Favorite Commander Combos - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Favorite Commander Combos

What are your favorite commander combos? I enjoy using this combo...

Commander
    Armour of the Gods, Sword of Might

This is a good commander model on foot, with strength six hits and 3+ save.

or this is another good one...

Commander
    Sword of Might, Heavy Armour, Elven Steed, Ilthmar Barding, Shield, and Helm of Fortune, and Amulet of Protection

This Commander is the ultimate survival machine, and with a 1+ save and 6+ ward save. He also strikes with strength 5 hits, not as good as the previous, but this is hopefully made up for by his save. This is a good one for challenges.

What are your favorite commander combos? All posts welcome!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    139 (x8)

Commander, eagle, heavy armour, lance, enchanted shield, reaver bow.

He who hunts. Can march block, shoot/charge lone mages or warmachines, can shoot blocks or even light cavalry to whittle them down, is good on the charge so can aid combat resolution when a unit is having a hard time... Hes great.
    The LO ANZAC Clan!

The Pirate's Haven BFG clan! Breathe life into this fantastic GW system.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I mainly use a commander, armour of Protection and a halberd. Nice S5 and a 4+ ward.
    Further more, Commander with SOM, guarding phoenis, enchanted shield, lance, heavy armour and a ilthmer bardrd elven steed.

And ahh.. strewart can that commander of yours brak a flank (2 for comm and 3 for eagle equils 5) enough to greak a flank, or am i wrong?
    Last edited by elfwarden; November 24th, 2005 at 10:13.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    139 (x8)

The unit strength for the commander is apparently only 1, so no he can't... When he charges it is only when there is another unit at the front and he is aidning combat resolution.

Or, another thing I forgot to mention, as a suicide run. Used mostly against undead, he charges the heirophant/VC general (necro) and directs all attacks onto them, kills them, then flees by being beaten and outnumbered by fear causing enemies. So it usually isn't suicide, he gets away, but even if he dies its still worth it. Good for killing lvl 4 wizards and screwing your opponents magic phase too.
    The LO ANZAC Clan!

The Pirate's Haven BFG clan! Breathe life into this fantastic GW system.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ive tried making an eagle commander to suicide run my friends tomb king's heirophant, but he puts his heirophant up on a casket of souls, and so their are many defenses that he puts up to protect it (Archers) and so he is always shot down, or fried by the casket, but not very often because of his leadership and my dispel dice. What do ya'll think I should do?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used to take the Bow of Seafarer and Ring of Corin and kept him on foot, but recently in an attempt to improve comp scores lost the bow, often he lacks suitable targets by about turn 3 anyway.

Latest combo is the Vambraces of Defense and Ring of Corin, plus great weapon, Enchanted shield and Dragon armour on Barded Elven Steed. 4+ ward, 1+ armour save with rerolls or 3+ with the great weapon- hence depending if I need the str6 I decide which combo. I have found that the great weapon works better than the lance as turn 2 if you are stuck then str 6 is always useful, while turn 1 the armour save difference doesnt matter as you tend to smash most opponents for no fight back anyway.:yes:

As I support with 2 level 2 mages and the banner of sorcery and ring of fury, the ring of corin is particularly nasty and often opponents will use just one dice to try to dispel it, which means it often gets through. The benefits of giving it to the commander is that he significantly increases the number of targets as he is usually in the thick of things.:shifty:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by strewart
    The unit strength for the commander is apparently only 1, so no he can't... When he charges it is only when there is another unit at the front and he is aidning combat resolution.
    i thought that caracters had unit strength 2?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by elfwarden
    i thought that caracters had unit strength 2?
    Only if mounted, i believe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    86 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by elfwarden
    I mainly use a commander, armour of Protection and a halberd. Nice S5 and a 4+ ward.
    Further more, Commander with SOM, guarding phoenis, enchanted shield, lance, heavy armour and a ilthmer bardrd elven steed.

And ahh.. strewart can that commander of yours brak a flank (2 for comm and 3 for eagle equils 5) enough to greak a flank, or am i wrong?
    I think the US for this unit is four. (Three for the three wound eagle, and then an extra one for the character riding.

Additionally, what base size is the Great Eagle? I run an Eagle mounted Wood Elf character, and no one seems to know whether I have him on the right sized base (40mm), or if he needs to be on a monster base (50mm).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In White Dwarf a while ago, when the Lustrian campaign was starting, they gave out a sheet listing every unit strength from every army, and what size base they should be mounted on. If I could only find it, then I could tell you...

This is mine at the moment:

Commodore
    Armour of the Gods, Sword of battle, Shield

This gives him 4 strength 5 attacks, and a decent bonus save (not sure what it is exactly with the shield and Armour of the Gods).

Has any one tried a Commander with the Shadow Armour?
    Time in reconaissance is seldom wasted...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast