Grey Knight turned High Elf - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Grey Knight turned High Elf

Hey all, so I've been thinking for a while now to start a fantasy army, and really like the look and feel of the High Elves. Now, I have an ungodly amount of pure Grey Knights (11k points or there abouts) and really love the look and feel of LARGE armies.

So I was in my local GW today and started putting together a list for funzies. So I started with what all new HE players of course want, a MOTHERF***ING STAR DRAGON!!!! bam, 614ish points there. Well now what else to add? Hmm, lets see, the two most awesome characters in the book? Sure why not! Tyrion and Teclis. another 800 pts, well damn, now I need a standard bearer, okay, go cheap here, take a noble on a barded steed. Now I know what you're all saying, dude that's 1500 pts of just lords, your gonna need at least 6k points in order to use them all at once. Okay fine

Another thing I really like is themed/fluffy armies, so I thought it would be cool to kinda set a tone for my army and a little background fluff. Of course Tyrion and Teclis have their own backgrounds, but what about my Prince and Noble? Well, wouldn't it be cool to have a 2 pairs of brothers fighting side by side? Delving into my love of Greek mythology, I decided to make them the brothers Ajax. Telemon Ajax, riding the big bad dragon, and his little brother Oeilius Ajax, bearing the banner of Caledor. Since Telemon has the dragon.

Now okay, they come from Caledor, that gives me something to work off of. Who or what else is from there, I know the Dragon Princes! So what are good nice round numbers I like, well how bout 2 units of 10?

Now, core, what to do here? Lets keep it simple go for 4 blocks of 50 Lothern Sea Guard. Like i said, im just starting, think these guys are way awesome. I know spears/archers might work better in large games, but i just like these guys too much. that comes out to about 2600 pts

Which leaves about 900 pts, I decided to take 30 each of the swordmasters and pheonix guard.

So heres the list:

Lords
    Tyrion
    Teclis
    Prince on Star Dragon

Heroes
    Noble BSB

Core
    50x LSG w/ FC} x4

Special
    10x Dragon Princes\
    15x Swordmasters > x2
    15x Pheonix Guard /

Comes out to about 6093 pts.
    Now to go about collecting them all. So far most of it is pretty straight forward,
    1x Dragon, Tyrion, Teclis, Noble
    3x Pheonix Guard
    4x Dragon Princes

The swordmasters and LSG are where I hit a bit of a snag.

Since the new models are only in the new IoB set, its hard to come by them.
    Plan a) I was thinking of getting 4 sets of the old metal LSG models (both the command and unit of 5) to use as the front rank of each unit, and then just use regular new plastic spearmen to fill out the rest of the 4 hordes.
    Plan Get 4 IoB sets for the 40 LSG to use as the front rank. Also getting the IoB sets would fill out my Swordmasters with 10 left over. Now I know what you're thinking, but due to some special circumstances, I have a large discount off of one single order at my local store, so i can get 4 boxes of IoB for relatively cheap. In fact, I can get this entire army for about $750.

So one thing that would really help me make a decision is if anyone would want to buy a) the skaven in the box for very cheap, and b) the Griffon, mage, and Reavers are also for sale very cheap. If you are interested, PM me.

I also appreciate any info you have regarding HE, tactics for this army, ways to break this army down for fairly competitive play in smaller games, and any other advice! I hope you all welcome me into the ranks of the Defenders of Ulthuan!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    220 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by The Ordo Malleus View Post
    Hey all, so I've been thinking for a while now to start a fantasy army, and really like the look and feel of the High Elves. Now, I have an ungodly amount of pure Grey Knights (11k points or there abouts) and really love the look and feel of LARGE armies.

So I was in my local GW today and started putting together a list for funzies. So I started with what all new HE players of course want, a MOTHERF***ING STAR DRAGON!!!! bam, 614ish points there. Well now what else to add? Hmm, lets see, the two most awesome characters in the book? Sure why not! Tyrion and Teclis. another 800 pts, well damn, now I need a standard bearer, okay, go cheap here, take a noble on a barded steed. Now I know what you're all saying, dude that's 1500 pts of just lords, your gonna need at least 6k points in order to use them all at once. Okay fine

Another thing I really like is themed/fluffy armies, so I thought it would be cool to kinda set a tone for my army and a little background fluff. Of course Tyrion and Teclis have their own backgrounds, but what about my Prince and Noble? Well, wouldn't it be cool to have a 2 pairs of brothers fighting side by side? Delving into my love of Greek mythology, I decided to make them the brothers Ajax. Telemon Ajax, riding the big bad dragon, and his little brother Oeilius Ajax, bearing the banner of Caledor. Since Telemon has the dragon.

