Dark Elf advice for Friendly 2k - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dark Elf advice for Friendly 2k

Hey Everyone,

I'll be playing my first 2k sized game soon and I was wondering if I could get some advice. My Dark Elf opponent usually plays to win and therefore will have a very cheesy list. In the past with smaller games, (and according to friends in 2k games) He's employed a very magic heavy character roster, and brings all the dirty tricks that DE are notorious for (Cauldron, Hydra, Assassins, etc).

I guess my biggest question here is what is the most effective army set up for a magic heavy DE list?

Generally, I tend to take a balanced list with a little bit of everything. This has worked well in past, but I'm not sure if it will be as effective in bigger games.

To change things up, I was considering a Prince on a dragon, but I'm not really sure what to bring along with it since it will eat up a lot of my points. If a dragon at this point level isn't a good idea, what would be the best direction to take?

I know magic defense is a top priority so two mages with annulian crystal and dispel scrolls are a given.

A quick break down of your lists against DE, or any advice in general would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    109 (x3)

How about bringing Tyrion, Caradryan, the Banner of arcane Protection, two mages, seerstaff + dispel scroll, silver wand + Ring of Fury, Banner of Sorcery in Dragon Princes(Banner of Arcane Protection), two bolt throwers, archers for core, phoenix guard(Caradryan, banner of Sorcery), and an eagle. Everything but your eagle and bolt throwers had Magic Resistance 2 or better. Use Tyrion to loan range. 4 dispel dice and a scroll for defense, use both mages and the Ring of Fury for a bunch of blasty powerdice.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    125 (x4)

Teclis and a couple of Mages. Large unit of Dragon Princes (say 10?) with BSB with Battle Banner and the Banner of Arcane Protection on the Standard Bearer. 4 Bolt throwers to deal with Hydras.

Regards,
    5000p. High Elves
    1000p. Eldar

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

I play Dark elves frequently and have had real trouble with them. Our standard tricks, Drain Magic etc are less effective against them, pretty much every thing that I know about playing dark elves I put in the tactica. Have a look there it might help, there is a link stickied at the top of the HE Forum.

It might be worth considering the tricksters pendant, with a couple of casts of drain magic you force your opponent to use more dice than he should, hope for a miscast and then make him roll twice on the miscast table. It is a gamble, because there may be no miscasts all game but it can pay off big.

Have a look at the tactica and let me know if it is any use at all.
    Cheers Allonairre

WIP Thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To Zagman and Leviathan,

I guess I should have clarified on a few things. We usually don't play with special characters, so I wouldn't be able to use any. However, I do like your input on the MR items at our disposal. I will be sure to consider those for my future lists.

To Allonairre,

Now that I think about it, I did come across your section in the Tactica. It was a good read and reviewing it helped with some other questions I had. Our game was cancelled, but I'm sure I'll be facing him again sooner or later. However, I did want to ask your opinion on Dragons at 2k. Not just for Dark Elves, but for any opponent in general. I've considered the idea, but it seems like we could be putting too many eggs in one basket at 2k. Do you employ them at all? If you do, what do you usually take with them in this size game?

Again, any feedback from anyone else is welcome too.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

I don't use a dragon in low points games myself. Although I have considered the dragon mage a couple of times. In the end I agree with you about too many eggs in one basket, it is a basket that will crush your opponent ( I have used a star dragon at higher points) but I think that over 25% of your army in one unit no matter how tough is still too vulnerable. The game becomes about your opponent trying to kill your dragon. I think that above 2500 a pronce on a dragon is fine, there are lots of people that do use dragons in 2000 pts though.

I like to keep it as a fallback in case someone I play starts to beat me regularly. If I can win consistently without Teclis or a Stardragon then why bother with them. If I am losing consistently then I will try one of them to change my fortunes. My Dark Elf friend does the same thing with Demons, he only plays them to break a losing streak. He played them the other day I was pretty stoked.
    Cheers Allonairre

WIP Thread

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

I prince on a dragon in a 2k game can be nasty. Also, I don't buy into your friend saying that he doesn't want to use special characters. Tell him that the specials are legal, and that you no longer need permission to use them, so they're just as fair as his >>insert cheesy unit combo here<<.

I'd go with Teclis, and several Lvl1 mages. Give one the Staff of Sorcery and High Magic for a +2 to dispel attempts, give another the annulian crystal, and give the third a pair of scrolls or the Pendant. Don't bother with Magic Resistance. You're going to have 8+D3 dispel dice and a +2 to dispell rolls. Cast Drain Magic with Teclis, and you should be fine. If you want, you could include a Banner of Sorcery to make up for the low levels on your mages, and try to cast it with them, but I wouldn't really worry. I don't try to stop their stupid PD spell. They have to use all of those dice or they take wounds. More dice means a better chance of a miscast, so I let them go. Often times they get trigger happy, pull a bunch of dice, and then realize that they can't use them all unless they want to throw a bunch of dice at a single spell. Can't tell you how many times I've seen a Dark Elf blow himself up because he was too heavy handed with his PD.

If he's going magic heavy, what else does he have in the list?? Is the list shooting andmagic, or cavalry and magic, or just a balancedlist with a ton of magic characters. Because no matter what he's doing, he probably has a very low unit count. I'd go with a LOT of RBTs just to annoy him, and then bolster your lines with big blocks of Spearelves. Spearelves are amazing against Dark Elves, because of our ASF and ability to fight in 3 ranks. It's really the ONLY time they're worth anything, but 15 attacks will usually kill 7 DarkElves- enough to make sure that they don't strike back, and lose combat handily. And this goes right up through to their nasties like BlackGuard and Executioners.
    The only thing you'll have to deal with is the beasty hydras and any annoying Assassins. Assassins aren't bad though, because if you field Champions, you can challenge him when they're revealed. Your champion is doomed, buthis sacrifice will save you numbers in your unit, and let them do their best to drag down a few screaming dark elves to try and tip the combat back in your favor and break him.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

+ Reply to Thread