HE vs Orcs - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HE vs Orcs

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    80 (x2)

HE vs Orcs

So I'm in a campaign where I stand a very good chance of being attacked by an Orc player. I've never played against Orcs before, so I was wondering if there are any specific builds I should prepare to deal with them?

Nights Justice Space Marines
    Eldar Eth Kariel Craftworld
    Spear of Kurnous - High Elf Expeditionary Army

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    57 (x1)

There is nothing really specific:
    A few pointers though.

1. Don't be afraid of Black Orcs, they're not as hard as they should be, Swordmasters, Lions shouldn't have any problem dispatching them and even spearmen should hold them up for long enough.

2. Don't rely on charging. Units like Dragon Princes that need to get in on the charge aren't massively worth taking as the Orcs have sneaky tricks like Waaargghhhh that give them a really good chance to get a charge in first.

3. They probably wont have a massive amount of magic and so you shouldn't have to bother with too many Dispel Scrolls and should be able to dominate the magic phase pretty well. High magic works pretty well against them especially if you can get hold of Flames of the Phoenix.

4. Elite infantry blocks will tear apart anything the O&G army can throw at you and you shouldn't have to worry too much about standard shooting so your Swordmasters should be relatively safe.

5. Beware of war machines, some of them are pretty nasty and reasonably accurate so if you have space for a couple of Great Eagles these will do you a really good job.

Overall - if i were playing this game I would probably take:
    Archmage
    2x Mage
    BSB (banner of sorcery)
    2x small blocks of archers for core
    2x 14 swordmasters
    15x White lions
    Lion chariot for cheap fear tests on gobbos
    at least 2 eagles and as many RBTs that you can call in.

Good Luck

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x2)

Yeah pretty much as above also remember gobbos fear elves, and shadow warriors are very good at despatching war machines and getting rid of rank bonuses without using a rare. I would consider elyrion reaver as manditory as an orc without his rank bonus is a doomed orc.
    Daemonic cheese-how? Well, you would need to start with daemonic milk, i guess...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

79 (x2)

Phear teh boar boyz.

No seriously, kite these frenzied bigguns with your light cav. Which means take some light cav. Then blast these, first and foremost. They hurt. A lot.
    Fear me, mortals, for I am The Anointed, The Favored Son of Chaos, The Scourge of the World. The armies of the Gods rally behind me, and it is by My Will and by My Sword that your weakling nations shall fall. - Archaon, The Everchosen, Lord of the End Times

A legend in my own mind.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    73 (x3)

Unless you take alot of calvary, don't worry about getting the charge. As far as I know, they don't have anything that has ASF. Heavy infantry HE like what i run (lots of SM, WL, and PG) can take charges and have a decent chance of survivng, even repelling the enemy, so long as they clear the front rank, I'm not too worried when charged by spearmen though. 3 rows of spears is bound to cause some hurt. Also dont forget if the Orc player takes goblins, goblins fear HE.
    If a Million Guardsmen die, that's a statistic. If one marine dies, that's a tragedy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't forget the Fanatics. They can be nasty. Get your Eagles behind the Night Goblin units and the Fanatics can do some nice damage to his own units...after your Eagle bites the dust of course

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    220 (x8)

Fanatics kill Elves. Easily.
    You need to have some light units or ablative armour to bring out the fanatics, to avoid them making a mess of your Star Dragon mounted lord...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

80 (x2)

How do the Fanatics work? Whats the best way to deal with them, if you don't have Eagles?
    Nights Justice Space Marines
    Eldar Eth Kariel Craftworld
    Spear of Kurnous - High Elf Expeditionary Army

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    220 (x8)

Shadow warriors are a good alternative, as you can pop out from terrain (which kills fanatics) or else try and sneak round the ends of the Orc lines to pop-out the fanatics in his lines rather than when you main line approaches.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Djones9916 View Post
    How do the Fanatics work??
    A unit of Night Goblins has the option of including a Fanatic. Your opponent doesn't deploy the Fanatic at the beginning, nor does he need to tell you if the unit includes a Fanatic.

When you get within a certain distance of a Night Goblin unit containing a Fanatic (6" I think), it will come out and cause damage similar to Impact Hits. I can't remember the exact amount, but it is something like 3D6 S4 hits.

I had a unit of Silver Helms get hit by a Fanatic in my last game and the Fanatic wiped out enough for my unit to become useless. My Silvers ended up fleeing off the table.

After the Fanatic comes out, if it survives, it moves according to a roll of the Scatter dice. So from that point on, the Fanatic is just as likely to cause damage to its own units. However, if they run into difficult terrain like a wood, they instantly die. That is what Kithre is referring to when he says Shadow Warriors are a good alternative to Eagles.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast