Dragon Prince conversions - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dragon Prince conversions

Ok so I was just wondering (since I'm far too poor to go out and buy them) how you guys would go about converting a unit of Silver Helm Knights into Dragon Princes.

I'm working on a pretty tight budget and really refuse to pay £35 for 5 models no matter how much pain they bring to the tabletop.

So, any ideas guys? Preferably something that doesn't involve spending money

There is no such thing as a superior martial art, only superior martial artists.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x2)

Green stuff, a lot of green stuff. I am also too tight to go out and buy that when 10 swordmasters are cheaper, but I am beginning to weaken but there is my answer.
    Daemonic cheese-how? Well, you would need to start with daemonic milk, i guess...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was thinking green stuff, but I'm a complete noob to it and don't want to spoil the models with some cruddy moulding work.

My other big idea was going along my armies fluff of being a group of High Elf Exiles (they left Ulthuan for a reason I haven't worked out yet but are still loyal to Asuryan). This way I would feel comfortable building them as Silver Helms and adding some kind of marking to their helms and/or shields to mark them out as Dragon Princes in a sort of "counts as" way. Since I'll never be entering the tournie circuit I forsee no problem with it as long as my opponent agrees. Whaddy'all think?
    There is no such thing as a superior martial art, only superior martial artists.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds good, I did that with my silver helms by adding stuff to their shields and helms. Though after awhile I decided to buy dragon princes since they look so awsome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't get me wrong I think the DP models look fantastic, my problem with them is the high cost in earth coins. For just a few more shiny pennies I can get myself a 15 strong unit of the footslogging specials.

Though at least we're not in the same boat as VC players who need to fork out £50 to get a hold of those lovely looking Blood Knights.

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

I'm in both boats. But anyways:

I made a casting of the Prince/Noble's shield, the one that's got the dragon on it. Just use a block of putty and press the shield into it. Then mush some GS into the gaps and press a blank shield inside. You'll get a print of the dragon that's custom fit. Then just carefully remove the dragon and glue it to the shield. Remember however, you have to use the new Spearmen shields, because the SH ones are pre-cast. Just switch the shields out. It makes elite looking spearmen, and decent dragon princes.

For more Dragon-y flair, remember that you can use paint. Alongside the dragon-shields, and a Dragon Prince champion in each unit (blister), my Silver's-turned-Dragon have been undergoing a repaint. My new DPs are being painted to a much more elaborate standard, and flat bits of armor are getting fine-detail flames put on them. The flames are alot easier to paint than you'd expect, so it gives a great visual hook to the army. Wish I had a camera that could pick up enough detail, or I'd show you.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds good, if you ever get a decent enough camera post some pics up and let us see. I'm half tempted to post pics of my own HElves just to see what you all think since I've been getting heavy kudos at my local GW for the painting and the most advanced technique I know is drybrushing which I haven't done since I was 15

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

Never undervalue drybrushing. I'm the same way- my whole paint method is based entirely on drybrushing. Granted, I also use glazing and other techniques on some of my models. Drybrushing looks good on textures, it gives the model a more sketchy look, that I like. I also don't paint eyes or anything onto my faces, and glaze my 2D details. It gives my models a rough, blurry look, as though they've just stepped out of a 2D painting.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I'm a fan of dark colour schemes so tend to just undercoat black then pick out everything else with a fine detail brush.

I'll get some picks up later because I'm just too lazy and comfortable to do it just now.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    220 (x8)

The best bet for creating your own Dragon Prince units is to use the helmet wings from the Dragon lord and noble on Silver Helms models, and if you have old HE Spears lying around, then they came with some draconic shields which can be given the Silver Helms as well

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast