ASF in 8th Edition - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ASF in 8th Edition

Hey guys I am reposting this as a new thread because I thought this might be quite important for us serving in the Glittering Host. I have a general question here.

My continual praying to Asuryan has resulted in GW in sending me my new shiny 8th edition rulebook to me early (received yesterday ) and I am left wondering; I know that close combat now strikes in a strict initative order and that ASF is cancelled out if a model is wielding a great weapon (basically striking in initative order after ASF models have attacked). I had a look at the "Speed of Asuryan" rule in our trusty rulebook and word for word it states:

"All elves have the special rule 'Always strikes first', regardless of the weapon that they are wielding. See main rulebook for details of this special rule."

Now if I am interpreting this right (and certainly hoping so), does this mean that our faithful SM and WL still get the advantage of having ASF and striking first in combat even though they are wielding Great Weapons (as they do in 7th edition) and not in initative order??

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Monkey of Mystery The Paint Monkey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    743 (x8)

Sadly no- they have the rule but it's negated by their enormous sword. They'd still ASF with their hand weapon, though. This might be FAQ's, and they usually go against how I deduce it so you might still be in luck.
    No more NG spearmen, thanks! Now I need some pump-wagons!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well that is what I thought when the rumour mill first started cranking over, but I had underlined the part of the speed of asuryan rule I felt was important. Also i found a small section in the 8th edition rulebook (page 11 for reference) that says that if a rule in an army book conflicts with a rule in the rulebook, the rule in the army book always takes precedence. If so wouldnt the rule be the same in 8th as it is for 7th, because great weapons made you strike struck last in combat anyway?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

as long no eratta or faq tells that they strike in initiative order they strike first

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

Errat is out,we retain ASF even with a great weapon, our Princes/ nobles on horses just became great, 4 attacks at strength 6 with re-rolls to hit.

Yay go Elves.

Link
    Cheers Allonairre

WIP Thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

except for the fact that we can only field 2 bolt throwers and 2 great eagles maximum in an army less then 3000 points.......

But if that is our only downside I can live with it.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

Nope, we got lucky there too. Top right paragraph of the page " Add "Elite Army - The High Elves are few in numbers, but their armies are trained and equipped to standards so high that they are the envy of all other races. To represent this, they have no limit to the Duplicate Choices of their Special and Rare troops.”

Go us - I see a lot of bolt throwers in some armies lol

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

Ha ha that got added later.
    Cheers Allonairre

WIP Thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    63 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Chromy35 View Post
    except for the fact that we can only field 2 bolt throwers and 2 great eagles maximum in an army less then 3000 points.......

But if that is our only downside I can live with it.....
    Actually I'd say we got stuffed with the fact that Bolt Throwers are now basically only 2 wounds as they only have 2 crew. It was bad enough praying cannon didn't take them out first turn when they had 3 wounds but now they're pretty much goners if we don't get first turn
    Follow me on Twitter: @sorberec. My painting blog here.
    Want to find a tournament? Check out the Wargame Tournaments website or follow updates on Twitter.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

399 (x8)

I don't think that we got stuffed as such, cannon could always take out a bolt thrower fairly easily. All Warmachines got a bit stuffed as they are now wounded on 6's by everything, so it is more the S3 or 4 bowfire that we are going to suffer from than the cannon shots.
    Cheers Allonairre

WIP Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast