Librarium Online Forums banner

What would you do to HE?

7K views 128 replies 22 participants last post by  Plague_00 
#1 · (Edited)
Now I'm not saying my friend quit HE because he think they got clobbered with the nerf bat, there were definitely plenty of other reasons (serious girlfriend/college) but it definitely gave him a reason not to fit it into his free time with any sort of priority. Having always fought them in the past I did notice a considerable difference in the editions. Like I've done in the Bretonnian and vampire forums what changes would you think make the most sense for the units in the army?

Spearmen: These are basically fine with the ability they already have, its basic and puts a weird curve of their efficiency because of their cost and their high quality.

Archers: These guys probably need to be able to fire in two ranks again, thats not hideous and again gives them the slightest advantages in the long run while making them seem highly highly disciplined.

Sea Guard: Just the fact that they'd get to fire in 2 ranks and spear in three makes them good enough IMO.

Silver helms: Nothing wrong with them, they're supposed to be core, leave it as it is.

Reavers: Up to one unit can have the ithilmar barding taking up an extra special slot ? Just another way to have a beefy HQ unit.

Dragon princes: These guys need some sort of leadership effect on the army. As long as they are in CC any other units in the same CC are stubborn (but not the DKs) To represent these knights inspirint their brethren to fight on, of course if the princes break thats not going to impress anybody =D

Shadow warriors: As a charge reaction these guys should be able to stand and shoot as normal but afterwards should get to roll artillery and scatter dice to "shift" out of the way of the charge to represent their stealthy misdirecting movement. A hit means you chooese the direction and a misfire means you dont move at all.

Sword masters: are fine but it might be nice to add the missle deflection again.

Chariots: No serious recommendations here, dont see them enough.

Phoenix guard should have a consequence to killing them as in an extra single attack for each model you kill.

White lions should either always hit with their axes but the opponent makes an initiative test to dodge or the opponent uses his initiative for his WS to avoid being hit.

Repeater bolt thrower is fine, dont upgrade it

Great eagles.... umm make this like a super high quality unit rare version of fell bats / carrion etc.. change stats around a little but other than that its all good.

See less See more
#2 ·
I don't agree with giving reavers armour.. They're fast cavalry, they're not meant to be tough. You should have a similar thing for Silver helms, you know the 'first among equals' for a magic banner? Let FAE unit upgrade to ithilmar.

Archers need serious help.. I'm not sure if I'd take them even with two ranks of shooting, it still isn't going to help them kill anything is it? But on the other hand we can't have them as good as WE ones, because WE are the shooty elves. I'm not sure what should be done.. I don't want cheap and nasty ones either.

Seaguard do need work, maybe if they shot in two ranks they'd be ok since they have spears in three ranks too..

Swordmasters need something to make them harder to kill. They die as easily as goblins ffs. Some kind of block save both in combat and shooting.

Chariots are good enough as is.

Phoenix Guard suck as they are.. Definitely need some fancy special rules to make them fluffy and worth taking.

Not sure about White Lions, and both RBT and eagles are good as they are.

Mainly it is seaguard, archers and phoenix guard that need work. Then some fluff special rules for the others to make them more interesting. And ditch intrigue at court..

#3 ·
Ok... i agree with you guy on what needs to be changed, but i also think that well

Our CC Heros suck... compared to the other races, Even a WE CC Hero will tear ours apart, and that is sad... :cry:

Personaly id like a revision with the addition of new magic items and a raising of stats for the heros... mabey another wound toughness and an attack.

I mean, you see all these 200pt heros with you know 8 S7 attacks with a 0+ save, 4+ ward, and re-rolls on failed.. also with some more special rules..

Wheres are killer hero???!?!

#8 · (Edited)
Oooohh tell us a story Silvien, pleaaaaaaaaase? =D

(btw someone comment on my shadow warrior idea. Basically the idea is when they're being charged they puposefully use their stealthy agility to misdirect their charge. They still get to fire because the shooting is part of the deception. Rolling the artiliary and scatter dice just determines what direction the shadow warriors were forced to misdirect them. Whatever the results the unit that charged still attempts to complete the charge, and if for any reason they cant they fail the charge as normal. If the dice roll results in the shadow warriors colliding with another unit they count as engaging with fresh models. This would give the HE more of a chaotic result on the field while giving them a high quality possible result.)

#9 ·
Good idea for the shadow warriors.. . but i dont think GW will go for it... because the BMOC who makes all the final decisions is an Orc .. . .

lol

I doubt they will improve the HE that much.. all i wish for is a better CC hero.. And/Or cheaper/better magic items to equip them with.

Also.. another core unit would be realy nice.

What would realy make my Xmass would be an IMPROVEMENT on the RBT.. where the multi shot PIERCED RANKS!

Just imagine the orks, gobos, SKAVEN... that would be slaughtered.. MMUUHAHAHAHA

MERRY CHRISTMASS and HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!

Commander

#10 ·
rofl ok if you make the RBT pierce ranks then it needs to not be able to choose and it needs its armor piercing reduced or something of that nature. What they really need is something different than what the DE get. Perhaps let it fire at different units but for each unit it shoots at it gets -1 to str in addition to losing a str per rank.

#11 ·
Hmmm. If I can find the article on the net again then I will post it. I do have a hard copy but I can't be bothered retyping 2 pages. :) Anyway, I think the SW idea is great. I also think it has a slim to none chance of getting through...

#12 ·
Just a few changes:
Spears get heavy armor, or they become a point less.
Archers become a point less and can fire in two ranks.
There can't be more SH choices then spear, archers, LSG
LSG are 2 points cheaper.
DP get St 4
PG become special and a few points cheaper.
CC heros a little better...as someone said, WE heros shouldnt be better.

All of that .... OR .... High Elf infantry get free reform.

#13 ·
I think the thought of 1 point cheaper for archers plus fire in two ranks is rediculous. I think they should just give them fire in two ranks (just as i think they should give that ability to handgunner of both dwarves and Empire because of the ease in which a gun can be fired in two ranks versus a bow)

#14 ·
Themed armies would be great as well.. ATM, so many of our choices are 0-1. Take themed armies from different parts of Ulthuan so you can get more of a certain type. Maybe even make it an honour for the heroes? Your general can take Caledor honour for example, it gives a minor advantage to him and removes the 0-1 on Dragon princes. The swordmaster honour would remove the 0-1 on SM. Obviously only one could be taken per army..

#15 ·
I definitely agree with the spearmen either getting heavier armor or becoming one point cheaper...personally, I would prefer the heavier armor.

Archers should not lose the point, just make them able to fire in two ranks.

Yes...LSG should be 2 points cheaper...

Yes...DP should get S4, because they've been training for, like, ever...

Yes...PG should be cheaper, but not special...

And we definitely need better CC heroes...

(btw...your Shadow Warrior idea is amazing Domstrae...)

Well, these are my thoughts...but I honestly don't think GW is going to go with them...:cry:

#17 ·
Why should it be different then the DE? It's the same weapon. They were both developed long ago when the elven race was whole; it just was changed to look differently. I don't think the RPBT needs change. If I could make one change it would be to make the he archers shoot in 2 ranks again (the models are even currently posed for it!). Wouldn't make them all that useful.. but it's something.

#19 ·
methinks that the BIGGEST change, needs to be the archers. now im looking at this from a merely fluff perspective, why do our archer have no advantage? the wood elves have moving and shooting, close range bow shots, etc, etc. dark elves have fancy repeater crossbows. and our archers, nothing. we need something for them to make them stand out from our misguided brethren(and make them a viable choice) another unit in need of serious help, is phoenix guard, now i personally LOVE the fluff behind them. the whole silence thing is pretty cool to imagine, but with a T 3 and 5+ armor, they dont last very long, and arent really worth it. also the sea guard need improvement, they arent really a good use of points(15 points? come on!) i was thinking that the archers should be able to fire through allied units, as if they werent blocking line of sight(as seen in LOTR) that would give them the whole discipline thing and make them an interesting choice. as for the Phoenix guard, lower points, i cant really think of anything for them. and finally the sea guard, make them have the same abilities as spears and archers, and viola! a good unit. so what do you chaps say, yay, or nay?

P.S- does anyone know when they are going to release an updated version of the HE army book? we really need it!

#21 ·
I play versus HE alot, so i am speaking from an opponent's perspective, i think that the greatest thing they can to is to get rid of all the 0-1 limitations, as they got rid of them for the dwarves (which i play). I think that they should use the same sort of system they used for dwarf slayers (there is still the 0-1 limitation, but for every slayer hero or lord they can take an additional slayer unit).

#22 ·
hmmm a point decrease for archers, current points cost for phonix guard but make them unbreakable if the general is in it, shift phonix and lion guard over to special, give swordmasters a 5+ ward in addition to their armour, give the commanders and princes and dragon princes stubborn or imune to panic and lastly a new core unit ; elves with heavy armour and the option to take halberds, add hand weapons and sheilds oh and make swordmasters 0-1 for every charter with the swormaster honor

#23 ·
*collects jaw from floor*

What the...

Archers need a point decrease, granted. And PG need a rules fix, too. But moving both White Lions and Phoenix Guard to Special? So one could take Swordmasters, White Lions, Phoenix Guard AND in addition 2 of both Eagles and RBTs?

And a 5+ true Ward for Swordmasters? Still at 13-pt cost? No thanks...

Stubborn characters? Where would that leave the Lion Guard Honour?

As for 0-1's, kill all but the 0-1 on PG and perhaps Dragon Princes (and make new honours/lists to waive them)

#26 ·
well keep the phonix and lion guard in current slots then but somthing has to be done with he characters as they are there crap.

hmmm what about a 5+ ward save against missle weapons only for the swordmasters then.

"Swordmasters, White Lions, Phoenix Guard AND in addition 2 of both Eagles and RBTs?" you know how many points that would be! plus you would run out of specials really quickly

all lsg need is to fire in two ranks as unless i'm mistaken they already fight in 3

all the honours need re-doing i think the only one currently worth it's points is seer and swordmaster.

p.s. what about my idea for a new core i really like the idea of elves with 2 handweapons or a halberd

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.