Rickrolled by Teclis - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rickrolled by Teclis

I'm never gonna give him up, and he's never gonna let me down...

Seriously though, I think I have an addiction here. I keep looking at my list, thinking "I'll take out Teclis and replace him with an archmage", then promptly think of all the times Teclis has been amazing and how I can't really think of where I'd spend the extra points anyway. I just can't stop throwing four dice at a spell without fear of a miscast, seeing two doubles pop up, and saying something like "Pit of Shades, IR" with two of the dice being the extras his staff brought in. I want an alternate list for friendly games that's still magic heavy but Teclis-free.

Someone help me break my habit! The withdrawls are nasty.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

High Elves can still take a magic-heavy list without taking the monster that is Teclis. I can validate your breaking the habit:
    Teclis, as a character, is nearly broken/cheesy. Winning with him is less glorious than winning without him. Players tend to dislike people who use Teclis as a crutch.

That wasn't an attack upon you, but rather upon Teclis as a character. I own the model, and haven't even assembled it. It's a tournament-only item for me. But I DO run with a lot more magic than I really should. Usually:

Level 4 w/ Book of Hoeth (same book that Teclis has, for IF casts)
    Lvl 2 w/ Starwood Staff (+1 to casting attempts)
    Lvl2 D.Mage w/ silver wand, Ring of Fury (3 spells, +1 dice to each cast, he's a spell spammer. DMages are also a poor choice, making the army a bit more friendly)
    Banner of Sorcery (+D3 PD? Sign me up)

Suddenly my army is tossing up to 16PD+1bound in a 2k list.

Usually, I focus more on magic defense, but you asked for an aggressive casting list. This build isn't as powerful as it would be if you swapped the Archmage or DMage for Teclis, but it's still the kind of list that makes people cringe.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Believe me I understand it's not an attack on me. That view is pretty universal, and it's one of the two reasons I want to swap him out. The other reason is that it just plain feels cheesy.

I'm considering a starwood staff + amulet of fire + ring of fury on the level 4, then leave the rest of my heroes as is with two level 2s that are drain magic spammers and dispel buffers (staff of sorc and annulian crystal), then a noble BSB. With the Banner of Sorcery that'd get me 2 + 4 + 2 + 2 + D3 = 10 + D3 + 1 bound and no guarantee to know an entire lore, but at least I'd get the +1 to casting so the archmage could go "Hah!" at Teclis on at least one point and I'll feel better.

Definitely avoiding a dragon mage, though. They just don't sit right with me for some reason.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Evertras

I know what you mean about Dragon mages, i have only started playing high elves and everytime i take a DM he is transformed into a pin cushion!

Also losing the option to have another hero class charactor is a big blow to the big plan.

The thing about teclis is your enemies hate him, with good reason. though its the same reason that dark elf units take assasins and chaos players take chaos knights, its because they work. But our crumbles about them being in every DE or CW horde is abaited with "they are on the list" but then so is teclis. and he is a bargin when you work out how many points of stuff he has (Arch mage level 4 with hoeth book is 360 points - him being only an extra 115). Maybe they would feel better if you just renamed him lmao.

But all the other suggestions above are good replacements for him (or maybe take an archmage on a dragon ).

Maybe you should try using his Brother instead for a while with 3 mages and just rotate which you use.

But its up to you if you can beat the addiction.

"remember all the best toasties are cheesy"

+ Reply to Thread