Seaguard Tactics - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seaguard Tactics

hey guys I was wondering if anyone had any experience using Seaguard on a regular basis. The only reason I may see myself taking a unit of them is maybe against a gunline Since They'll probably be deployed on a hill I can have the whole unit move up and fire at a warmachine or a unit of handgunners and hopefully try to kill off the crew or make the handgunners panic. Firing at a enemy hill is treated the same as a large target for shooting purposes isnt it? I have a unit of spearmen/seaguard and I love the idea behind them but I always find myself taking the bare minimum in archers and going to specials. If anyone here uses seaguard id like to know how you've used them and how well they've performed for you.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    220 (x8)

I use them, mainly because I have to to justify my Lord Admiral status. They are expensive for a core choice, but do mena that you have a mult-role unit with limite shooting and combat potential. A unit of archers will pull towards your table edge, a unit of spears should be rushing along to protect the flanks of your elite units, and Sea Guard are going to get left behind, unless you treat their bows as a "bonus" ASF-like attack when the enemy decide to charge you (same to-hit roll normally, same strength etc) and march them along with the rest of the battle-line

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They can be used to protect rbt's from support units such as flyers etc, by deploying them with the bolt thrower. They create an area that is unfavorable for fast cav, flyers etc to approach and as mentioned they have the stand and shoot as well as the asf spears so can deal with any light support units very effectively. The added bonus is that they can secure the table quarter they are deployed in with the rbt, allowing you move around with the rest of your force more freely.

yeah, they are more expensive, but so are all other helf core choices for what they can do e.g. spears are going to cost at least 160 points (15 with cmd) to actually be able to fight anything in cc effectivly, whereas seaguard as a defensive/support unit cost 120 for 10 and no cmd - which I don't think you need - If anything heavy does come at them they aren't gonna stand a chance anyway so you may as well at least not lose the extra 100 pts for the captured std.

hope that makes sum sense
    "Listen up you primitive screwheads, this is my BOOM-STICK" ... Ash - Evil Dead

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

If you head up to the High Elf Tactica at the top of our forum section, you'll find in the table of contents a link which goes to my article discussing the uses of a regiment of LSG. There are a few patches where edits need to be made, but the article itself is quite sound.

However, overall I would say that the LSG are a poor choice in a situation where you can field two designated units- archers and spears. Both units are more cost-effective. However, in low point games- 1k or 500pt especially, the LSG are fairly decent units.

I would still suggest reading through the tactica, any articles which interest you. They are all very well done, and each is extremely helpful. It's great that we in the HE section were able to compile such a masterpiece. Other sections have tried, and fallen apart. Just goes to show that HighElf players are superior beings...
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

+ Reply to Thread