Seerstaff trickery - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    125 (x4)

Seerstaff trickery

Hey,

I was preparing a list for a 4000p. game when an idea struck me, and I wanted to share this idea with my fellow HE players. I know many HE player take the Book of Hoeth along with the Lore of Life for some serious buffing, and I think this is an alternative if you either play in a tournament where it's banned, or you want your list to look more friendly.

What you do, is to take a lvl. 4 Archmage with the Lore of Life and the Silver Wand. The rest of the equipment is of your choice. Then, you take a lvl. 2 Mage with the Seerstaff, also with the Lore of Life. Because the spells of the lvl. 2 Mage are not generated randomly, you can have duplicate spells from the Lore of Life, and with some luck of the dice, you can have two units with tougness 5 elves!

I hope I might have enlightened you, and that all of you didn't know this trick already,

Regards,

5000p. High Elves
    1000p. Eldar

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i know.
    i just played a 10.000 point game with my hole friend group (we were 5 persons i think) i stand for magic and we got 1 unit of saurus warriors (lizardmen) with t 6 1 unit elves with t 7 and 1 unit empire state troops with t 5 and it was awesome.
    an army that seeks to fight without the protection of the eagle claws is clearly courageous or inept. either way, í wish no part in it - Eolaran Greyhawk, Seamaster.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think you can do this...

While your trickery sounds great, and I'd like to use it I believe the rules clearly state you can't have the same spell twice in one army. In the Lores of Magic section in the fifth paragraph it says ordinarily a spell can only be known once in the same army. There are a few exceptions, but none for this situation.

Reading further the book states if you roll the same spell twice you may then "choose" another spell from the same lore. If you are unable to do so (because all the spells are taken by that or another wizard) then the spell slot is lost.

Can anyone confirm this, being a high elf myself I would love to double up on this nice spell, but again I don't think it is legal.

Tir

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

Considering there are 7 spells in each of the main lores, you'd need 2 L4s or an L4/L3 w/ silver wand to get duplicates.

And imo you're much better off taking a second lore (such as the Lore of Shadows for Enfeebling Foe) to go with the main one.
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I see what your saying, but again you CAN'T have duplicates except for the signature spell, as stated by the rule book.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Per the rulebook, a spell can only be known by multiple wizards if it bypasses rolling for spell selection, or is a signature spell.
    The seerstaff bypasses rolling for selection so it is possible for more than one mage to know the the same spell.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    125 (x4)

Take a look at the page before all the spell lores, left side, just before the bullet points. Then, look at the "Army Selection" part of the BRB, under how and when to generate spells.

To me, clear as the day, you MAY HAVE duplicate spells if you have the Seer Staff. I used this last night with great success against Dark Elves, BTW.

Regards,
    5000p. High Elves
    1000p. Eldar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Drachenprinzen View Post
    Per the rulebook, a spell can only be known by multiple wizards if it bypasses rolling for spell selection, or is a signature spell.
    The seerstaff bypasses rolling for selection so it is possible for more than one mage to know the the same spell.
    So where does it say this in the rulebook? I'm looking at the lores of magic page (162 ) and there are two exception listed in bulleted format. One exemption being the signiture spell. The other being if a model can't choose his spells either due to the models rules or if the mage has "bought" a specific spell as part of an army selection.

The staff allows you "to choose" you spells which doesn't fall into either of the two excemptions listed in the rulebook.
    Last edited by Tirshek; March 15th, 2011 at 06:09. Reason: updated correct page number

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh ok, I think I see it now, so since the spells aren't being generated randomly you can have multiples.

Simple as that?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

By "rolling" I meant to convey that it was "randomly generated"
    Also, technically by using points on the seerstaff, you purchase or "buy" your spells.

It is in fact possible to have one spell up to four times.
    1. Teclis (Loremaster knows all spells in a Lore)
    2. Archmage/Mage with seerstaff
    3. Bound Magic Item (Fury of Khaine or Vaul's Unmaking, etc.)
    4. Mage rolling for spells randomly

12. LikeTerondrius liked this post.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast