Dragons and Tyrion - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dragons and Tyrion

Hey all. I've been gone for months now and am just getting back into my High Elves. I left right before 8th came out so I'm still getting a handle on it. I've been reading up on it on here and have looked at quite a few army lists and noticed that virtually none of them have dragons or chars like Tyrion in them and before I left dragons seemed to be fairly common place. What makes them less wanted now in 8th?

Thanks all

Mike

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some people I spoke to about this a few months ago claimed they felt, in lower point battles, special characters and large monsters were not worth it unless you knew your opponent was using them.

While they are a high toughness (dragons at least) they can be killed in the first round of missile fire by such as empire and dwarf armies.

Personally, if battle was less than 2500 pts, I would look to fill rank and file, especially with the new horde rule.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x1)

Tyrion has taken a relatively huge blow from the fact, that in 8th, you can no longer have Regen and a Wardsave. The main point however is - Magic has become awesome, plain and simple. And we're by all means the masters of that, surpassing even the slann. So until you run Teclis and a Book-Archmage together, there is virtually no reason, to spend your precious lord allowance on something else.
    The Silver Knights of Tor Adrac (He): 26/2/4
    The Spears of Slaanesh (Woc): 7/2/5
    Battlegroup Chalybso (GK): 7/3/3

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    220 (x8)

Dragons are still our ace in the hole, but magic is much stronger now for certain armies - much more so than 7th where now a miscast will also mean casting the spell. However a combat character like Tyrion is a useful points denial unit. He can easily overcome virtually any other character out there - especially with his high WS and I coupled with ASF. He strikes hard and strikes true - and most lores like metal will bounce off him due to his 2+ ward save against flaming attacks and breath weapons. His 4+ ward is also increased due to the heart of Avelorn against magic generally. An opponent is generally going to have to tar pit him or spend a lot more points than he is worth to pin him down or neutralise him - else he may lose heavy hitters like Chaos knights and Blood knights to a speculative charge by Tyrion. Tyrion will literally EAT a unit of Chaos knights, and also do alot of damage against most other ehavily armed and armoured foes, he is best used against units with good armour but relatively low strength attacks (S5 is about the limit) so his own save does not get reduced too much. Fortunately he outdistances these enemies, they are generally not fielded in ranks and so he can remove all enemies in B2B contact with him, and they cost a lot of points so he can earn his points back after taing out 2 such units (not very frequent though that two such units will be present unsupported...).

His speed allows him to go around enemy units picking on lone characters - and that ward save allows him to be able to face enemy heavy weapons fire for a turn and weather the storm, and gcan then eliminate the offending weapons easily enough.

He has distinct advantages over a dragon in that he is not 2 distinct components, just a single model with some pretty good stats on the mount as well.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x1)

Kithre, do I assume correctly you run Tyrion alone, without a unit?

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

While he's not as survivable as in 7th, he'll still do pretty well on his own now.
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've always like Tyrion a lot. So generally an archmage would be the way to go these days? I'd love to get an archmage and tyrion on the field together. That would rock. Maybe put him in with silver helms or dragon princes.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    220 (x8)

Depends on who I am playing and how I am running the army. I can see situations where Tyrion augments a unit - but you can achieve almost the same effect using a Noble on steed in a unit of Dragon Prince. I use Tyrion most often to take out enemy expensive characters and models, archmages lurking behind lines, Giants, Trolls with his flaming attacks etc. Generally he can sneak through anenemy line reasonably quickly and get to the soft centre of an army without having to go through the enemy units himself. ANd then using him to charge teh rear of an enemy unit is always useful...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    80 (x2)

I'm not sure about putting Teclis and an Archmage in an army together. You are still just getting 2d6 power dice. Teclis would eat up everything trying to maximize his IR's. Going with another Archmage with the BoH would seem like a massive point sink to me.
    Nights Justice Space Marines
    Eldar Eth Kariel Craftworld
    Spear of Kurnous - High Elf Expeditionary Army

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x1)

Don't forget the 2D3 from Teclis and the Spellbanner, which you can technically sneak past the 12 Dice restriction. Plus, A throned Mage pf life AND Teclis with shadow means, no matter what spell you need, you're pretty much guaranteed to pull it off. Plus, in a 4k point game, you don't have the points to take Teclis and someone on a star dragon, so it's kind of ok.

+ Reply to Thread