Magic heavy High Elves questions - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Magic heavy High Elves questions

I am strongly thinking about starting a High Elves army. I already have a large Dwarf army, which in spite of my relative lack of experience (only been playing them off and on for around 8 months) I have had very good luck with. I also play Eldar in 40k, which oddly enough, seem an awful lot like HE.
    My main reason for considering HE is that I want something polarly opposite from my Dwarves, but also want a "good (non-evil) army" otherwise I would be posting in the DE forums. HE are plenty fast, skilled, and soft (not that dwarves aren't skilled) and seem to have good potential in the other aspects of the game, yet seem to get poor reviews, which could make them a welcome challenge to try and play well. In particular, I would like to field a magic heavy army, preferably 3 casters and a BSB in 2k points. I have a few questions about such an army that I would appreciate any advice on:
    1. Does this work well?
    2. What units compliment each other in such a setup?
    3. What lores, besides High Magic, should I consider?
    4. Should my Archmage use High Magic or a different lore, and if something other than High, what lore?
    5. Will every person I play cry "Cheese" if I field such an army?

I realize that it is impossibe to predict the outcome against all possible opponents, but would like to get general feedback.

Thank you

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Now 17% more helpful gingerninja's Avatar
    In the ninja lab.......of course it exists!!!!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    262 (x7)

Hello.

1) To answer your questions having 3 casters at 2000pts can be achieved without it being cheesy. I use it quite often, and it works well for me.

2) I have always used the following army in a 3 caster situation.

Lord---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Archmage lv4
    Seer, Annulyian Crystal

Heroes------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Commander
    Gem of Hoeth, Heavy Armour, Shield, Lance, Barded Steed

Mage Lv2
    Seer, Silver Wand

Core--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

20 Spearmen
    Full Command

20 Spearmen
    Full Command

5 Silver Helms (Full Armour) Commander Goes Here
    Lion Standard

5 Silver Helms (Full Armour)

Special------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

20 Swordmasters
    Full Command
    Banner of Sorcery

Rare---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2 Bolt Throwers

This gives you a 3 caster set up, and a lot of magic resistance at the same time, as well as fast maneuverable flanking units and a solid centre. Of course you don't have to use this list, it's just a suggestion.

3) In this set up I always give my commander lore of light, for pha's illumination and my lv2 mage lore of heavens. This works very well.

4) I always give my archmage high magic, and the following spells. Walk between worlds, curse of arrow attraction, fury of khaine and flames of the pheonix/vauls unmaking, depending on what army they are fielding

5) No-one has cried cheese at me yet!!

I hope this is helpful

4)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    139 (x8)

High Elf heavy magic armies are one of the common ways for them to go, so no it isn't cheesy.

Usually I have seen them work well combines with strong shooting, that way curse of arrow attraction can be cast and offensive magic can work with the shooting to really whittle the opponents before they get close. Eagles are also nice to slow the opponent down a bit.

Lore of heavens used to work very well for archmages, because it was so destructive and the comet was just brilliant. These days it might not be the best idea because it got shafted, still could be ok though. Other than that I find High always works well for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd even go as far to say take 4 caster in a 2000pt army.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that'll be a little over done. Looking at his list, its already pretty small, even for high elves. Already the magic phase has 10-12 power dice.

+ Reply to Thread