Now okay, they come from Caledor, that gives me something to work off of. Who or what else is from there, I know the Dragon Princes! So what are good nice round numbers I like, well how bout 2 units of 10?

Now, core, what to do here? Lets keep it simple go for 4 blocks of 50 Lothern Sea Guard. Like i said, im just starting, think these guys are way awesome. I know spears/archers might work better in large games, but i just like these guys too much. that comes out to about 2600 pts

Which leaves about 900 pts, I decided to take 30 each of the swordmasters and pheonix guard.

So heres the list:

Lords
    Tyrion
    Teclis
    Prince on Star Dragon

Heroes
    Noble BSB

Core
    50x LSG w/ FC} x4

Special
    10x Dragon Princes\
    15x Swordmasters > x2
    15x Pheonix Guard /

Now to go about collecting them all. So far most of it is pretty straight forward,
    3x Pheonix Guard
    4x Dragon Princes

Plan a) I was thinking of getting 4 sets of the old metal LSG models (both the command and unit of 5) to use as the front rank of each unit, and then just use regular new plastic spearmen to fill out the rest of the 4 hordes.
    Plan Get 4 IoB sets for the 40 LSG to use as the front rank. Also getting the IoB sets would fill out my Swordmasters with 10 left over. Now I know what you're thinking, but due to some special circumstances, I have a large discount off of one single order at my local store, so i can get 4 boxes of IoB for relatively cheap. In fact, I can get this entire army for about $750.

So one thing that would really help me make a decision is if anyone would want to buy a) the skaven in the box for very cheap, and b) the Griffon, mage, and Reavers are also for sale very cheap. If you are interested, PM me.

I also appreciate any info you have regarding HE, tactics for this army, ways to break this army down for fairly competitive play in smaller games, and any other advice! I hope you all welcome me into the ranks of the Defenders of Ulthuan!
    Griffon, mage and Reavers would interest me - alack I am in the UK, so shipping might be snaggy....

As for smaller games - you'll fine that you can field either tyrion or Teclis or teh Star Dragon, though at less than 2500 pts, the SD is really out (smaller dragon? Possibly) and really only Teclis is bang for buck at those points. I'd also opt for getting a decent Prince on Foot - using a SM hero and customising it suitably, or else purchasing one of the High Elf heroes on foot is a good plan IMHO...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I would be looking at selling very cheaply

10x Swordmasters w/ FC
    4x HE Mages / HE Prince on Griffon
    20x Ellyrian Reavers

4 each of Skaven
    Warlords
    Engineers
    Master Moulders
    Warpfire Throwers
    Poisoned Wind Mortars

160x Clanrats
    8x Rat Ogres
    Basically if I could get $50 for each thing divided by 4 I would be happy. (You could even get 5 reavers, 1 mage and griffon, and the skaven half of IoB for $50) so, well yeah. Hope to hear from yall!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    286 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by The Ordo Malleus View Post

So heres the list:

Lords
    Tyrion
    Teclis
    Prince on Star Dragon

Heroes
    Noble BSB

Core
    50x LSG w/ FC} x4

Special
    10x Dragon Princes\
    15x Swordmasters > x2
    15x Pheonix Guard /

3x Pheonix Guard
    4x Dragon Princes

here's some advice, FILL OUT YOUR RARE SLOTS WIT RBT'S! NO HE ARMY IS COMPLETE WITHOUT AT LEAST 1OF THEM! ok so each has 2 wounds, but can shoot 6 shots each @48" range! this stops everyone, Chaos, DE, Lizardmen, Ogres, Orcs, Gobbos, EVEN Dwarfs!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    94 (x3)

I agree. RBTs and Mages are what you seem to be lacking at this point.

Cheers,
    LS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    65 (x1)

10x Swordmasters w/ FC
    4x HE Mages / HE Prince on Griffon
    20x Ellyrian Reavers
    I would be interested in buying all of these models from you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ZOMG You're Thinking Big XD
    Um Yeah I'd Keep The Mage, At Least 1. Get Some Bolt Throwers In There, 3 Maybe? They Certainly Show Their Worth In Smaller Games. Also, Look About Online At Bitz Stores And You'll Be Sure To Find The Lothern Sea Guard For Very Cheap On Their Own. In THe Last Box I Ordered The Goblins For A Friend Off Battlewagonbitz For £5 Per Unit Of 20! Im Sure You Could Find An Local Equivelant? Would Save You Buying The Battle For Blood Island Boxy Thing Over And Over.
    Richie<3

+ Reply to Thread