Why Not? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why Not?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi guys

I just thougt about; why not take a special character in a 2k game? Like Teclis, Imrik or Tyrion? I know that they cost many many points, buy anyway, don't you think that they could be a great help in these games, sometimes, and kill most of the enemy, and then the rest of your army would wipe out the rest? I know many of you think that they should only be in 3k or higher games. But if you take one of them, your enemy with a 2k army would have biiiig trouble killin' them? I'm not quite a veteran, and maybe I am saying bullsh*t, but I'd like to hear your opinions.

Hope I get some good replys
    Thanks

Lotus

Hope is the first step on the road to dissapointment.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Take Tyrion, for example. He may be extremely powerful, but do you think he could stand up to a full regiment with full ranks and stuff?

Since they cost a lot of points, the rest of your army would probably be overran by the sheer number of opponents.

As for Teclis, he's way too expensive for risking being killed by fast cavalry or something. Not to mention the possibility that he might blow his head off (or something equally dangerous) in a miscast.

And Imrik? Well, he would probably get shot down quite fast by enemy artillery and magic. Using him you'd have max 1 mage in 2K, and that would mean you invested almost half your points in characters.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x3)

Taking characters that cost that much is a double edged sword. Yes they are very hard and unlikely to die in combat, but as has been pointed out a full unit of troops has a combat resolution of around 5 before combat even begins. So your character has to inflict 5 wounds per turn in combat in order to draw. You could charge, kill 3 dudes then break and get run down and there goes your 800 point character Its one of the reasons I have never bought the Witch King in a dark elf army, he is uber hard but at the cost of everything else in the army being understrength.
    Helper monkey, bring me beer and donuts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x4)

If you think about it this way as well, usually for the cost of any of the above characters, you can get 2-3 full strength units which would be able to beat them in combat pretty easily anyway!
    The iron crowned is getting closer,
    Swings his hammer down on him,
    Like a thunderstorm he's crushing,
    Down the Noldor's proudest king.

Under my foot, so hopeless it seems.
    You've troubled my day, now feel the pain.
    - Blind Guardian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tyrion is SO BAD beacase he's on a friggen mosnter. And its not like a Dragon or Griffon that's kinda tough to kill, its a TOUGHNESS 3 HORSE!!!!!

Lets say first turn 2 units of 10 Empire Handgunners shoot at Tyrion, and yes they can pick him out beacuse its a monster. 20 shots, about 7 hits, 4-5 randomize to the horse, 3 wounds, which kills him. Bam, Tyrion's stuck on foot and sucks now.

Imrik sucks, just beacuse you can tool out a Prince more for cheaper, WAY cheaper.

Teclis, as stated above, is a bit to risky. 630 points, just so you can probably dominate the Magic Phase? Not worth it. If you really want to dominate Magic, get an Archmage with the Book of Hoeth, and 2 lvl 2 mages with the Banner of Sorcery.
    -My Warrior Priest will challenge your Chaos Lord
    -OK, my Chaos lord will slaughter you
    -My warrior priest with Van Hortsmen's Speculum will take his 7 Str 8 attacks. You die.
    -......What?
    -Take your model off the table, he's dead

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    139 (x8)

I have used Tyrion in 2000 points and he kicked. He was a big reason for my victory, he killed quite a lot. But, I would never do it again. I was lucky that my opponent didn't use tactics and was having bad luck that day, I got a few easy charges and wiped some units before they got close but Tyrion was a big point sink and it seemed strange to see him with such a small army. He is really powerful and famous yet he joined a small battle with a tiny army? It seems better to see him in larger battles.

So yes, try them in 2k if you like and see how they work. Either it will be extremely powerful and your opponent won't like you, or it will get killed easily and lose you the game.
    The LO ANZAC Clan!

The Pirate's Haven BFG clan! Breathe life into this fantastic GW system.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let´s say my opponet does not have any mages ( lol ) then it would be good to have Teclis, or what? I play against Lizardmen, and Im not sure that my friend is getting some Skinks Priests. Wouldn't he (Teclis) be able to kill very much of the Lizardmen army? And what about Imrik? I thougt he realy kicked some ass, and he would be very hard to kill in a 2k game? Please say if im wrong, I just thougt so :blush: :huh:

Lotus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x5)

I think he will get skink priests. They're cheap.

And some FotP on skink swarms, FoK on kroxis and there won't be much left. :shifty:

Tai'shar
    Lance Leader of the LO Codex: Wasters design team

Forged in fire, bonded in ice
    Son of Fenris, Son of Russ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by Araith@Dec 21 2004, 12:38
    I think he will get skink priests. They're cheap.
    [snapback]282615[/snapback]
    I don't think he will get some. :closedeyes: Hmm. Maybe it's a crapy idea to take special characters in a 2k game, but I thougt it would be nice to hear some of your opinions.

Other opinions to this topic ^_^ ??

Lotus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think its very overpowering to take special characters in 2000pt games, and i wouldnt do it unless they were weaker characters (Tularis of HarGaneth(spelling?) type Leiutenants)... Most opponents will cry Cheese if they face Tyrion, Teclis etc in a 2000pt game, and Id say they have a right too!
    ...And I shall be there, waiting, at the gates of hell, you shall not escape my wrath!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast