Colour Scheme Dilemma: Please Help! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Which colour scheme is best?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Blue and Orange

6 46.15%
  • Green w/ Red Trim

5 38.46%
  • Green/ Red 2

2 15.38%
  • Green/ Red 3

0 0%
  • Other (post below)

1 7.69%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
    has a ca-fading facade Jackmoddle's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    223 (x4)

Colour Scheme Dilemma: Please Help!

I'm starting out with High Elves and I need help deciding on a colour scheme. I started this army to have a new chance to make a best painted contender for tourneys, so I want to get it right. I already know that I will be building an army around fiery dragons and dragon princes, along with a phoenix guard block. So, I am quite sure red and/or orange will factor into the scheme. I know that the bases will be snow- themed, which might affect which colours will contrast best. I also know that I do not want a plain blue and white high elf scheme (although I realise that including blue will make it easier to resell in the long run). Finally, I don't want to do a plain red theme as it will be the same as another at my club.

I painted up a few examples to pick from, but I'm willing to take new suggestions too. Options are, from left to right:

1)Light blue with orange trim: most re-sellable and safe
    2)Mostly green with red trim: pretty safe, but here I'm not sure how a whole army of green High Elves would look...plus, they are in snow, does that seem like really bad camouflage?
    3)Half red and half green, red armour: one of the most vibrant, maybe a little flashy/ silly?
    4)Kind of similar to 2 and 3, just another combination

Which do you like best? Or do you like none? Of course they would all be painted more to the standard of 2), and they would all have the hot ashes and flames (phoenix-style) on the shield.

I rather like the green and red/orange, but I just want to get some support or criticism to go off. I know it's my army and any scheme I use will probably work nicely, but I want something really striking. For the record, I got my inspiration from here:
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...es/GROEN06.jpg

Honey badger don't care.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have voted for (1) but I do reckon you could pull off (2) if you added a bit more extreme highlighting. I assume you know what that is as your models are very nice
    Also the inspirational elves have a light green and a dark green unlike yours where they are just dark green with orange bits sticking out, and your orange seems to be more full-on. I'm not sure if that's just the photo or if you have just done it differently on purpose or some other reason so I can't really say.

Hope I helped
    - Example
    Last edited by Example; March 7th, 2012 at 09:08.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

223 (x4)

Good call. I think you're right, it should be more like the Dark angels scheme. The camera flash might have a bit to do with it too.
    Honey badger don't care.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x2)

I'd go with the blue and orange, it looks the best out of the lot. My own army is silver armour, green robes (grey on mages, archers and cloaks) with the elite units having red armour. Also the Seaguard have turquoise shields with the dragon motif on it.
    Fantasy - Dark Elves, Warriors of Chaos \/ 40K - Word BearersChaos Space Marines

Vargarna i Vinterkylan
    Chaos Warriors Army Project

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally, I think the blue and orange you chose for the first model contrast too harshly. Looking at the model for more than a few seconds makes my eyes naturally want to wander - right to the model next to it. I personally prefer to have value-based contrast (green is darker than white/silver) instead of hue-based contrast (blue vs orange). I think it helps pop the green out and, in the case of the more complex models, should keep a nice constant throughout your entire army. So I voted for the second model.

Now, if you were to use different shades of blue and orange, and chose to keep your orange for trim work, you could probably make the first model work even army-wide. Maybe a slightly darker blue with a slighter brighter orange would be good. Perhaps you could experiment with a metallic blue for your armor? The metallic effect should help keep the eye from being overwhelmed by the harsh hue-based contrast between your blue and orange. I know I'm going to experiment with a metallic red for my Dragon Princes.

If you still have some spare spearmen left to experiment with, I would try that out!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

223 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenblade View Post
    I'd go with the blue and orange, it looks the best out of the lot. My own army is silver armour, green robes (grey on mages, archers and cloaks) with the elite units having red armour. Also the Seaguard have turquoise shields with the dragon motif on it.
    Do you happen to have any pics of how the army looks? Doesn't matter quality, I am intrigued to see how the whole army looks together.
    Honey badger don't care.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

53 (x2)

My army is currently at home (I live in Uni accom), so I wouldn't be able to get any pics up until the end of the month. If you want I could send a couple pics via PM then.
    Fantasy - Dark Elves, Warriors of Chaos \/ 40K - Word BearersChaos Space Marines

Vargarna i Vinterkylan
    Chaos Warriors Army Project

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

61 (x1)

I think that the red/orange (3) armor stands out the most and looks the best.
    If the green was possibly a lighter olive/gold variant I feel it would look even better.
    More like this: High Elven War Helm Limited Edition

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

223 (x4)

Thanks all for the help. I think I have finally figured out which direction to go, which is nice because now I can actually make some progress. If I get a chance I'll post up my final decision.
    Honey badger don't care.

+ Reply to Thread