Advice for tournie this weekend - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    63 (x1)

Advice for tournie this weekend

Hi everyone

I'm off to my first tournie this weekend and I'm looking for a bit of advice.

At this tournament all the armies are sorted into bands and depending on what band your opponent's army is, you get to use a number of 250 pt "reserves" which have to contain legal units. As HE I get 2 reserves if I'm playing against DoC or DE and 1 against Empire, VC, Skaven and Lizardmen.

My core army (won't post full details just in case any of my opponents happens to peruse this forum) is:

Archmage
    Noble BSB
    Archers
    Spearmen block
    White Lion block
    Sword Masters
    Dragon Princes
    Ellyrian Reavers
    Lion Chariot
    2 x RBTs

First reserve:
    Shooty Noble
    RBT

Second reserve:
    Great Eagle
    Mage

I'm basically looking for advice on which reserve people think would be best to use against the armies where I can only use 1.

I know that I've got Empire in the 2nd round as the first 2 rounds have already been drawn. The guy I'm facing came 4th in the previous run of this tournament and is likely to be fielding a rather filthy Empire army if some of his posts are any indication. While some of it may be misdirection, there's a good chance he'll have the following (including his reserve):

Arch Lector on War Alter
    3 Wizards
    3x 10 Crossbows
    3x 5 Knights
    2x Cannon
    2x Steam Tanks
    1x Outrider

I'm guessing that he may have a unit of knights and a wizard in his reserve, possibly with one of the crossbow units (think that comes to about 250pts).

Now I've played a practice game against my regular Empire opponent who took something a bit less power gamey (only 1 Stank, general was a Templar Grand Master, only 1 unit of Knights, some infantry blocks) and even then it was a solid win to him, so I'm guessin that against this guy I'm going to have my work cut out to avoid being massacred.

My natural instinct would probably be to take my first, shooty reserve but I'm wondering if that is the right course when the chances are that unless I stick my bolt throwers close to the board edge, they're probably going to get 1 turn of shooting before any Knights come charging in (I don't fancy my chances of getting 1st turn - I always seem to roll lower) and if he gives the Stanks some steam points they can be across the board pretty quick as well.

Likewise against VC and Lizards, I'm tempted to take the 2nd reserve with the Mage in it, but I'm not sure if going more shooty would be better, especially against Lizards. Skaven I'm completely clueless on which would be best - I'm thinking possibly the 2nd reserve if the opponent has a HBA so I can put Fire magic on him, but again, would taking more shooting possibly be better?

thanks

Follow me on Twitter: @sorberec. My painting blog here.
    Want to find a tournament? Check out the Wargame Tournaments website or follow updates on Twitter.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x2)

I think you should change some things in your main list.

A single lv4 wizard wont do it if you really want to get something through. If you just want to dispell, get 2 lv 1's.

if you are really that afraid of the empire player you might want to field 4 RBT's, shooting his Stank, causing a few wounds, and then let it blow up itself.

just my 2 cents
    'Its better to have a swordmaster and not need her help, then to need her help and not have her'
    Byjugo's WIP Thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

63 (x1)

Well it's too late to change lists as they were submitted last week. In any case, I'm pretty much taking what I had painted or almost painted so there wasn't a great deal of flexibility to start with.
    Want to find a tournament? Check out the Wargame Tournaments website or follow updates on Twitter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oooh, that is a downright cheesy army... Sheesh. The best bet of course would be a combination of both, with a wizard for dispelling and a RBT for taking on his really tough units... Okay... here's my suggestion for empire. Take the first reserve, and take High Magic with your Archmage. Cast Drain Magic at the end of each turn after getting rid of some of his dispel dice with spells and bound items. Position your bolt throwers as far away from each other as possible so that if he attacks one he'll have to expose his knights' flank to the others. Kill his outriders very very fast with archer volleys, a RBT volley if necessary. It doesn't look like he's bringing any fast cavalry, so do your best to outmaneuver him with what you've got. I can't possibly predict his strategy so use your fast moving units to respond to whatever he does. You'll just have to think on your feet for that part.

Your biggest worry besides the stanks is probably that walter, so do your best to take it out. Still, your very, very, very first priority is to get one or more wounds on those stanks. They'll start to fall apart after a bit, and whatever you do don't try to engage them. It's better that they stay in one place firing cannons and acting as damage interdiction than if they run over your units, and because it can basically cause impact hits whenever it wants you can't rely on ASF to save you. It'll be hard to win against such a cheesy army, but you have to at least try.

For VC, take reserve 2 and have both mages take high magic. Hit 'em hard with all the goodies that are in the lore, then finish off the round with the Lvl 2 casting drain magic and then follow up with the lvl 4 doing the same thing. He'll have to choose between watching his units burn under the Flames of the Phoenix or being unable to raise his units from the dead. Put him on the defensive in his thinking, even if you're on the defensive on the field.

