What Should I Get Next? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello, my fellow Asurs.

Since I have the basic things (16 Spearmen, 16 Archers, 8 Silver Helms), I wonder what I should get next. I could buy one or two new boxes of whatever's in them, but what should I get?

Well, the things I want/could think of buying are Swordmasters (S5), Dragon Princes (WS5), Ellyrian Reavers (Fast with Bows), and more Silver Helms (16&#33.

Now, any suggestions? If it helps, I usually play agaist Skaven, Chaos and Dwarfs.

I have come to realize that every time I play, I always lose the CC, and the archers don't do anything special. The only things that really matter are my mages, which usually do alot, but then again not as much as I would have wanted them to.

I'd like this to change... Which is why I need more stuff. Also, getting above 2000 and be able to use my Tyrion wouldn't hurt.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, that depends on if you want to go infantry, cavalry or a merry mix in a defensive force, i.e. with the infantry holding their ground and cavalry counter-charging.

Whatever you choose, some RBT's can't hurt, and neither can two eagles. Chariots might also be a good buy, as they have a variety of uses.

Swordsmasters are also probably the HE's best infantry, as long as they get to charge. After the initial round of combat they'll strike first (usually, due to high initiative) with S5, which can really help in CC. Especially against dwarves, since if you don't kill enough front rank models they will probably reduce your proud elves to a slimy paste. If you want to make your spearmen more effective you should get more of them... They're pretty good against Skaven, but I don't like using them against dwarves... T4 and a ...decent... armour save, good luck at ever wounding anything. And then you've got to face those scary Great Weapons. I'm not very familiar with chaos, so I don't know how they do against them.

Can never hurt to have more Silver Helms, they're great!!! However, if you choose infantry/defensive you probably don't need that many, as they tend to be useful in small flanking units of 5.

As a last note, I'd advice against using Tyrion in games smaller than 3000, but that's just the way I would play... Use him as a prince instead! (you can do that, right?)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x4)

I'd get 2 RBT's rather than any other units, they're so good and versatile. Failing that, great eagles are fantastic at taking out enemy units behin the lines (war machines, lone characters, etc).
    The iron crowned is getting closer,
    Swings his hammer down on him,
    Like a thunderstorm he's crushing,
    Down the Noldor's proudest king.

Under my foot, so hopeless it seems.
    You've troubled my day, now feel the pain.
    - Blind Guardian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like to use shadow warriors. They're brilliant. I take 5-10. Also, enhance your front line with dragon princes and use reavers to flank slower opponents.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I'll go for some more Silver Helms and some Swordmasters. I need more Flanking units, and my regular Spearmen are too weak in CC...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x4)

From the units you've outlined in your original post, I'd go (in order of preference):

1) Dragon Princes
    2) Swordmasters
    3) Silver Helms
    4) Ellyrian Reavers

:closedeyes:

- Blind Guardian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

May I ask why?

And are Silver Helms actually good if you only have one unit of them? I'm beginning to doubt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x5)

SH are very versatile. You can allways use them.

Tai'shar
    Lance Leader of the LO Codex: Wasters design team

Forged in fire, bonded in ice
    Son of Fenris, Son of Russ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x4)

Dragon Princes are so much better than Silver Helms, here's why:

-Have 18" charge range, not 16".
    -Better WS, I and Ld.
    -Can equip with a magical banner worth up to 50 pts (Imagine adding a BSB with the Baanner of battle with this unit and having the War Banner as well... 1d6+1 to CR every battle... ouch&#33.
    -Can equipped with a magical item up to 25 pts (Blessed book for a further boost to LD&#33
    - Immunity to Fire magic.

They rock!

- Blind Guardian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds like it.

However, I have made up my mind about the Silver Helms. I need more of them; having one unit of a maximum 8 isn't the greatest thing (which I have learnt the hard way)...

I'd like some Dragon Princes. First of all their stats and the ability to get a Magical Banner are great. And the models really look awesome. The Save isn't so bad either.

But on the other hand... Swordmasters. They trule have great S and great WS. The only thing that would keep me from buying them is their Save.

Oh well...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast