Chaos - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chaos

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chaos

How do you boys beat these douchebags? I can't handle them. Any tips would be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Turtle up with RBTs and Magic blasting away. Deny flank charges and try to thin out some of their troops before they get to you. WLs and SMs work well with their high S and WS. Your gonna take some hits but at least you get to hit first. I find that HE elite infantry can actually out-combat WoC.
    Chose can be hard to handle though, especially when they get all pumped up from EotG and a warshrine. Try to isolate them if possible. SMs are about all we got for them and even still its gonna be close at the end of the turn, each one of them is like a mini hero.

I try to use WoC mediocre leadership against them, as many break/leadership checks as you can possibly cause. Their magic is below average with a few notable exceptions, and thankfully their units cost as much if not more than ours.

Star dragon is pretty nice with thier lack of shooting, he's about as safe as he can get as long as you have at least some magic defense.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    220 (x8)

I would suggest asking the same question on the WoC forum, they will give you a full breakdown of why WoC can't beat HE "douchebags"!!

RBTs are good, but Lore of Metal is MUCH better.

Max out on magical offense is always good, esepcially against armies like WoC where you are guaranteed to have some pretty good armour saves on the field and Lore of Metal is just made for cooking Chaos Knights in their armour.....

HE elites are the way to go, Spears will avail you not against Chaos Knights, but S5/S6 attacks are going to damage them, and with a decent SCR, you should be able to take apart these units.

March blocking is going to kill the Chaos army, and having a Star Dragon in your list as a terror bomb/combat effective model is goping to be ideal...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    57 (x1)

I've never really been scared of WoC lists, I think we pretty much have them beat all over the park.

Dragon princes will tear a unit of Warriors to shreds and so can get behind very quickly.

In terms of magic Kithre is right, Lore of Metal is the most powerful thing we have in oure arsenal against that lot. I would also recommend taking the bound version of Vaul's Unmaking, WoC have some unpleasant magic weapons and armour that getting rid of early on will ease a lot of stress.

If you really want to power play your way through I would recommend something like:

Archmage
    Prince on Steed
    Mage
    Mage

2x min units of archers

Dragon Princes
    Swordmasters (Banner of Sorcery)

RBTs

If you have any points left over you'll probably want to get in a lion chariot, with no shooting coming at them those things are pretty deadly.

Also... Standard of Balance is handy
    Last edited by stratovarion; April 9th, 2009 at 12:15.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

220 (x8)

You have two Lord choices there - It would be ARchmage, Noble on Steed (BSB to benefit from teh rerolls) and two junior mages.

Ensure that you have champions everywhere to soak up challenges..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    57 (x1)

Thats true... lost my mind for a moment.

I'm not sure about making it a BSB personally as chances are he's going to be further away from the main block that that.

Personally I would give him a Star Lance and make him an exalted hero killer. Or you could give him the Radiant gem to really boost your magic but I really think thats a bit unneccessary.

I suppose you could make him BSB AND have a Star lance, might try that one day...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Managed a win over them today. My list consisted of

Prince on Star Dragon
    Armour of Caledor
    Vambraces of Defense
    The Gem of Courage (incase of crap luck and the dragon is forced to roll a break test. Never did have to use it though)

Spearmen x 20 musician and standard bearer

Archers x 10

Mage
    Dispel scroll x 2
    Silver Wand

Mage
    Dispel scroll
    The Seerstaff of Saphery

Swordmasters x 8 musician and standard bearer

White Lions x 10 musician and standard bearer, War Banner

Dragon Princes x 5 musician and standard bearer, Banner of Sorcery

Lion Chariot

The dragon and the chariot were incredible flankers and I can attribute my victory mostly to them. I used the sword masters and spearmen to draw his fire, while the white lions and dragon princes got through the ranged into his units. My mages died on the third turn and didnt manage to put out much damage. I used the archers mainly as march blockers due to their inability to get through chaos armor. Was a good victory and wiped that chaos grin off of his face.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x1)

comment

Good win. I play against a chaos general nearly ever other weekend. He had a unit of 10 heavy cav frenzy that were just plain hard to deal with. Then I discovered how to use my eagle as a bait and flee tactic. Now he has dropped his knights to a unit of five as he got tired of playing in the woods all the time.

I like playing him because to win I can not make any mistakes. Lore of metal negates his armour saves. RBTs single shot works great if you can get a flank shot. Remember that your RBTs do -2 to armour saves. A lord on a star dragon can really tear up his infantry units. Frenzy can not bait and flee.

A lion chariot is a mismatch against chaos knights, even in the flanks. Swordmasters with average rolls can handle a charge by them but will probably still lose combat. But I run them in units of seven.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stratovarion View Post
    If you really want to power play your way through I would recommend something like:
    2x min units of archers
    Have you ever actually tried killing T4 AS3 troops with 10x S3 attacks before lol? Good luck

Per turn, 10x attacks.

0.55 kills at long range
    0.74 kills at short range

Shoot 20 archers at a unit of chaos warriors at point blank and you'll get 1.5 kills on average lol. Practically giving away 260 points.
    Last edited by Darvon; April 19th, 2009 at 06:13.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

220 (x8)

The 2x min archers are there as a means to get the minimum core for maxim battlefield efefct. They can still be used as combat auxiliaries, and can help deter against units like Marauder cavalry who are only T3 and with a relatively poor save.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast