War Altars - How do you stop them? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

War Altars - How do you stop them?

Heya, had a game against Empire last night, pretty tough lists:

Arch lector War Altar, Pegasis Captain (aldred Casket), Lvl1 Wiz, Warrior Priest on steed, Knights, Crossbows, Handguns, Handguns, Bows, Bows, Swordmen + detachment, 2 cannons, flagellants, pistoliers, outriders, ogre lead belchers.

Teclis, BSB Battlebanner on steed, Noble Reaverbow, 23 Spears (Teclis + Noble), 10 archers, Tiranoc Chariot, 5 Shadow Warriors, 6DP banner ellryion champ skeinsliver, 7DP Banner sorcery, 3RBT, 1 Eagle.

Ended up winning after the 7DP charged the empire knights with Priest and Teclis cast transmutation of lead, meaning 5 empire knights went down. And the shadow warriors and eagles and chariot managed to charge and overrun such that by his 2nd turn the entire empire shooting phase was 1 pistol. Oh and the ogres charged the 6Dp + BSB, took 4wounds, killed 1 knight and fled.

This mostly left the war altar, spells failing, RBT shots bouncing off, Reaverbow not getting anywhere, then in combat he charged the main block of spears and was just challenging people, with his Immune to Psychology he wasn't going anywhere. What do you do?

Luckily Teclis was ridding him of a magic item each turn, mostly cos that damn casket had nicked most of the good spells (2,4,6) this just limited the damage still couldn't actually kill him!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x2)

you could try to destroy it with a nasty spell like the pit of shades, of the comet of casandora, but that might be a bit cumberstone for your army list..

you couldn't kill it in CC with your DP's???

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    220 (x8)

Even Immune to Psychology doesn't mean Unbreakable, if you flank and rear charge him, he will flee...

You could always just ignore it for 6 turns and mop up the rest of his army?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah hadn't thought of pit of shades, the comet's a bit random and cramps teclis's style, also MR2 and 4+ ward save still tricky. Possibly repeated sniping of the lector who had armour of metioric iron with the base spell of the metal list. The altar itself, T5 5+ sv 4+ ward save 5 wounds...

Right sorry he is unbreakable as well, and chariot speed things are generally hard to ignore as i lack charge redirectors, admittedly my problem there.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    451 (x8)

remember that the war alter is still a chariot. throw in some S7 and it'll be auto destroyed. a character with the star lance is ideal for this purpose.

spambot kill tally: 79

[16:19] <@Alzer> Arky's right though
    [16:20] <@Kaiser-> I know he is.
    [16:20] <@Kaiser-> He usually is.
    [16:20] <@Kaiser-> Sometimes it's intentional.
    ----
    [00:01] <+zubus> i love you, ya skirt wearin nothern monkey! ^_^

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just as a heads up, Magic Resistance doesnt count for Comet, only for a spell that targets the unit, comet strikes a point on the board, you could place it in front of them and they could walk into it, you can place it on thier heads and magic resistance wont count towards it.
    Just like an AE spell of say 12" around wont be effected by MR.

Also its a chariot, put a noble on an eagle with a star lance and splinter it with strength 7.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    79 (x2)

Or don't waste a hero spot on a hero with a crappy mount and just shoot at it with RBTs. Hitting on 4s, wounding on 2s, with a 4+ or it blows up. With a little luck, 2 RBTS will make it a pile of rubble by turn 2.

Happy hunting.
    Fear me, mortals, for I am The Anointed, The Favored Son of Chaos, The Scourge of the World. The armies of the Gods rally behind me, and it is by My Will and by My Sword that your weakling nations shall fall. - Archaon, The Everchosen, Lord of the End Times

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    63 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by kithre View Post
    Even Immune to Psychology doesn't mean Unbreakable, if you flank and rear charge him, he will flee...

No he won't - when he's on the War Altar an Arch Lector is Unbreakable thanks to the Power of Sigmar rule (same rule that gives him MR2 and 4+ ward save).

Just shows how under-costed the War Altar is...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

5 knights... No characters, that is all

+ Reply to Thread