Magic - A few questions? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    54 (x1)

Magic - A few questions?

Let me first explain that i was taught everything I know about warhammer in general, from a dwarf player and magic has always been a fairly grey area for us. I recently got the rule book just to clarify some rules for myself.

Now my question is about magic in combat. I know you cant cast magic missles if your mage is locked into combat. But what about other spells? I know you can cast the ones that say they may be used in combat.

My current tactic has been to hide a mage in a unit then drop him out the back just before they get charged.
    It was only the otherday when I played another HE player that he started casting in combat. Even in a challenge. When i questioned this he pointed out the rule only says he cant cast magic missles in combat. Everything else is fair game. Now Ive looked this up and cant find anywhere anything that says you can not use magic when i combat. Just you cant use magic missles.

Any help guys?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    288 (x6)

There is no restriction on casting spells while in close combat, but you probably have no LoS to any unit other then the one you are in combat with, so in most cases most spells do not have viable targets. Remember that magic missiles can still only be cast on units out of combat so the unit you are in combat with is still not a valid target despite being in LoS.
    Last edited by kroxigor01; December 12th, 2008 at 09:17.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x1)

general comment

All the spells you have to read the entire thing and carefully to see if they can be used.
    Not that it matters much as normally the mage is going to die in a challenge which is why I have full commands in the units I place him in. There are some spells that can be used in close combat but they are too varied to get into especially without me re-reading ever lore. Therefore you have to read them please do not count on just anyone's memory. Some people have a very good memory unlike mine which is known to be faulty a time or two.

+ Reply to Thread