These High Elves Got Balls (my army list) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

These High Elves Got Balls (my army list)

Army-Wide Special Rules
    Speed of Asuryan: Remains unchanged from current book... ASF at all times, even with GW.
    Martial Prowess: When equipped with Spears or Halberds, High Elves get an extra rank of attacks (3 on charge, 4 in horde). Remember, only Spears inherently have the Fight in Extra Rank special rule.
    Valor of Ages: Remains unchanged from current book.

Lords
    Prince – stats as book – 120 points
    Mounts (one choice):
    Elven Steed – 16
    Ithilmar barding - +8
    Great Eagle – 50
    Griffin – 150
    Sun Dragon – 230
    Star Dragon – 370
    Tiranoc Chariot – 75

Weapons (one choice):
    Lance (4), Spear (2), GW (8), Halberd (4), XHW (4)
    Armor (one choice):
    Light (4), Heavy (6), Dragon (8)
    Shield – 3
    Longbow – 6

Magic items up to 100 pt
    Any one honor, no point limit.

Archmage – stats as book – 200
    Level 4 – 35

Mounts
    Elven Steed – 16
    Ithilmar barding - +6
    Great Eagle – 50
    Griffin – 150
    Sun Dragon – 230
    Tiranoc Chariot – 75

Magic items up to 100 pt
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Heroes
    Noble – stats as book – 75
    Mounts (one choice):
    Elven Steed – 12
    Ithilmar barding - +8
    Great Eagle – 50
    Griffin – 150

Weapons (one choice):
    Lance (3), Spear (2), GW (6), Hal (3), XHW (3)
    Armor (one choice):
    Light (2), Heavy (4), Dragon (6)
    Shield – 2
    Longbow – 6

Magic items up to 50 pt

Mage – stats as book – 100
    Lvl 2 – 35

Mounts (one choice):
    Elven steed – 12
    Ithilmar barding - +6
    Great Eagle – 50

Magic items up to 50 pt
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Core
    Archers – stats as book – 8 pt
    HW, Longbow
    Unit size – 10+

Command – 5 pts/ea
    Upgrade options:
    - Light Armor: 1 pt/ea

Militia – stats as book – 7pt
    HW, Light armor, Spears
    Unit size – 10+

Command – 10 pt/ea
    Upgrade options:
    - Shield: 1 pt/ea
    - Swap spears for halberds: 2 pt/ea <-- the halberds gives some flexbility, providing a little extra punch in exchange for fewer attacks.

Lothern Sea Guard – stats as book – 9pt
    HW, Light armor, Shield, Bow
    Unit size – 10+

Command – 10 pt/ea
    Upgrade options:
    - Spears: 1 pt/ea
    - Longbow: 1pt/ea
    - Heavy armor: 2 pt/ea <-- as the High Elves' only full-time, standing army corps, I think it makes sense for them to be able to have heavy armor. The 4+ makes them actually worth the 11 or so points.

Silver Helms – stats as book – 20pt <-- lowered the cost, giving you solid, fairly cheap heavy cav.
    HW, Heavy armor, Lance, Shield
    Mount: Barded Elven Steed
    Unit size – 5+

Command – 15 pt/ea
    Upgrade options:
    - Ithilmar Barding: +2 pt/ea

Special
    Sword Masters of Hoeth – stats as book – 15 pt
    HW, Heavy armor, GW
    Unit size – 10+

Command – 10 pt/ea
    Champion may carry 25 pt of magic items

White Lions of Chrace – stats as book – 13 pt
    Special rules: Stubborn, Foreststrider
    HW, Heavy armor, GW, Lion cloak
    Unit size – 10+

Command – 10 pt/ea
    Upgrade options:
    - Throwing Axes: +2 pt/ea
    - Korhil as champion: 170 pt

Lion Cloaks – gives +1 AS in CC, +2 AS in shooting phase.

Phoenix Guard – stats as book – 14 pt
    Special rules: Immune to Psychology, Flaming Attacks, 4+ Ward Save <-- ItP fits the lore better, Flaming Attacks grant them Fear against several foes.
    HW, Heavy armor, Halberd
    Unit size – 10+

Command – 10 pt/ea

Upgrade Options:
    - Caradryan for champion: 170 pt

Shadow Warriors – 12 pt
    M5 WS5 BS5 S3 T3 W1 I5 A1 Ld8 <-- these guys needed the extra BS point. 4 ppm for +1BS and Skirmish/Scout? I think that's fair.
    Special rules: Nagarythe Hatred, Skirmish, Scout
    HW, Longbow, LA

Command – Champion (10 pt)

Ellyrian Reavers – stats as book – 16 pt
    Special rules: Fast cavalry
    HW, LA, Bow
    Mount: Ithilmar Barded Elven Steed <-- IoB models have barding. 'Nuff said. Maybe a 4+ AS will make them worth something.
    Unit size – 5+

Command – 10 pt/ea
    Upgrade options:
    - Add spear: 2 pt/ea <-- giving them bows as default makes more sense, and keeps the upgrade options more streamlined.

Tiranoc Chariot – stats as book – 60 pt
    Special rules: Chariot
    HW, Bow, Spear

Upgrade options:
    - Up to two additional Elven Steeds to pull the chariot... 7 pts/ea <-- bringing this back from 6th Edition... because why not?

Lion Chariot – stats as book – 100 pt
    Special rules: Chariot, Cause Fear
    HW, GW

Rare
    Dragon Princes of Caledor – 30 pt
    M-5, W-S6, BS-4, S-4, T-3, W-1, I-6, A-2, Ld-9
    Special rules: Cause Fear, Dragon Barding
    HW, Dragon armor, Lance, Shield
    Mount: Elven Steed

Command – 15 pt/ea
    Champion may carry 25 pt of magic items, Standard Bearer may carry a Magic Standard up to 50 pt.

Dragon Barding: The dragon-stylized plate these steeds bear follow the same rules as Ithilmar Barding, with the exception that the rider counts his armor save as being one higher than with regular barding. This results in the Dragon Princes having a 1+ armor save. <-- Because of the significant difference in barding between the mounted Lord/Noble and Dragon Princes vs Silver Helms and Ellyrian Reavers, I opted to go with an improved Ithilmar Barding. This also prevents from having to improve Armor of Caledor to a 1+ save, which I didn't want to do.

Great Eagle – stats as book – 50 pt
    Special rules: Fly
    HW

May take two as a single unit choice.

Repeater Bolt Thrower – stats as book – 60 pt
    Special rules: Volley
    HW, LA

Upgrade options:
    - One extra crew member: 15 pt

May take two as a single unit choice.

Honors
    Loremaster (40 pt): The character is a level 1 Wizard who may choose any of the 8 Basic Lores.

Seer (30 pt): Wizard only. The character may choose his spells instead of rolling for them. These spells must be chosen at the time the army list is written.

Swordmasters (40 pt): Character on foot only. The character is equipped with a Great Weapon, may not take a Magic Weapon, and gains the Magical Attacks and Killing Blow special rules. In addition, one unit of Sword Masters may take a Magic Banner worth up to 50 points.

Lion Guard (40 pt): The character is equipped with a Lion Cloak and any unit he leads is Stubborn. In addition, one unit of White Lions may take a Magic Banner worth up to 50 points.

Oath to Asuryan (40 pt): May not be taken by a wizard. The character gains a 4+ Ward Save and the Cause Fear special rule. In addition, one unit of Phoenix Guard may take a Magic Banner worth up to 50 points. <-- I honestly was very close to not including this. To prevent wizards from getting undue protection (and because the Oath prevents the character from speaking!), I made it unavailable to wizards.

Son of Caledor (50 pt):
    The character must be mounted on an Elven Steed, Sun Dragon, or Star Dragon. If he is mounted on an Elven Steed, he gains the Dragon Barding special rule. The character comes equipped with the Star Lance, granting +3 Strength on the charge with no armor saves allowed. He may not take a Magic Weapon. In addition, one unit of Dragon Princes may be fielded as a Special choice. <-- The Star Lance had to remain, but I didn't feel right leaving it as a Magic Item either. So this is the compromise I reached.

