Advice on Lothern Sea Guard - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Advice on Lothern Sea Guard

Could I get some advice on Sea Guard? My first thought would be to not use them because they can either function more like archers or rank up and function like a spear unit. If they do the first, they will not have the excellent rank bonus and 3 ranks of spears abilitiy and if they go with the second, you will have like 7 guys shooting.

For example, to upgrade a 3 rank, 18 many unit of spearmen to sea guard with shields, it will cost 72 points to basically have 6 arrows shooting from the front rank. Also, the points for the sea guard unit will buy my almost 23 archers. Am I missing something?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    125 (x4)

I have never been a fan of these guys, but the more I read, the more I get convinced that they are great. The points you mention are true, they tend to work either as archers or spearmen, but people tend to forget the reform manouvre (sp?) where you first have one rank of 18 bow shots and then place everyone in 3*6 formation to take the charge.

As I said I have never used them so I can't really say I have first hand Knowledge, but I'm sure CaptainSarathai will drop by this thread and help you, he's a real fan of these guys.

Regards,
    5000p. High Elves
    1000p. Eldar

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    220 (x8)

They are pricey and somewhat limited in their offensive potential, but they do allow you have effectively 4 attacks per front ranker rather than 3, at least if charged.....

Consumate professional Sir Theobold the Lame's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x8)

Reading the codex im intruged by how they work, how would a 12 man LSG unit perform as the anchor for the flank, of a unit of spearmen say. A row of 18 archers is a little unwieldly for me, but 12, dropping down to 2x6 for CC could have its advantages?

Im going to practice with my fledgling HEs and see how they get on.
    PLAN CLAN MAN!!

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- S. Johnson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x1)

Lsg

I do not use them myself because they are a compromise between spearman and archers.

Now if they can be placed on a hill or slope all three ranks get to shoot arrows. Therefore there are certain places where the LSG are useful. The question that you have to ask yourself is this; can I count on always getting those circumstances to make it worth while to take this unit?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

Someone, I think it was you Sir Theobold, mentioned using them in smaller units in a different thread. It is an interesting idea. My biggest issue with this concept is the reduced range of a bow compared to a longbow.

10 Archers with a 5+ save (4+ in combat) is a tempting idea though, you could use them in a similar way to Dark elf repeater crossbows (all be it with less effective shooting for a similar price).
    Cheers Allonairre

WIP Thread

Consumate professional Sir Theobold the Lame's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x8)

The LSG have the same problem as Dwarf Rangers- for the points cost there are just better options. For example 20 LSG cost almost the same as 10 Archers and 15 Spearmen.

Cool concept though!
    PLAN CLAN MAN!!

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- S. Johnson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anthony who won 2 gt's in one year (las vegas and uk), swears by them. He uses them as rear guards for his army to protect his warmachines and scroll caddy. I generally use a unit of 10 of them as archers then when anything gets close i reform them to take a charge.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    63 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by garythewargamer View Post
    Now if they can be placed on a hill or slope all three ranks get to shoot arrows.
    Where do you get that from? Units on hills only get to shoot with 1 additional rank

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    125 (x4)

He's thinking of shooting at large targets I guess.

I like the idea of a unit holding a flank or something but even then they would be less effective than pure spears/archers IMHO.

Regards,
    5000p. High Elves
    1000p. Eldar

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast