Dealing with Vamps - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    80 (x2)

Dealing with Vamps

So I played a game last night, I didn't get bounced hard, but I hardly had the optimal list to deal with them. What has peoples experiences been with them so far.

I've found that with Undead, our greatest strength in close combat is severely limited. From my experience, we win by smashing the opponent in that first round, and breaking them. But you can't do that with undead. You win, a few more bodies crumble, and then your just locked in. Then the next phase he just ends up restoring a good grip of those you killed.

The opponent I played last night had 5 casters, and with all 5 having that initial spell, I usually ran out of dispel dice long before he finished casting the restore dead spells. So if they take big blocks of cheap tarpits, then a few big things like mortis engines, or terror gheists, what do we do?

The only sure bet I can think of is Teclis with Lore of Light, so he can just decimate those bigger things early on, but I don't like metagaming like that.

Nights Justice Space Marines
    Eldar Eth Kariel Craftworld
    Spear of Kurnous - High Elf Expeditionary Army

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x2)

Some good options are assassination characters to smash his, like nobles w/ gw to kill the wizards, and taking lore of life to try and beat them at their own game. Its a tough fight, since elves are super vulnerable to attrition armies, but life makes them durrable enough to take some hits.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

Could try a low level mage with Annulian Crystal and High magic. He can attempt Drain Magic to help minimise your opponents casting or at least force them to use two dice He is also then an option for dispelling allowing you to match dice for dice more effectively. I think that at least one casting of raise dead will get through unfortunately. Most people have a L4 and a L2 on here often anyway and Drain Magic and 5+ ward are not awful spells as is, so losing the seerstaff isn't too big of a deal.

Assassin characters could work but are so expensive for us I have never really found them too effective, they die and you have hopefully killed 1 of 5 Necromancers which isn't great. Eagles are better but don't have enough attacks to make certain of doing 2 wounds.

I don't know what the answer is in combat, the stupid spectral riders want me to say keep a unit of 5 or 7 SM with Magical attacks behind your lines. Should be enough to make them cautious. Then I want to do as much damage to the stuff that is difficult to raise as I can. Writing this it almost seems RBT might have a place for that, 2 or 3 of them to target any elite units and keep them as ineffective as possible as I think Core vs Core we should win, even unit vs unit we should win most of the time its just making sure that the nasty elite stuff stays off our line particularly our flanks and doesn't get a chance to tip the balance. Maybe Eagles to redirect, buy a round or 2 might be enough if we are lucky. Just plain good luck with Dwellers and magical dice is so often what it actually comes down too though unfortunately.

As to how to manage them really well with an allcomers list I really don't know. Then it really is magic and hoping that you get the spells you need and can force combats with the elites while slowing up the tarpits with eagles or whatever you have got.
    Cheers Allonairre

WIP Thread

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x2)

The spectral stuff hates the the thing that give magical attacks. What you can do is give it to a shadow wizard who can cast any spell at all and teleport into the unit dealing with the ghosts.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

Thats a good idea, just need to check the rules that you can teleport into combat as well as out of it. I have a feeling that you cant join a unitin combat.
    Cheers Allonairre

WIP Thread

+ Reply to Thread