Would This Tactic Work? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi there. Basically, I've designed a list to work under very specific tactics. Please evaluate.

2000 Pts - High Elves Army

1 Archmage @ 330 Pts
    Magic Level 4; Lore of High Magic
    Ring of Fury
    Jewel of the Dusk
    Seer
    Pure of Heart

1 Commander @ 165 Pts
    Great Weapon; Dragon Armour
    Helm of Fortune
    Enchanted Shield

1 Great Eagle

10 Archers
    Longbow

10 Archers
    Longbow

10 Archers
    Longbow

6 Silver Helms @ 189 Pts
    Barding; Lance; Heavy Armour; Shield; Standard

1 Captain

6 Silver Helms @ 189 Pts

1 Captain

6 Dragon Princes @ 218 Pts
    Lance; Dragon Armour; Shield; Standard; Ithilmar Barding

1 Drakemaster

9 Swordmasters @ 154 Pts
    Great Weapon; Heavy Armour; Standard

1 Bladelord

1 Repeater Bolt Thrower

1 Repeater Bolt Thrower

1 Repeater Bolt Thrower

1 Repeater Bolt Thrower

Casting Pool: 7

Dispel Pool: 4

Models in Army: 76

Total Army Cost: 2005

Tactics are: Set up archers and bolt throwers in the centre, with high mage. As enemy advance (no choice under such firepower) the mage casts arrow attraction and flames of the phoenix whilst using his ring of fury to cast 'fury of Khaine' upon advancing enemy, creating a firing line that not even knights can penetrate. Meanwhile, the ample cavalry overwhelms the enemy's right flanking force (if present, breaking their right flank. The swordmasters should hold the left flank long enough for my plan to be executed. The commander flies over and destroys war machine crews and lone mages, helped by his re-rollable 2+ save. At this point, the enemy will either have lots of shooty stuff (in which case the cavalry will batter him) or close combat stuff. If the latter, he will inevitably march forward, into the horrendous firing line and be whittled greatly (if not destroyed entirely) as the cavalry smash into his rear or side. Any comments?

Death is my meat, terror my wine.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am far from experienced with High Elves, but that list looks good. I would certainly be intimidated by the sight of it. The only thing I am not sure about is the archmage, 330pts for one model is just to pricey for me, even with a spellcaster. Possibly tool him down a little?
    Legendary Dark Eldar Site

"To play the blues, all you need is barbwire strung to a wooden pulp, an aching heart, and a babe who done left you"

Win/Loss- Who Cares?

"The only thing thats good to lose is your virginity"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by Gibb@Mar 18 2005, 21:30
    I am far from experienced with High Elves, but that list looks good. I would certainly be intimidated by the sight of it. The only thing I am not sure about is the archmage, 330pts for one model is just to pricey for me, even with a spellcaster. Possibly tool him down a little?
    [snapback]355717[/snapback]
    ditto.
    plus your unit of swordmasters looks like a flanking unit. White Lions do the job better.
    replace a unit or two of archers with a skirmisher/scout unit and another eagle, the march block/prevention is much more useful than the extra shots.

Yeah, this is excellent! TY Angel of Rust!

Graktoof the vile, victor of 1000 battles, partial credit to 1000 more, and sore loser about the other 8000...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You've got a damn good point there about march blockers. If you can keep them moving at there normal move, they are screwed. Just a couple of queries:

How would you suggest I tone down/replace altogether my mage?

You say white lions would be better. I am not sure whether I agree as they strike last, meaning if they don't break the enemy in the 1st turn they get pulped. Please elaborate for reason, considering they will mainly be facing cavalry.

Secondly, what would you suggest to block march moves? (If I had bloody dark magic...Dominion). But as I don't how about Ilyrian Reavears. What numbers should I take them in, and what should I sacrifice? Finally: Am I missing something or

Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well, White Lions can move through the most common terrain around here (woods) without penalty. this makes them very good for setting up charges, which is what the flanker thing is all about.

as for march blockers, scouts and flyers are best imo, as they can potentially get right around the battle line of the enemy much easier than light cav. this can allow them to do their march block, without threat, and can possibly hunt down wizards and artillery that isn't protected. i see light cav as more a diversion, which you don't really need with your strat, i think.

Yeah, this is excellent! TY Angel of Rust!

Graktoof the vile, victor of 1000 battles, partial credit to 1000 more, and sore loser about the other 8000...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So they essentially go behind them so they can't be charged. Ah, I see now. I saw my light cavalry/skirmishers being sharged if within 8" (unless facing dwarves) every turn. Thanks! Very useful advice indeed. However, I must ask how scouts will not just get mullered by enemy cavalry. I can see how light cavalry and fliers would evade them, but surely the scouts would just get mushed?

Also, should I drop the commander on eagle altogether and replace him with 2 units of Shadow Warriors? On one hand it seems a good idea, but then if they deploy behind a war machine, what stops it pivoting the next turn and blowing the crap out of them? Same goes for a shooty unit...Swivel...Fire...Dead. Would they ever even survive to block march moves?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok. After revision, how's this:

2000 Pts - High Elves Army

1 Archmage @ 330 Pts
    Magic Level 4; Lore of High Magic
    Ring of Fury
    Jewel of the Dusk
    Seer
    Pure of Heart

10 Archers
    Longbow

10 Archers
    Longbow

10 Archers
    Longbow

6 Silver Helms @ 189 Pts

1 Captain

6 Silver Helms @ 189 Pts

1 Captain

6 Dragon Princes @ 218 Pts
    Lance; Dragon Armour; Shield; Standard; Ithilmar Barding

1 Drakemaster

9 Swordmasters @ 154 Pts
    Great Weapon; Heavy Armour; Standard

1 Bladelord

3 Tiranoc Chariots

2 Repeater Bolt Throwers

2 Great Eagles

Casting Pool: 7

Dispel Pool: 4

Models in Army: 73

Total Army Cost: 1995

I was very agrieved to drop two bolt throwers, but I guess I needed the rare slot for the eagles, as they are by far the best march blockers available. This also allowed me to drop my overpriced commander, and take 3 tiranoc chariots, which are bound to come in handy for supporting the archers if the enemy get too close.

Please comment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seems like you have taken some of the advice into account, kudos man. But I would still try both lists, our advice may not always turn out to be the best, and perhaps those 4 bolt throwers will come in handy. Trial and error dude, trial and error.

As for the mage, are the rings and Jewels really needed? a level 4 mage that can choose his own spells is hard enough for me. Also, the swordmasters are looking canny small still. They are nails up close, but as a result will be a target of the enemys guns. More is needed in my eyes.

-Gibb.
    Legendary Dark Eldar Site

"To play the blues, all you need is barbwire strung to a wooden pulp, an aching heart, and a babe who done left you"

Win/Loss- Who Cares?

"The only thing thats good to lose is your virginity"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, take it this way: I'd much rather take bolt throwers than the chariots, but it is the rare slots that are constricing me. If anyone can suggest a realistic and effective alternative to the eagles (with how to use them please) then I'd be grateful .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If anyone can suggest a realistic and effective alternative to the eagles (with how to use them please) then I'd be grateful

You could try using Shadow Warriors instead of the Eagles.5 or more do the job just fine,make sure you don't take a Shadow Walker cause he's just a waist of points.Place them in front of your line and you shoud be just fine.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast