Thoughts on Spearmen unit size and number of ranks? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thoughts on Spearmen unit size and number of ranks?

Sorry if this thread has already been done. What is the best size for spearmen? I currently run 2 units in thirty strong blocks. Also what is the best number for ranks? 5 * 6 or 6 * 5? Also do you run Lothern sea guards the same way? Any comments are very welcome.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    80 (x2)

I'm doing the same. 2 units of 30. I've been doing 5 wide 6 deep, though I might switch it up to 6x5.
    Nights Justice Space Marines
    Eldar Eth Kariel Craftworld
    Spear of Kurnous - High Elf Expeditionary Army

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah I think a narrow frontage may be better, that way you limit attacks back but twenty can still attack if we get charged. do you think hordes work with HE spears or Seaguard?

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    286 (x5)

Hordes are awesome, 50 madels will be needed though! i run my seaguard 4*5 and my Spears 8*4

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

I've run a 10x5 unit of LSG before - sadly everything died before I could hit them with it. A 50 model horde is only really useful if you expect to go up against a wide unit, or REALLY need that extra rank of spears. That being said when it does pay off you can kill most of an enemy horde in one go
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x2)

Hey,

I my 2000pt lists I'm currently running a 32-strong unit as 8x4 (Mini-horde). It's done not too badly in recent games. Been putting a BSB with the Standard of Balance in with them (been fighting Dark Elves). Got charged by a unit of 20 Corsairs with "nearly-unkillable" Dreadlord and Sea Serpent Standard and the DE bounced spectacularly (almost as good as the time my Lokhir and 10 Corsairs killed a charging unit of 20 Corsairs in one go). I run my DE Spearmen in 5x7 for anvils so I might give that a go with the High Elf block. My Seaguard number 19 at this point in time. Probably keep them as that as I use them for extra archery/warmachine/flank guarding just now, and they're too expensive to really use in a Horde (even 7pt DEs aren't worth it).
    Fantasy - Dark Elves, Warriors of Chaos \/ 40K - Word BearersChaos Space Marines

Vargarna i Vinterkylan
    Chaos Warriors Army Project

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

High Elves are WAY too expensive to run as Hordes- you're just opening yourself up to more pain from cheap enemy hordes like Gobbos and TK Skellies, who have no problem getting a 1:1 kill ratio on a T3, Sv5 block. Elves are outnumbered- you need to be able to kill off multiple hordes of enemies, and tying all of your Elves up into one huge pile is a bad way of doing it. It also makes an excellent target for huge debuffs or worse- Dwellers (bye-bye 25 elves).

I tend to run my Spear blocks at about 25 strong, and go 5x5. For my LSG, I go with 6x4. I'd like to say that I bump them up to 7x4, but they're just too pricey. At times I run 7x3, deployed in 3 ranks to fire a total of 18 shots, and then a quick reform before combat to bring them into 5x4.

As for the 6x5 or 5x6 argument: it depends on what you're fighting. If you think "I can't kill all of those!" (Chaos Warriors, Black Orcs, etc) then you want a narrower front. If you think you can kill your weight (unhorded gobbos, human infantry) then go a little wider and maximize your attacks.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

+ Reply to Thread