Mages on foot: Why? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mages on foot: Why?

Sorry for another n00b question, but I'm a n00b

Is there any reason that you would ever want a mage on foot over a mounted mage on a barded steed? For the handful of points that it costs, you get a 5+ armour save on the mage, a decent increase in movement, and you can still attach to a unit to gain some protection from missile and magic damage.

Am I missing something or are mages on foot a considerably worse option?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    57 (x1)

If a mage gets into combat, it will die.

If a mge gets shot at, it will die.

A 5+ armour save will not change any of these facts. The only time I would EVER consider it is if I knew I was going up against an army with no shooting at all.

5+ armour just isnt that strong, and the ** points it cost could buy you another swordmaster.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I heard this same argument with the Guardian Phoenix on the Dragon Mage. Sure it's only a 33% chance of saving, but that's better than no chance, isn't it?

Then there is the mobility factor as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    57 (x1)

Mobility only applies if you're on your own, at which point a hail of ranged fire cones at you and its good night.

The guardian phoenix will ALWAYS dave 33% of the time. Anything S5 or S4 with armour piercing negates it completely straight away. So it definately isnt the same thing.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    80 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by WinnipegDragon View Post
    I heard this same argument with the Guardian Phoenix on the Dragon Mage. Sure it's only a 33% chance of saving, but that's better than no chance, isn't it?

Then there is the mobility factor as well.
    What good is mobility going to do when you can get singled out to any ranged unit on your opponents side.

Mages are best on foot because they can be hidden in large blocks of troops. If your going to put a mage on horseback, I'd suggest placing him in a large unit of DP's.
    Nights Justice Space Marines
    Eldar Eth Kariel Craftworld
    Spear of Kurnous - High Elf Expeditionary Army

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fair enough. So I guess the consensus is that it doesn't hurt, but it doesn't really help

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Points spend on defence mean less points spend on offence. I've seen a certain build but I'm not impressed, having a ward save is nice but the wizard is so frail, I really doubt it's worth it. If I am afraid of him getting hurt I'll pick Folariath's Robe or get some sort of bodyguards...
    This above all; to thine own self be true.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x2)

and a mage on a horse looks kinda silly if he's in a unit spearmen

main reason for me to leave him on the ground.. i really take the look and feel of my army into account
    'Its better to have a swordmaster and not need her help, then to need her help and not have her'
    Byjugo's WIP Thread

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

If you have him in a bodyguard unit, you don't want him on a horse. Wounds can be allocated to the bodyguards (archers) in a case of normal shooting or magic. Only if the attack specifies that it hits EVERYONE in the unit do you have to take save against the mage. Most importantly, is that a character on foot gets a "look out sir!" roll. This is an absolute lifesaver against those jerks that think a cannon is a precision instrument of war, and will fire it so that it hits your characters within the units. If you are on a horse, guess what: you just took that cannon ball to the face. If you're on the ground, you get to take a LOS! roll to see if some brave soldier can take the bullet for you.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why does a mage on a horse lose his 'LOS!' roll? His unit size is only 2, and I thought anything under US3 still gets it?

I'm not being argumentative either, you have all made some very good points, I'm just trying to learn as much as I can!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast