Prince on dragon help - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Prince on dragon help

Hi all this is probley a stupid question but here it goes.
    In 8th edition is there anyway of putting a prince on dragon into a 2000 point army list

Thank you for your time and I look forward to your comments.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

I cant remember exact point costs for dragons but you can definitely afford a moon or sun dragon.

If it were me I would go with
    Prince
    Vambraces if Defence
    Dragon Armour
    Enchanted Shield
    Magic weapon for extra strength (I don't remember how much the Ogre Blade is) or Lance
    Sun Dragon

I wouldn't expect it to be amazing though, its going to draw a tonne of fire so you need to be a bit cautious with it but as it is so much of your army not too cautious or you are only playing with 3/4 of your army. I might actually drop the Enchanted shield, Dragon armour and Lance for Armour of Caledor (or Silvered steel) and a Great weapon. I think a huge amount of making the dragon work is what you put around it and how you play the game yourself.

I said a whole lot of nothing there, hope it helps
    Cheers Allonairre

WIP Thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    63 (x1)

Have to agree that it's do-able but not recommended if you're facing any army with cannons or poisoned shooting
    Follow me on Twitter: @sorberec. My painting blog here.
    Want to find a tournament? Check out the Wargame Tournaments website or follow updates on Twitter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks guys you have both been quite helpful the list I am thinking of putting it in is for thrown of skulls in Nottingham so there is no telling what I will come up against so do you think it is worth the risk and if not what do you recommend to rake out the big monsters and
    The war machines?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    63 (x1)

Well listening to the episode of Heelanhammer where Bryan Carmichael talked about his list that won the last Throne of Skulls, what you can expect unless you run into someone who's a regular on the tournament scene (as opposed to just playing in Throne of Skulls or at their local GW) is people taking just a couple of big horde units and a teemsy bit of extra to make up points.

On general principles I'd suggest maxing out on Eagles as diverters/war machine hunters, taking one mage with lore of Shadow (Mind Razor & Pit of Shades for dealing with monsters & war machines respectively, plus Miasma & Withering are always useful, so you may need to put the seerstaff on this mage) and another with access to spells that can cause mass damage to units (Life for Dwellers Below, Metal for Final Transmutation, High for Flames of the Phoenix (especially nasty if you can combo it with Withering from Lore of Shadow).

As they use the rulebook scenarios make sure you have plenty of banners for Blood and Glory.

Unless going purely for fun and not caring about my results I certainly wouldn't take a Dragon to the event as it's just too much of a liabilty.
    Follow me on Twitter: @sorberec. My painting blog here.
    Want to find a tournament? Check out the Wargame Tournaments website or follow updates on Twitter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks you have all given me a lot to think about

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    88 (x2)

To answer your earlier concern about what to kill big monsters with (hydras, hellpit aboms etc.) I'd go with swordsmasters. Going first and likely rerolling misses with S5 and 2 attacks is brilliant against monsters as you can usually kill things in 2 turns. Dragon Princes are also pretty good against the Hydra as they get a 2+ward vs its breath weapon.

Make sure to take the banner of eternal flame on a unit like swordsmasters or dragon princes though, the flaming attacks stop the regeneration of big nasties (and will bring the pain to undead and wood elf stuff if it shows up) and for 10 points you can't really go wrong.
    'War does not determine who is right, only who is left'
    I am President of the Brunel University wargames society - PM me if interested.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks that is really helpful

+ Reply to Thread