What to do . . . - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What to do . . .

i've very recently started a high elves army, and have now been faced with the eternal tabletop question: What to do? High Elves seem to be a very flexible army, with plenty of magic, shooting, close combat and mobility in their arsenal. So what are some of the tactics that used by the more veteran players out there?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm hardly a "veteran player" and I'm still experimenting with a lot of things but what here's my two cents on the matter.

As you observed, High Elves are pretty flexible. This means that we are very capable of fielding a balanced but still competent army. I tend to focus a little more on magic and infantry, but I still put in cavalry and artillery just in case. I like to focus on magic because I generally design my list to be balanced for any opponent, rather than planning for a particular army. Because you don't have to have a set lore for tournaments you can switch what lore you're bringing based on who your fighting. I tend to use certain lores mostly on certain armies. High Magic for vampire counts, metal for dwarves, etc. A good Archmage can be the most versatile piece on the field if you play him right.

I like infantry because it's one place the elves really shine. Even our spearmen are a force to fear. Lots of people suggest units of 20 for spearmen, but I have been experimenting with groups of 30 in ranks of 6. So far I've been pleased with the results. The thing to remember with high elves is that your guys need to stick together. Each unit needs to be able to support the others. It's tempting to just have your cavalry run way ahead of your army but unless you're using something with good maneuverability like flyers, skirmishers or fast cavalry the unit is likely to be engaged and gobbled up. Marchblock with eagles, ambush with shadow warriors, or harry with reavers, but never, ever let your spearmen become isolated.

One last word on our artillery. It can look sort of limited, because we only have bolt throwers and they cost a ton in comparison to other bolt throwers, but I have fallen in love with these humble ballistae. The 6-bolt volley adds a level of versatility that other bolt throwers just don't have. Also, our bolt throwers don't explode. When the cannons of the emperor suddenly become scrap metal our bolt thrower will still be bringing down 3 or 4 knights a turn.

There's my take on the army. Just try to have fun with it. We have a lot of cool rules (*cough* ASF *cough*) and a lot of beautiful models. Try it out. Any way you go I'm sure you'll love this army.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, VenDraciese,
    Those are some very good points, but I have one more question:
    What do we use a Prince on a STar Dragon for? These seem to be pretty popular, but what is there use?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, VenDraciese,
    Those are some very good points, but I have one more question:
    What do we use a Prince on a Star Dragon for? These seem to be pretty popular, but what is there use?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x2)

The Stardragon is one of our most terrifying units we can field, it will cost around a whopping 600 points, but it really will give you a lot of bang for your buck. Exept for large rank and file units, the dragon will break most enemies in the first turn of combat.

The stardragon also is one of the most popular builds with tournament players because of its highly versatile nature..
    If you want to know why people use it, just use it yourself one time
    'Its better to have a swordmaster and not need her help, then to need her help and not have her'
    Byjugo's WIP Thread

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

Well, 8th edition is just around the corner, so I'll try to make a few suggestions at the end of my post to cover that. I'd hate to tell you to buy a Star Dragon when in about 2months, you'll only be able to use the model in games of 2500pts or more.

The main use of the Star Dragon right now is actually as a lethal, terror causing, fire-breathing march blocker. I usually don't even commit my dragon until one of the last two turns. When I do, I can expect him to hit the enemy from behind and break all but the hardest regiments. I don't commit however, because enemy dragons, cavalry, chariots, or characters are waiting for you to pin yourself down in combat.

Many HighElf armies are building the 'standard' Warhammer army. A hard anvil of Phoenix Guard hold the center of the army, while our Spearelves guard their flanks and face down enemy troops. The big identifier of an Elf army is their adherence to the MSU mentality. Multiple Small Units means that we rely on tiny regiments of 7-10 Swordmaster or possibly White Lions to function as flankers. These regiments swing in and rely on the Static Combat Res of their larger allies, and add a respectable amount of killing power to the total combat result.
    Cavalry is often limited in HighElf armies unless they focus on it. Our cavalry is often used to track down and destroy enemy light cavalry or to charge in as flankers. We use magic and our own shooting to engage enemy missile troops during our advance- sending in expensive cavalry unsupported is just wasteful as the enemy picks them out and targets the lead regiments.

How will this change in 8th edition?
    Well, to start, our shooting and magic has just become a bit more sub par. 6shot spreads coming off of our RBTs isn't quite as awesome when the enemy is running at you with 10times that number. Magic is the same, as character limits mean less casters, and dice caps mean less outbound spells. All of that means less softening up the enemy before combat.
    Casualties being removed from the rear means that we're going to be dealing with attacks back almost every time. This is discouraging when your best infantry armor save is a 5+. While we will be dealing a lot of damage with our high initiative and ASF, we are going to take more casualties than we ever have before.

The good news is that ASF is changing so that if you have higher WS (iirc) than your enemy, you are going to get to reroll your to-hits. So we're going to be dealing a bit more damage (remember, we're only S3).
    Furthermore, Martial Prowess is going to let us attack in 2 ranks (every one does now) +1 with spears, and +1 for martial prowess. That's going to be 4 ranks striking the enemy.
    The Volley rule is oddly better for our fighters than for our actual archers. As bows will be firing in 2 ranks, plus half of each additional rank, our big blocks of Sea Guard are going to be able to do a lot of extra damage.

Well, there are some things to think about, I hope that they help.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this has all been very helpful, but, again, I have anther question: What is ASF?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    238 (x6)

ASF is the universal special rule Always Strikes First. Every elf in the High Elf army has this rule because of their army special rule "Speed of Asuryan".
    Thou shalt remember:
    Warhammer Fantasy armies do NOT have Codices. They have Army Books.

LINK - Guitarists of LO Group

+ Reply to Thread