For Lizard Men, basically use the same strategy I suggested for the Empire. His units are tough, and you'll need that armour piercing.

Skaven, go for the second reserve and just blow him up with whatever lore you feel is necessary. If he fields anything really cheesy like the plague furnace you can probably take it down with a little bit of luck and a couple of bolts.

Good luck! Make sure you tell us how the tournament goes!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

63 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by VenDraciese View Post
    Oooh, that is a downright cheesy army... Sheesh. The best bet of course would be a combination of both, with a wizard for dispelling and a RBT for taking on his really tough units... Okay... here's my suggestion for empire. Take the first reserve, and take High Magic with your Archmage. Cast Drain Magic at the end of each turn after getting rid of some of his dispel dice with spells and bound items.
    Just been thinking on this - mightn't getting Drain Magic off be a bit of a phyrric victory? Since the Arch Lector effectively has 3 bound spells (2 prayers and 1 bound from the Golden Griffon) Drain Magic will increase the effective power level of those and make it header for me to dispel them won't it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

63 (x1)

Well have played 3 games now. First game against Warriors was a draw - somewhat soft WoC list. No knights, no Chaos Warriors. Took Hell Cannons which did have me a bit worried.

Can't say I was overwhelmed by the magic and managed to get Drain Magic off a few times. Neither of my 2 main blocks got into combat (but then neither did his). One Hellcannon went down to fire from Archers and attacks from Sword Masters, the other lost a couple of wounds from a Bolt Thrower, another wound from a stand and shoot from the Reavers and then got finished off by the Elven steeds.

Made a mistake at the end of the game by not moving the Arch Mage out of range of a Magnificent Buboes which finished him off.

Game two got mashed by the Empire. One unit of Knights and the Outriders were in his reserve so I was "just" facing 2 Stanks, Waltar, 2 x 5 Knights, 3 x 10 Crossbows, 2 x Great Cannon and 3 Level 2s.

Main mistake I made was not moving my blocks away from the Stanks and Waltar once the game started. As they were all on one flank I could probably have kept them alive for much longer if I'd moved as much as possible towards the other flank. Magic was a bit more of a bother this time around

Game 3 was against Beastmen. This time the magic was overwhelming with just the Arch Mage vs 3 Level 2s. Didn't know how best to deal with the ambushers that came on and probably picked the wrong side of the table, so got massacred again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

63 (x1)

Belated update on the last 3 games of the tournament.

Game 4 was versus Dwarfs. He had an extra 250 points over me for this game because of the bandings. He took out my Bolt Throwers early on. The Lion Chariot fluffed completely against a Dragon Slayer - 1st round charged in and did a single wound through impact hits and nothing from the lions or crew. Second round lions and crew failed to hit at all and the Slayer finished off the chariot. My spearmen and White Lion blocks ended up in combat with his Longbeards and Warriors. Nice big multi-turn mashups. Unfortunately the Spear block broke last turn and handed him a minor win. Easily best game of the tournament.

Game 5 against Warriors of Chaos. Again it was a big of a cagey affair, probably because as with the other Warriors game, it was a lengthways scenario, and he didn't really come at me which was surprising as he'd got more of what I'd expected to see from a Warriors army - a couple of units of Knights and a block of Warriors. His Warriors hid in a building all game with his Sorcerers, taking potshots at the White Lions. I managed to get rid of a unit of Knights, most of his chaff units, half a Hellcannon and a couple of knights off the other unit. I lost the Sword Masters and half the Dragon Princes and a few White Lions. Was heading for a draw then last turn I blew my Arch Mage up and took the White Lions below half original size.

Game 6 was against Empire. This time it was only 1 Steam Tank and Waltar and I coped better. Another game with a great big mashup of units - he had a big (2 unit of Great Swords with a Warrior Priest and BSB and I fed the Spearmen, Lion Chariot and Dragon Princes into it trying to take it down. In the end it was a draw - I was only about 40 points off a minor win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

63 (x1)

Overall I was pleased with how I did - as it was my first tournament and I don't get to play much anyway I was expecting to get massacred every game, so two draws and two minor losses were victories for me in a way.

In terms of magic offence the Arch Mage just about worked. In a couple of games I got low rolls on the Banner of Sorcery all through but most of the time I was getting 8 or 9 power dice a phase, plus the Ring of Fury. I just did have some bad dice in some games which meant I wasn't always forcing my opponent to make a choice between trying to dispel now or later.

Defensively having just the Arch Mage was touch and go in a few games, especially as I only had the points to spare for a single scroll. It probably cost me most in the Beastmen game where I just didn't know what to do against the army and what spells I could afford to let go through and against the Empire in the last game I was having to let the Wizard cast spells in order to save dice to try and stop the Prayers from the Warrior Priest and Arch Lector as well as the inevitable Cleansing Flares from the War Altar

+ Reply to Thread