guard with a vampire lord and wight king with regen banner in the unit, ect. It's a combat res monster unit, but there is no strategy in this, it just does the combat res for you. Also with vampires you don't really have to be careful where a unit is on the field because you can just bring em back Vampires also get eaten by mobile armies, i used to have trouble against them with my tomb kings and high elves, but now that I put a lot of mobility in my lists, I can usually come out on top of vamps.

High Elves I find that even with always strike first, it is still important to use tactics properly, be careful with certain units ect. For instance, swordmasters are amazing in combat, one of the best in the game, but they are also ultra squishy to shooting, so you gotta learn how to manouver them properly if you wanna get full potential out of the unit. I have played HEs for 8 months or so now and I find that writing a solid list with Elves is challenging, where with vamps I bet I could write a very good list on my first try. I am really enjoying my HEs now a lot more than i used to now that I know how to write a good list.

Thats the best I can give you, I play undead and high elves, though my undead is tomb kings, which i prefer to play over vamps, i generally have a good feel for how they play.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I'm looking for a relatively small, cheap (money-wise) army with lots of magic (which for me is one of the most interesting aspects of Warhammer FB ). I like Vampire Counts mainly for the background (Vampires in general are just awesome) and their super-hard Lord and Hero choices, although I wonder how much fun a Vamp army is to actually paint and model... High Elves appeal to the Eldar player in me, what more can I say? Arguably the best mages in the game, as well. My only bugbear is the large number of metal units and the fact that their seems to be a relatively limited scope for conversion.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unfortunately High Elves are one of the more expensive armies out there to build. If you are into painting and modeling ect, you will never win best presentation with Vamps, undead are too easy to paint, and even if you put a lot of time into an undead model, it still won't look leagues better than a half assed job.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

im not really sure u can say the high elf are one of the most expensive army to build...im looking at skaven right now and i can tell that by the number i have to buy i prefer getting He.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree that Vamps have cool history and fluff. But some of their models are lame. The Spirit Hosts....? My buddy has VCs and instead of buying those models he ended up getting Bretonnian Men at Arms (to paint them like spirits) because the GW models for Spirit Hosts are so lame.
    Last edited by Vase; November 9th, 2008 at 04:50.

A legend in my own mind.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    73 (x3)

VC mainly win through unit strength and rank bonuses alone. The fact they can auto-break a normal unit they outnumber everytime they win is very annoying.
    If a Million Guardsmen die, that's a statistic. If one marine dies, that's a tragedy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I've decided on Vampires. Thanks for all the input guys

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast