Quick question from a newbie - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quick question from a newbie

Hi there i thought this would be the best place for this question i have decided to start warhammer fantasy battle and i am thinking of starting high elves the question i wanted to ask is I am looking for an army that is fast and powerful magically not really bothered about there melee or shooting capabilities would i get what I am looking for with high elves or should i direct my attention (and money) somewhere else?? Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    80 (x2)

Well, they are fast, and they are powerful with their magic. Probably the strongest when you combine those two factors.

But your going to need more then just that. In my experience, Magic alone cannot win a game. It can certainly help seal the deal, but you've gotta have more to back it up. Especially if your playing against good magic resistant armies.
    Nights Justice Space Marines
    Eldar Eth Kariel Craftworld
    Spear of Kurnous - High Elf Expeditionary Army

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

High Elves certainly fit the bill.

But the trouble with one trick ponies (fast/magic army) is that it is a bit rock/paper/scissors when you play. Sometimes you will totally smash an army, but other armies will be nigh on impossible to beat.
    Mirage Arcana Podcast
    The "A Smart Player Will..." theory is a complete paradox. If we make an assumption that everything we do is outsmarted, then theoretically we can never win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dont worry i know this im not just basing my army on those 2 things its just the 2 things i want my army to be powerful in and then I am going to work out what welse i can do with it to make it better in the other areas as well after i meet these 2 points

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

While we are good at these 2 elements, I don't think that we are the best, I would give that to Dark Elves, Fast Cavalry and Harpies as Troops, Heroes on Manticores and capable of throwing down amazingly powerful offensive magic phases with just one or two mages.
    Cheers Allonairre

WIP Thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    139 (x8)

Wait... What is the point in having a fast army that is useless in combat? Surely the speed to get them near the opponent is then wasted...

HE can be great in combat, and are obviously among the faster armies around being elves. And yes they do have pretty good magic, but it costs a lot of points.
    The LO ANZAC Clan!

The Pirate's Haven BFG clan! Breathe life into this fantastic GW system.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    47 (x1)

How about a fast army to avoid combat?

But yeah, high elves or dark elves depending on what fluff you like.
    Last edited by Akaroth; June 13th, 2009 at 12:33. Reason: answering the question
    "Knights had no meaning in this game. This wasn't a game for knights."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    220 (x8)

I f you want fast and magically powerful without worrying about melee or shooting, then Elves are probably not the army for you.

High Elves pay a massive premium for essentially having army-wide ASF, and most of our special rules are bent towards close combat, though we do have some nice abilities like taking Dragon Mages in smaller armies Our Core are all infantry so by definition are not fast (though faster than most other infantry)

Dark Elves are T3 throughout, and as stated can take some nice mobile stuff, but their "fast" Core is expensive and of dubious battlefield prowess of you have no interest in shooting or melee. If you use them merely to deliver sorceresses around the park, then you are going to get decimated by superior shooting from gun-lines, or caught by enemy heavy cavalry or big nasty fliers. magic will never win a battle on its own...

I would suggest that the only army that could feasibly pull this off would be Daemons of Tzeentch - just the sheer volume of firepower that a demoans army can generate (remember that their units are also minor casters..) can cause serious pain to teh opponent,. However, once again, teh Core are not fast, being infantry models, its ony the Greater Demons (large targets) and Demon princes who can truly be classed as fast.

+ Reply to Thread