Competitive at 1000 PTS - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x2)

Competitive at 1000 PTS

Normally all the armies are most balanced between each other at ~2250 PTS. However, I am thinking about putting together a new army for a 1k tournament that is held monthly. Are HE competitive at 1k? Explanations are appreciated!

Armies: Wood Elves, High Elves
    Warbands Campaign 07: 1st
    San Antonio Alamo GT

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    125 (x4)

I wouldn't say HE are the most competative army in smaller points games. Mostly because you don't have the points to buy what you want but also because you will notice the opponents units outnumber you massively. HE do tend to be outnumbered anyway, but it's certainly more noticable in smaller games.

Regards,
    5000p. High Elves
    1000p. Eldar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would think at 1K you would be most competitive if you don't take any magic. With ASF, some regular foot soldiers, an elite unit, and a chariot or two would be tough. Lots of people dislike chariots because on paper they seem so inferior to cavalry. However, they have lots of advantages that you can use in a small game: they are tough and won't take wounds as easily as the rest of your already outnumbered army; they will add kill power to your infantry and will allow you to break units effectively (no need to flank charge for this; when charging to the front alongside a block of spearmen, they get lots of attacks with minimal base-to-base contact...unlike cavalry); they are very maneuverable. Good leadership, ASF, and strong attacking power should be a challenge for any opponent.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    220 (x8)

I second this argument - chariots get AL their attacks across a concentrated frontage, even corner-to-corner. If you have a spear block 5 wide, and maximise your combat opponents, then you will ALWAYS be able to get a chariot strike in against opposing ranked infantry or a minimum sized cavalry unit.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

I would agree with what has been said lately. I think no magic is the way to go at low points, if you are worried about it go with magic resistance for defense on the unit that need protecting, or Radiant Gem of Hoeth.

Having said that 1 mage + Banner of Sorcery will have most opposition cringing at this points level.
    Cheers Allonairre

WIP Thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x1)

comment

Yes a mage with a seerstaff and banner of sorcery in another unit would add some magic power. For a 80 points you can choose your spells and get d3 to your power die pile.

I think you have to have a mage at this level 1000. 2250 most people have an archmage and two mages. Therefore you need one at 1000 points. At 1000 points you or your opponent gets three heros. Count on your opponent have a magic user.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I recently went up against O&G in a 1,500 point game. I had no mage, but my opponent did. I scored a massacre.

One reason I really really like the High Elf army is because you can play so many styles and still be successful. I don't think there are hardly any rules you MUST follow in order to have a competitive army. Then again, I'm not a tourney gamer so I could be mistaken.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x1)

comment

I was just being funny. But seriously it is a good banner for the points.

+ Reply to Thread