Librarium Online Forums banner

Need A Leader

1K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  gingerninja 
#1 ·
Hello again.

Im just about to start a tournament with some friends and was looking for advice on what type of leader to bring. The armies will be around 2000pts and I need a strong leader for my army. Here are the choices I think I've got, as they are not allowed to be mounted.

1. Prince
Armour of the Gods
Swordmaster
Guardian Phoenix

2. Prince
Heavy Armour
Shield
Vambraces of Defence
Ring of Fury
Sword of Might

3. Prince
Armour of the Gods
Vambraces of Defence
Biting Blade

4. Archmage
Book of Hoeth

5. Archmage
Seer
Silver Wand
Ring of Fury
Dispel Scroll

These 5 have the up's and downs, and I was just wondering what everyones opinions where of each.

The armies involved are Dark Elves, Ogre Kingdoms, Orcs and Goblins and a Khornate Chaos army (Possibly Beastmen).

All opinions gratefully recieved

Please use the EDIT function, not start a new post. KU

* * * EDIT * * *

P.S. the rest of the army looks like this.

Heroes

Mage Lv2
Seer
Silver Wand
Talisman of Protection
Barded Steed

Mage Lv2
Seer
Dispel Scroll

Core

16 Spearmen
Full Command

20 Spearmen
Full Command

10 Archers

5 Silver Helms
Fully Equiped
Full Command
Lion Standard

5 Silver Helms
Fully Equiped
Full Command

Rare
14 White Lions
Full Command
Banner of Sorcery
(This is where the charecter will go)

2 Repeater Bolt Throwers.

I may drop one of the mages if I decide to go with the Archmage

Any opinions gratefully recieved

P.P.s.

I have now tested number 3 on the list, and he killed the enemy general without taking a wound, (I was playing Dark Elves). The ability to re-roll a 3+ armour save and then have a 4+ Ward save is very useful, but I wonder how he will do against the other opponents, particularly chaos.

If you think one of the others would do better please let me know

See less See more
#2 ·
Originally posted by gingerninja@Mar 8 2005, 11:55
3. Prince
Armour of the Gods
Vambraces of Defence
Biting Blade
[snapback]346897[/snapback]​
That Prince would be much better off equipped like this...

Elf Prince - 221 pts
Halberd
Armour of the Gods, Vambraces of Defense

or

Elf Prince - 236 pts
Halberd, Longbow
Armour of the Gods, Vambraces of Defense

The Longbow isn't a must-have, but who knows when a BS 6 bowshot kills things...

#3 ·
Thank you for the advice. With the longbow, do you know if he would get just one shot, or 4?

If anyone knows that would be great

#4 ·
Well, what makes you think he gets four shots? and for MY prince, in my upcoming 2,000pt game, I considered the following:

Prince

SwordMaster
Armour Of Protection
LongBow

A 6+ Save, with a 4+ ward save, killing blow, 4 attacks with a strength of 6, which then attack in Initiative order, which, in the case of a prince is very high :p.

Any comments? or ways to improve his standard saving throw?

-Gibb.

#5 ·
Originally posted by Gibb@Mar 12 2005, 22:14
Well, what makes you think he gets four shots? and for MY prince, in my upcoming 2,000pt game, I considered the following:

Prince

SwordMaster
Armour Of Protection
LongBow

A 6+ Save, with a 4+ ward save, killing blow, 4 attacks with a strength of 6, which then attack in Initiative order, which, in the case of a prince is very high :p.

Any comments? or ways to improve his standard saving throw?-

-Gibb.

[snapback]350774[/snapback]​

I did manage to solve this problem, looked up armour of gods and was converted straight away :) I opted for a choosing in a older topic:

SwordMaster
Armour of the Gods
Guardian Phoenix

P.S

Sorry to the mods, I must have clicked on quote rather than edit, my apologies!

#6 ·
Thanks for the advice, but the rules for our tournament are a little odd. Your army will suffer punishments if your leader was to die in any one battle. This led me to pick a leader who is less likely to kick the bucket. Also, thanks to his halberd he still has strength 6 attacks.

#8 ·
My Prince has one less STR but has a better Ward (4+ vs. 5+) and the Vambraces allow him to reroll his 3+ AS. So think again :)

#9 ·
I have to agree with Teron. That charecter has been the one that I have been using in this tournament and he has only taken 1 wound in 3 battles!!

Also, I can't think of too many mortal charecters with toughness above 5, so most of the time you are going to be wounding on a 3+ anyway.

Any more suggestions will be gratefully recieved.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.