Culling the Herd! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Culling the Herd!

Hey fellow LO-Members!

So I'm going up against my friends Beastmen tomorrow(at 4000 points) and I'm wondering what the Asur have up there sleeve to stop the mangy beasts!

His list is
    horde of bestigors
    horde of gors
    4 or 5 chaff raider units
    6 minos with gorebull
    a doombull
    beastlord and beast banner bsb in gor
    level 4 of death or beasts in bestigor
    2 razorgors
    5 centigors
    25 ambushing gors
    2 tuskgor chariots
    herd stone with 3 lvl 1s around it, 2 shadow 1 beasts
    and finally a large unit of ungor with shields

Im just wondering what we have out there, Im considering a horde of white lions and the standard of balance to stop the hatred possible frenzy on the bestigor and a level 4 with life and BoH but I dont know where to go from there. So the aid of seasoned elf players would be great.

As to what I have I on most of the range, so just throw out ideas.

Thanks in Advance!
    -CoU

Last edited by CultofUlric; December 1st, 2011 at 02:16. Reason: missed some units

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

I have very little experience with beastmen. I will give you my opinion though,

Horde of WL sounds good, obviously an AM with life I guess, I would be tempted by a Prince with Radiant Gem of Hoeth. I don't know if I am right or not but it seems like Leadership should be slightly lower than 10 for his characters and your prince can be a death magic assassin.

Not really sure but a horde of SM would probably do better than WL, beastmen don't really shoot and the extra attacks is better than the extra strength as long as you are winning combats and dont have to take leadership checks.

I don't know what sort of thing you have for core but I would probably go with a horde of Seagaurd and a horde of spears and a unit of archers, but I couldnt actually field that so it would be 50 Seagaurd, 30Spears, 2 or 3 units of archers.

Good luck let us know what you use and how it goes.
    Cheers Allonairre

WIP Thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey thanks for the reply!

I showed up thinking I was going to be facing off against beastmen but he decided to play his daemons last minute but still the High Elves of noble Ulthuan kicked the filth of chaos back from whence they came.

I ended up fielding a Star Dragon with incredible results. He gets such a bad rep online which I don't understand.

Anyway VICTORY TO THE HIGH ELVES!

-CoU

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

Congrats, glad it worked out.

I don't think its the dragons themselves that get the bad rap I think its the Prince that rides them. Given that most people play smaller games which forces a moon dragon and no AM its little surprise. When you talk to most HE players they are very magic oriented, I know I am. In my head I have shifted this because I don't think our maguc is that dominant at all, its expensive and without Teclis no better than any other races and worse than many.

The army has such glaring weaknesses and magic offers a way to plug those gaps, as such moat peoples first choice is and probably always will be an AM picking Dragons and combat nobles a distant second and third.

If you could take a Star Dragon, or any Dragon as a rare choice I think it would be a far more popular option, even if it was still a mount for a prince but the points came from rare not lord allowance.

Would love to see a battle report or a list to see what you backed your dragon up with.
    Cheers Allonairre

WIP Thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah I can see that side of the story I suppose. Oh well I like playing larger games and so does my gaming group so I luck out, on top of that the LGS I play at usually does tournaments at a minimum of 3-3.5k so 4k isn't that far off.

As for the battle report I'll post the link to youtube when my opponent throws his up (he does one for every game)
    I'm hoping to start my own series but am no good with a camera or uploading pictures but thats a different matter entirely.

-CoU

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Allonairre,

Here is the battle report uploaded to youtube.

#13 Daemons of Chaos vs High Elves - YouTubets told from my opponent's perspective so you'll have to excuse my lack of personal strategy.

-CoU

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

399 (x8)

Thanks for that, Its interesting to see how people approach High Elves.

I could see most of your strategies it was fairly straight forward (and therefore a good plan) with some eagles used to interfere with charge lanes. I was surprised by the horde of Archers, they seem like an odd addition and that he didn't pop your eagles with his Flamers much earlier. Your Spear hordes looked a little slim, were they only 40 models?

I think that the Great Unclean One is actually out of the combat once he has beaten the only thing he is fighting so doesn't get bogged down with the PG, still an impressive Grind from the PG overall, loving the challenge resurect the champion, challenge on the GUO would be frustrating as hell only netting +6 CR from the GUO and making no progress through the unit at all.

Well played overall, although your opponent knew the result of some of the combats and went in because it wasn't competitive, they were not combats he really could have avoided. and in a lot of ways he was better to be the instigator.
    Cheers Allonairre

WIP Thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the feedback!

As to the archer horde, I thought the preformed well enough and on top of that thats all of the core I have and it was enough to take me over the limit by about 100, I could have run them in smaller units but I knew against daemons they wouldnt last long so they were there as a firing bunker sort of, though in hind sight I should have put my shadow mage in there. And yes those spear elves were two units of 40 as I dont have enough to run 50 but I should be getting some more soon from a trade so I'll be able to bump them up.

As to the GUO and the combat, my reasoning (which my opponent failed to mention) was that when my dragon charged in (before GUO joined) he and the PG killed all the models in base to base with him, leaving him in contact with no unit but he was still part of the combat so I slid him over and was in contact again. So When the GUO broke my Dragon would he still not be considered part of the combat because the PG held and he was in a combat with the PG. Resulting in his moving into contact with the PG? If this is wrong then I've learned something new, but I saw it as if I had to why should the GUO didn't, even though the situations were slightly different.

And yeah not many of the combats involving the white lions were favorable to him so competitive or not he couldn't ignore them.

Anyway thanks again for the feedback, glad you enjoyed the report.

-CoU

+ Reply to Thread