Noble on Griffon viable w/ new rules? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Noble on Griffon viable w/ new rules?

With the stomp ability to MC now do you guys think a noble on Griffon would be pretty good?

I know fly isn't so great anymore with only 10", but I always liked the idea of coming down on my foes on a huge griffon

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    60 (x2)

Well fly is basically still the same, except for charging - you can 20" flying march, and charge up to 22". You can't do anything else though, but you wouldn't want to anyway. Thunderstomp and +1 save to the rider are nice little bonuses, which serve to partially offset the fact that terror got hit with the nerf-stick.

I'd say that, provided you can stop the thing getting shot, it will serve reasonably well as a "breaker" unit - so tie up the enemy unit with block infantry for static res, and bring the griffon in to deal the damage and hopefully swing the fight in your favour.

I think they're a nice flavourful addition, but in 7th edition they were always too many points for not enough benefit. There were always better things to spend the points on. That's changed slightly in 8th, but I couldn't really say how much without a bit of playtesting.

V
    It has yet to be proven that intelligence has any survival value. - Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

Unfortunately even with the cool new plastic griffon that is coming in Island of Blood, Griffon's are still not a great way to use a lord or spend points.

True Line of Sight hits large models pretty hard and Griffons are very vulnerable to shooting, they are also very vulnerable to enemy attacks due to mediocre toughness and no armour. They are worth playing with in a fun sense but they don't remove ranks any more and still cost a tonne. I don't think that I will use one in a hurry, except maybe as a 3rd lord Choice, Arch mage first, well protected General second, Infiltrating or flying prince third.

I would use one often if they were the same monster category as an eagle and only available to a prince however this is not the case.

Just a note on manuevring monsters against stone throwers, The template must be fully in line of sight and only the stone does D6 wounds, so it is reasonably easy to force indirect fire (compulsory scatter) onto Stone Throwers.
    Cheers Allonairre

WIP Thread

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    80 (x2)

I never had a problem with the Griffon being targetted in CC. Why go after the T5 guy, when you can go after the squishy T3 guy? Kill him, and you got a pretty decent chance of the griffon becoming a wasted 350pts for the rest of the game.
    Nights Justice Space Marines
    Eldar Eth Kariel Craftworld
    Spear of Kurnous - High Elf Expeditionary Army

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    79 (x2)

Dumb. Cuz the T5 guy doesn't have any armor, nor does he have 100 points worth of save-my-ass items. If you charged that thing into my chaos warriors I would throw all attacks at the bird in a second.
    Fear me, mortals, for I am The Anointed, The Favored Son of Chaos, The Scourge of the World. The armies of the Gods rally behind me, and it is by My Will and by My Sword that your weakling nations shall fall. - Archaon, The Everchosen, Lord of the End Times

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    60 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by BrockSamson View Post
    If you charged that thing into my chaos warriors
    So, for all the other armies who don't have the same kind of stat-line as chaos warriors, a Griffon is still fairly tough to take down (although easier now that 6's always wound...). That said, if I decided to use a Griffon, I would think twice and then probably think again afterwards about sending it in against ranked anything - never mind CWs - without enough support to be reasonably confident about no attacks or at least only very few attacks coming back.

Dragons give you more bang for your buck - at 50% more points for a Moon Dragon, I'd go with the dragon, and I suspect that most people will echo that opinion.

Which is a shame, because the new griffon is very nice.

V
    It has yet to be proven that intelligence has any survival value. - Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not impressed with the Island of Bloods lord choice. A Prince on a Griffon seems to be an okay not-enough-for-a-dragon-but-still-the-same-basic-idea unit, but them model just makes me want to set fire to the box . . . anyways, Prince on Griffon seems okay to me, as long as your rider is well protected and has an okay magical weapon, it could be a good use of points. Support tyed up units, war machine hunting, or, just destoying small units early on.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

I really like the model but it does seem to be a slightly bizarre inclusion as due to its cost it cannot be fielded until around 1500 pts, which the boxset comes nowhere near.
    Cheers Allonairre

WIP Thread

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    220 (x8)

I'd be tempted to use a War Eagle rather than a Griffon (and in fact a Noble on Eagle is more bang for buck..). As its a monstrous beast with a rider, you get the rules for monstrous cavalry which are pretty nifty, such as stomp, using the net highest wounds of the model (rider oor mount - which in teh case of a Noble is the Mount!) + a single Armour save for teh rider.

Eagles are the new future in my opinion... To many pros and not enough cons, as you can equip your Prince with Armour of Caledor/Vambraces etc and essentially give him some additional high WS medum Strength attacks!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

399 (x8)

I agree, + for shooting you use the better toughness which is the eagles T4.
    Cheers Allonairre

WIP Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast