Dragon VS. Cannon - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x2)

Dragon VS. Cannon

Hi there,

End of the week i'm going to play my first lord level game. I've got quite some experience in warhammer in general, but always in low point battles. Till now.

So right now i want to get my Prince on Star Dragon of the shelf, and finally use it what it is meant for. I think it is a really great model both in a moddeling and a gaming perspective. So i think it would really suck if it gets blasted by a Great Cannon in turn 1.

So i was wondering how you guys protect your beloved beasty against those cannonballs hurling in your direction.

Greetings

-EDIT-

Here's the list i've got so far, i'm 94 points over budget, so i need to scrap something, but i don't really know what C&C are Welcome

Prince
    Star Dragon, Armour of Caledor,Vambraces of defence, Lance

Mage
    LV1 Staff of Sorcery
    Mage
    LV1 2x Dispel Scroll

10 Archers

10 Archers

15 Phoenix guard
    FC, Skeinsliver

12 White Lions

5 Dragon Princes

8 Shadow Warriors

RBT
    RBT
    Great Eagle

Last edited by Byjugo; June 9th, 2010 at 11:26.
    'Its better to have a swordmaster and not need her help, then to need her help and not have her'
    Byjugo's WIP Thread

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

b"h
    If you don't face a lot of cannon, but only a single cannon then you can hide behind a forest for the first turn and get in melee in the second.
    If you do face a lot of cannons (such as against dwarves or empire), then you should simply not bring dragons.
    If you still want to bring a dragon even though you know you will face multiple cannon then you should bring 2 dragon so at least one of them will get to the enemy.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x2)

Well, I Will be playing against empire, and i know he will field at least one cannon, possibly 2 or more.
    But I don't like the idea of a prince on foot, and we have agreed not to use named characters. So the dragon is a logical choice for me. And i don't have a second dragon model....(i'll post my army roster soon)

Another question:
    Do you randomise the hit from the cannonball between the character and the mount or do they both get the hit?
    'Its better to have a swordmaster and not need her help, then to need her help and not have her'
    Byjugo's WIP Thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

b"h
    The rules for cannons in page 87 say you randimize who is hitted, just like shooting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi guys, been playing since early nineties when I started university but havent used point values since... I just try to balance my man and elf armies against each other. They're all mine, my buddies will just take one side or the other. I haven't played since adding the prince on dragon and mage on Wyvern (Converted from a LOTR nazgul and spare rider from dragon set.) The elves do have larger spear and halberd units, but men have 13 cavalry to 3. The HE have a chariot but I converted some pieces and boar boys to make a boar chariot for men. The only real balance issue I have is men have a cannon, a helblaster cannon and a stone thrower. Will the three war machines overpower the dragon and wyvern?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hm. In my experience, one of two things will happen. 1) The war machines will fail utterly, only doing a few wounds, or 2) You'll go against someone with an excellent eye for distance and he'll drop your dragon with maybe two or three rounds of shooting. Get your Dragon in range of the Hellblaster and you'll run a pretty good risk of being heavily wounded. I don't personally have any dragon models, but I do play against lots of war-machine armies, so I'm just going off of general observation, but I would still be cautious.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

Definitely take care with the dragon, the obvious answer is to make the guesses longer if you can. Most people are pretty good at guessing short ranges (less than 30") but when you push them to guess longer than that they start to struggle.

There is no easy way to make sure that the dragon will survive but try and make guesses difficult and use terrain where possible, confirm what you can hide behind before the game. Put pressure on him early with alot of units, so that he has to choose to target Dragon, Dragon Princes, Lion Chariots etc. A Great Cannon cannot kill a Star Dragon in a single shot so that helps. Magic might help but probably not if you have a Star Dragon and are only playing 2000pts.
    Cheers Allonairre

WIP Thread

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

a really good ward save helps.......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Me and my friends dont use points values so no prob there. Im going to GW tonight to buy the paint kit for the realm of battle gameboard, maybe Ill pick up some trees and make more wooded areas or something. Thanks guys. I just finished my boar chariot last night and Im very pleased... Id like to change the wheels, but other than that it looks like an official model

+ Reply to Thread