Shadow Warrior (20 pt): Model on foot only. The character is equipped with a longbow and gains the Scout special rule. A character with this honor may take a Magic Longbow. He may deploy as a Scout (including with a unit of Shadow Warriors). <-- Finally! A use for our magic longbows!!

Dragon Mage (30 pt) Wizard only. The character must choose his spells from the Lore of Fire. He gains the Reckless special rule; whenever he casts a spell, he gets a 'free' Power Die added to the casting attempt. This die can cause Irresistible Force/Miscast as usual. The character may not be mounted on a Great Eagle or Griffin. <-- See my explanations in the Notes.

Magic Items
    Magic Weapons
    Sword of Hoeth – 60 pt
    Bow of the Seafarer – 50 pt
    Reaver Bow – 40 pt
    Foe Bane – 25 pt

Magic Armor
    Golden Shield – 35 pt
    Armor of Heroes – 30 pt
    Helm of Fortune – 25 pt
    Armor of Caledor – 25 pt

Talismans
    Vambraces of Defense – 55 pt
    Loremaster's Cloak – 40 pt
    Talisman of Saphery – 35 pt
    Sacred Incense – 30 pt

Arcane Items
    Book of Hoeth – 100 pt
    Annulian Crystal – 40 pt
    Sigil of Asuryan – 40 pt
    Jewel of the Dusk – 15 pt
    Silver Wand – 10 pt

Enchanted Items
    Null Stone – 80 pt
    Folariath's Robe – 45 pt
    Ring of Fury – 40 pt
    Cloak of Beards – 35 pt
    Ring of Corin – 30 pt
    Amulet of Light – 15 pt

Magic Standards
    Banner of the World Dragon – 60 pt
    Banner of Sorcery – 50 pt
    Banner of Arcane Protection – 25 pt
    Lion Standard – 25 pt
    War Banner - 20 pt
    Banner of Ellyrian – 15 pt

NOTES:
    - I brought back some relics from the 6th Edition army book, including Ithilmar Barding and even the option for Tirannoc Chariots to have more than 2 horses.
    - I went with more magic items than most of the new books due to the lore stating that the High Elves have always been incredibly magic-heavy. *And they certainly have Vaul's Anvil, which was stated to have produced an innumerable amount of magic items for the Chaos Wars back in Aenarion's day.
    - I believe the High Elf book, in general, is horribly overpriced, so I've either reduced many unit's costs or increased their efficiency somehow. *This would, of course, require significant play-testing to determine how appropriate each new cost is, but I made an educated guess on each one, and I'll stick by them.
    - I wasn't really sure if I wanted to make a Phoenix Guard honor, but I felt it seemed awkward that of the Big 3, only the Phoenix Guard could take a magic standard without an honor, so I went ahead and made it.

And yes, while I know further discussion is probably moot, it makes me feel better to get my complete version out on paper. For ease of reading, I made it pretty similar to both Captain's and Rothgar's list, formatting-wise.

EDIT: I tweaked some things that I missed, and made the format easier to read. In addition, I added the Dragon Mage of Caledor honor. Not only will GW not remove the Dragon Mage unless/until they change the Dragon Lord model, but a Dragon Mage is fantastic, provided he doesn't have to be mounted on a dragon. So I put the Honor to reflect the option to have one.

EDIT 2: I decided I really didn't like the Dragon Princes having Flaming Attacks. Instead, I decided to make a note of the Dragon Princes / mounted lord's plate barding versus the regular barding Silver Helms and Ellyrian Reavers have. So I swapped Flaming Attacks out for a 1+ total armor save. I also changed the Son of Caledor honor to match. The wording is a little confusing, but I hope you catch my drift.

Last edited by BallsOfSteel; March 22nd, 2012 at 07:14.

+ Reply to Thread