vs Tomb Kings - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: vs Tomb Kings

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    63 (x1)

vs Tomb Kings

Hi everyone,

Will be playing against Tomb Kings shortly and am currently trying to figure out what to put in my list. I have performed a search on this forum but most of the advice I'm finding is only valid for the 6th ed. HE book.

I've only played against the TKs once before (same player) but with Chaos Dwarves (as it was his first time with Tomb Kings I didn't think it was fair to use an army I was completely familiar with) and got beat (although admittedly we did cock-up the Killing Blow rule which meant my CD Lord's Great Taurus died when it shouldn't have). However, I was impressed with how a unit of Bull Centaurs cut through a unit of skellies (think that was the only unit that actually won a round of combat) and I'm thinking that I definitely need to be concentrating on reducing the TK ranks as much as possible before combat and having as many attacks as possible in close combat.

I'm currently looking at running a couple of units of Sword Masters, possibly in two ranks of seven (as opposed to what seems to be my standard at the moment of two or three units of six), giving one unit the Lion Banner. A unit of fifteen Phoenix Guard as the army centre.

For core I'm looking at two units of fifteen spears with Standard and Musician (not sure whether to splash the points for champions or not), giving one the warbanner. Still not quite sure whether to run these five wide as I would normally or go for seven wide so I'd still get nearly all my attacks on the charge.

I'm just not sure what to do with magic and shooting. I normally take two RBTs but I'm not sure whether to increase that to three to try and make sure I'm reducing his units faster than he can resurrect his rank and file. I'm also not sure what magic will be best to take.

Based on what my opponent took last time round and what he took against someone else, I'm expecting to see a couple of units of Tomb Guard, at least one Screaming Skull Catapault. He's previously run out the Casket of Souls, but against the high leadership of the High Elves I'm not sure if he's going to bother with that.

So, does anyone have any suggestions on this rough list and the magic/shooting I should take?

thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x2)

solely looking at the magic phase ; i think you should try to make it very hard for him to ressurrect.. so i would put a lv2 mage with annulian crystal in there, together with a lv1 scroll caddy, both with High magic, just trying to harras him with drain magic.

if you want some aggressive magic i would suggest Teclis with the anti-undead lore (i thought it was lore of life, but not sure).

good luck
    'Its better to have a swordmaster and not need her help, then to need her help and not have her'
    Byjugo's WIP Thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    57 (x1)

Lore of Light.

Also Drain Magic does NOTHING to Tomb Kings as their incantations dont have casting values. Annulian Crystal will also do nothing as they dont have a Power pool.

My main advice would be trhat you need enough magic and shooting that they have to come to you. If you create a list where he can sit back you're going to be in trouble. I'd take 2 units of archers as core and 2 other RBTs.

White Lions will be grand for you as will DPs with Ellyrion Banner because Tomb Kings dont like lots of terrain and the ability to put loads down then ignore it will be very useful.

In terms of magic I'd look at an archmage and 2 level 2s (my standard anyway) or Teclis and a level 2 if youre using Special Characters.

Obviously kill the Hiero and it looks very good so I would recommend a Star Lance noble on Great Eagle.

And make sure you roll your leadership checks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually, TK do get a power pool. every army does. They just don't use it to cast their incantations. Otherwise I agree, Lore of Light will ruin his day!

If you are going to go shooty, you need to take out his SSCs early, otherwise they will shred your low toughness troops and repeated panic tests are no fun. Dragon Princes will be immune to it at least, since the attacks are flaming. Get an eagle on it, or try and take it out with Shadow Warriors as early as possible.

+ Reply to Thread