High Elves Army Selector - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x4)

Hello everyone!

What follows is a list of generic army compositions many High Elf players employ. This list is not meant to be exhaustive, but merely a starting place for new players.

I like horses!
    Cavalry list

Army: High Elves

Heroes: Commander / Prince on ithilmar barded elf steeds, mages on the same.

Units to Consider: Silver Helms, Ellyrian Reavers, Tiranoc Chariots, Dragon Princes.

Playing Basics: Use your superior movement to manouvre into charge range and break through with combined efforts from your silver helms and dragon princes. As back up, if combat is locked, chariots charging in the following turn can swing combat into your favour quite easily.

Let us show them who are truly the masters of magic!
    Magic heavy

Army: High Elves, Sea Patrol List.

Heroes: Archmage(s) and mages, commander or prince with the gem of hoeth or loremaster honour as well.

Units to Consider: Swordmasters for fluff reasons and their ability to be given the banner of sorcery. Banner of arcane protection can also be given to another unit, such as dragon princes.

Playing Basics: Protect the unit with the banner of sorcery as though it were made of gold (because of the extra power dice that they generate) and zap any flyers and skirmishers first, followed by ranked foremost elements and hopefully you'll never have to see a spec of combat!

We invented the bow, fill the heathens full of arrows!
    Shooty armies

Army: High elf or Sea Patrol

Heroes: Commander with reaver bow, Lord with bow of the seafarer and a mage with the seer honour and curse of arrow attraction spell is a must!

Units to Consider: Archers, Lothern Sea Guard (very expensive in terms of points though - think hard before taking them!), repeater bolt throwers, shadow warriors.

Playing Basics: Especially with the Sea Patrol list, your shooting phase will be lethal as everything in the list will have the ability to to shoot. Use tactics as above, but also target opposing war machines with your own magic and repeater bolt throwers. To maximise effects, use curse of arrow attraction to take apart one unit at at time.

Our infantry are skilled and perfectly drilled. None shall dare cross our paths!
    Infantry blocks of troops

Army: High Elf

Heroes: Prince or Commander on foot, especially with Armour of the gods and the swordmaster honour.

Units to Consider: Spearmen, swordmasters, white lions, phoenix guards.

Playing Basics: Spears take and hold the centre charges while your white lions and / or phoenix guards come in like pincers for the kill on your opponent's flanks.

We are veterans from the guerilla war on the dreaded Druchii.
    Guerilla warfare style multiple small unit list

Army: High Elves.

Heroes: Any with bows, shadow armour gives a prince or commander a further interesting option here. Lion guard honour fits well in wooded terrain also. Great eagle mounts are great here too.

Units to Consider: Multiple small units of archers and/or spears, many shadow warriors and ellyrian reavers, white lions and great eagles.

Playing Basics: The key with this list is evasion and fighting on your terms only. try to concentrate your magic and shooting on one unit at a time, fight close combats when the enemy is weakened enough to succumb to a combined attack from two or more of your units at a time.

Balance in all things.
    Balanced list

Heroes: One mage, one commander.

Units to Consider: One of each of the plastic boxes, a couple rbts, shades a couple of chariots and some reavers and you will have a force that will be able to adapt to most situations that you encounter.

Playing Basics: reavers and silver helms can take out distanced units quickly, or, you can wait for the enemy with infinite patience as your repeater bolty thower, magic and archers take their toll on the enemy - your spearmen eager to receive their weakened charge when they eventually make it across the field, cavalry and chariots waiting in the wings to charge in and win the day.

I need an army, cheap!
    For those on a budget

Heroes: Your pick of a single character blister, they're all about the same price and there's a nice selection available.

Units to Consider: Any boxed set is a great start, possibly one of each even (one silver helm, spearmen and archer boxed set) for a nice and balanced force. Add a repeater bolt thrower and you're done. Also, keep your eyes peeled for the high elf battalion box which is coming out in the next few months, it will have all of the above except for the force leader.

Playing Basics: As above under the 'balanced list'.

* Please note - Sea Patrol list appears in Storm of Chaos army book. If you cannot find the book, never fear, the link is here:

http://stormofchaos.uk.games-worksho...es/default.htm

* Armour of the Gods appears in the 'Treasures from Albion' part on the GW website, link is here: Click here for Treasure! The link to the download is at the bottom of the page in blue.

Any other types that need to be added? :hmm:

The iron crowned is getting closer,
    Swings his hammer down on him,
    Like a thunderstorm he's crushing,
    Down the Noldor's proudest king.

Under my foot, so hopeless it seems.
    You've troubled my day, now feel the pain.
    - Blind Guardian

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x5)

A balanced list, it looks like what you suggest at the budget list. But it deserves it's own place.

Tai'shar
    Lance Leader of the LO Codex: Wasters design team

Forged in fire, bonded in ice
    Son of Fenris, Son of Russ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x4)

I actually had that type of list in mind Araith, but still omitted it for some reason (must be getting old). Thanks for the input, updated!
    The iron crowned is getting closer,
    Swings his hammer down on him,
    Like a thunderstorm he's crushing,
    Down the Noldor's proudest king.

Under my foot, so hopeless it seems.
    You've troubled my day, now feel the pain.
    - Blind Guardian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

53 (x5)

And of course fluff themed lists.
    Like Sea Patrol, Annuli garrison/patrol, expeditionary or kindom specific.

Tai'shar

Senior Member JuliusGaiusCaesar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What about SH in a balanced list, are they ok?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

don't know much, but i can't see why not. they can ride along with chariots and reavers and charge flanks with em. the thing is, if you adapt too much into this, it'll probably lean more towards the cavalry list.. :p
    "One thing that intrigues people to fantasy is how different it is from reality. Make sure you remember that difference, and you'll have a wonderful time."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

53 (x5)

Balance in all things.
    Balanced list

Heroes: One mage, one commander.

Units to Consider: One of each of the plastic boxes, a couple rbts, shades a couple of chariots and some reavers and you will have a force that will be able to adapt to most situations that you encounter.
    Btw, Shades? Shadow Warriors. This isn't DE

Tai'shar

Nottingham (yes, thats right, home of GW!)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My army is currently at 2000 pts (or will be when i get that last RBT!*)
    It is a mix with SH, archers, spearmen, chariot, shadow warriors, 2 RBT*.
    It is lead by teclis, a comander and a mage.
    From here, I want to turn it to a foot slogging force, with some swordmasters and pheonix guard.
    Will the SH still fit in? (just for a bit of support)
    BTW even an army on foot can be faster than most troops.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    88 (x2)

Spec Characters? Eh?

Guys, Spec Characters are great but have you seen their points? Good Gods, you can have four level 2 Mages for the same cost as Teclis, and they're all difficult to kill as there are so many and you can fit them in chariots and on Eagles. Teclis in my experience has been killed by charging Knights and War Machines in three turns, whereas our cheap common Mages may die one by one but you still have other spellcasters on the table when they do.

These characters aren't indestructible, and the dice don't always fall the way we like. I charged a unit of Ogre Bulls with Tyrion leading ten Silver Helms. I took three casualties from Gut Magic en route, and caused only one wound on contact. In contrast, the Ogres caused three wounds back and Tyrion's little lot ran, to be run down by four Ogres worth a fifth of their points.

As for Imrik, he was pinned down by a Druchii Anointed from the Dark Elf Cult of Slaanesh list and killed inside three turns, unable to even hit this DE Hero worth a third of his points. That was a HE Lord riding a sodding great big Dragon.

Stick to independent Heroes on mobile platforms, preventing the enemy from rushing your weak units. They're the best part of a HE army IMO, but very expensive. I know it's a tired old cliche, but "use them, don't lose them".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i Guess "Infantry blocks of troops" is the CC oriented type?
    im new to FB so i wonder if a list of these units would work?

High elf hero
    Spearmen
    Swordmasters
    Phoenix Guard

I dont no much at all about them, exept they are cc oriented
    but would it work, or would it be hard?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast