Why High elves - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why High elves

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x2)

Why High elves

Hey i dont play warhammer (regular) i play 40k but i want to get into it. I was thinking high elves becasue they look oike disaplined soldieres but when i read white dwarfs they never seem to win their reports.

also do the elves have a nonrepeating bolt thrower and if it shoots several shots why wouldnt you just put it in the middle as it can kill with essentially all of those shots. I have read all of the Warhammer tacticas and The Art of Warhammer in white dwarf and it seems like the elves have good calvarly mages and the bolthrowers. When i looked at their models it said the foot soldiers were not even their full time soldiers so are they not good.
    And finally could you guys direct me to a cool website that allows you to read some background and or look at some of the models or realms represented in the codex.

thanks in advance
    Deek out...................

o yeah and are they really the ancestors of the eldar my bro keeps telling me i want to play the girly eldar ancestors.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HE foot troops arnt full time soldiers but think about it elves live for thosands of years, so what if thay dont train full time thay are at least the match for any human troops.
    high elves 1/1/0 (since i sign on to LO, but countless battles before that)

building a new IG army as we speek its about 500pts sofar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    106 (x6)

High Elves are almost always outnumbered and really shine in the shooting and magic phases of the game, and if you use the all cavalry list they can take it to any opponent in hand to hand. The repeater bolt thrower, while expensive, and either shoot the big bolt, or 6 little bolts. Most of the time your playing defensive, with holding the line with your spearman, while you archers,mage's,and bolt thrower unleash the volleys. Your Dragon Princes, Silverhelms and harder units lead counter charges and flank charges.

I switched to high elves after getting sick of the mob mentality of orcs and the redundancies of chaos. High elves are more a thinking man's army... similar to the Eldar.
    40K-Beakies(9-14-4),Guard(4-7-2),Orks(34-12-11). FANTASY-Dwarves(15-6-7),Beasts (14-14-1), Skaven (17-17-10) DoC (6-1-2). CYGNAR (28-15-1)

Naggaroth, the land of chill (Canada, Kingston)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Deek
    Hey i dont play warhammer (regular) i play 40k but i want to get into it. I was thinking high elves becasue they look oike disaplined soldieres but when i read white dwarfs they never seem to win their reports.

also do the elves have a nonrepeating bolt thrower and if it shoots several shots why wouldnt you just put it in the middle as it can kill with essentially all of those shots. When i looked at their models it said the foot soldiers were not even their full time soldiers so are they not good.
    And finally could you guys direct me to a cool website that allows you to read some background and or look at some of the models or realms represented in the codex.

thanks in advance
    Deek out...................

o yeah and are they really the ancestors of the eldar my bro keeps telling me i want to play the girly eldar ancestors.
    It doesn't matter if they don't win High Elfs win the battle reports, because they seem very fixed(well in my prespective). YOu must have tactics and dice on your side of the board when it comes to winning.

Well you have terrain to worry about and dice rolls (kinda like me and my helblaster) when it comes to Bolt throwers. The High elf foot soliders manly consist of milita.. they may not be tough or have strong armour but they have powerful magic, faster speed and high BS with bows to bring your enemy to a bear.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x2)

Ok good so far but do the different kingdoms have their own separate army and need or should be painted accordingly or do they all just come together to make one large army. I would like to paint them the way they are supposed to look and im going to test it before i jump into the army. I still dont know if i dont want empire the halbreders look so cool. and the dark elve spearmen look cooler in my opinion.

And what about monsters i know the dark elves can use the but can the high elves use any monsters at all other than that special dude.

Lastly, what are your guys oppinions on tomb kings.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

there lords can ride dragons or great eagles, the heros can ride great eagles and there are great eagles unriden in the army list
    high elves 1/1/0 (since i sign on to LO, but countless battles before that)

building a new IG army as we speek its about 500pts sofar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x2)

There are two official High Elven army lists:

one universal army list that has to many 0-1 restrictions that nigh all lists look alike.

One centered around the Lothern Sea Guard that has so many has-to-haves and so little other choices that nearly all lists look alike.

At Asur.org they have made regional army lists for the High Elves (which, if you do not plan on going to tournaments, are an excellent option to create a nice, themed list that is unique from the others)
    Use Light, Beasts, Metal instead of Heavens
    NecroLords: Use at least one Death Mage
    Brets: Use Peasants&Damsels
    Skaven: Don't use Skryre SAD

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this might be repetitive up I hope it helps anyway:

Infantry: Our infantry are militia men, they serve part time but who cares? You play 40k and no dought you've seen what guardians can do. Also Spearmen are armed with (could it be?) spears, but they are so skilled that they fight in three ranks. Our elite infantry (swordmasters, white lions) are amazing units but can't hold out against oppressive numbers or basically any enemy that charges.

Calvary: Our calvary is cheap (for elves anyway) and effective. Esp the Dragon princes, with M 9 they are the second fastest unit in the game (barring the steeds of slannesh). With high WS and the lance charging bonus they can quickly munch through enemies.

Shooting/Magic: We have the universly feared RBT, it can fire ether multiple shots or one concentrated shots to take out infantry or calvary, respectivily. I don't see ws so great about our magic but we get discounts on magic items that other races would have to pay more for.

In short high elves are like eldar in 40k. They are fast and strike hard but are relativly fragile. They benefit on being able to pick their fights. It takes a while to master them though (not to mention the spearmen are a pain in the ass when in comes to painting :p)
    "Heresy is like a garden weed, it won't stop feeding until you... BURN THE WHOLE DAMN GARDEN WITH A FLAMER, BURN IT, BURN IT TO HELL!!!!!" "Is there a wittle puppy in the garden? ITS A DAEMON! BURN IT!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x2)

What is so great about High Elven characters?

On the fighting side of things, it can be summed up into one name: Armour of the Gods

On the magic side:

Awesome Lore selection

Seer Honour

Book of Hoeth

Innate +1 to Dispel stacks with Staff of Sorcery (which makes your dispels pretty insane)
    Use Light, Beasts, Metal instead of Heavens
    NecroLords: Use at least one Death Mage
    Brets: Use Peasants&Damsels
    Skaven: Don't use Skryre SAD

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ooh yeah forgot about seer and channeler

the thing with he characters is simple: WS 6 and WS 7.

Pretty nice for avarage run of the mill characters.

slap on some nice items and you get 4 WS 7 S 7 attacks, killing blow, 3+ save and a 5+ ward ^_^
    "Heresy is like a garden weed, it won't stop feeding until you... BURN THE WHOLE DAMN GARDEN WITH A FLAMER, BURN IT, BURN IT TO HELL!!!!!" "Is there a wittle puppy in the garden? ITS A DAEMON! BURN IT!"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast