which is better - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: which is better

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

which is better

iv'e posted this in the wood elf forum as well i have been wanting to feild a dragon for some time and i finally came up with enough cash to buy one but i don't want to buy one that is gonna suck and die on the battlefeild so i have made 4 and asking which is better,

wood elven= naestra and arahan, lord +heroe-595

highborn,dragon,stone of crystal mere,sword of might,enchanted sheild, light armour, lord +heroe-528

high elven = imrik, lord + 2 heroes-675

prince,dragon,vambrace of defense,enchanted sheild,sword of might, dragon armour, lord + heroe-533

"take my love, take my land, take me to where i cannot stand, i don't care i'm still free you can't take the sky from meee" ;- firefly

"i'm gonna grant you your greatest wish i'm gonna show you a world without sin" ;- serentiy

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how i soar" ;- serenity

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    139 (x8)

Well, I'm not sure about the others but Imrik is most certainly not worth his points. Since his is the only HE dragon model though, you'll end up getting it anyway most likely, but use him as a normal prince not as Imrik.
    The LO ANZAC Clan!

The Pirate's Haven BFG clan! Breathe life into this fantastic GW system.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i know that if i go with he i'll have to convert imrik same as if i go with wood elves i'll have to convert naestra and arahan

the question is which out of the four listed above is better
    "take my love, take my land, take me to where i cannot stand, i don't care i'm still free you can't take the sky from meee" ;- firefly

"i'm gonna grant you your greatest wish i'm gonna show you a world without sin" ;- serentiy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the HE lord looks great, maybe give him a lance as well, makes him better pn the charge, and you don't have to clip Imrik completly apart.
    He has lots of staying power, so go for it i say!

Good Hunting!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know about the WE combo's, but on the HE take the prince on dragon. Like elfwarden said give him a lance and you may think about giving him the the Amlet of Purifying Flame.

For about 20 pionts these will give you a +2 strenght on the charge and a -3 to spells cast against the unit .

Good luck and may the winds of magic be with you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x2)

I've used a HE prince on a dragon a lot and been so successfull with it that I stopped using him. Too powerfull. Anyway, I don't know about the WE ones but in general I would stay away from special characters. You can't modify them to your strategy, the use special characters is not always appreciated and them in the case of Imrik with 2 additional hero slot will levave you 1 additional character in 2000 points.

Here is what I've been most successfull with:
    Prince on dragon - dragon armor - lance - shield - vambraces of defense - reaver bow - 557 points

Keep in mind that you don't want your dragon in combat. This may seem weird but that's where they are most vunerable. You get them in combat when you win without doubt.

Example: You charge into a unit and kill 4 orcs. The orcs don't do a wound in return. Combat res is you 4 orcs 3 ranks, banner, outnumber. You lose by one. And that is with having to do 4 wounds and not receiving a wound in return. If they do only one wound in return and you only kill 3 instead of 4 you lose by 3 and have to test on a LD of 7. Not good with a 500+ pts model. And even if you don't break you have a 500+ point model locked in combat for several turns.

So just use him to assist your other unit in combat. Other then that you need to use it's greatest strenghts. Terror, fear causing and flying.

You can use the flying to hop around and stay out of charge arcs. Then position yourself as close to the enemy as possible without being able to be charged. Then in the shooting phase breath fire on as many troops as possible. Don't try to kill as many models but try to kill at least 1 model in as many troops as possible. Usually you can hit 3 units. Sometimes even 4 or 5. But let's say you can hit 3. Every unit that takes a casualty will need to take a panic check. So that's an easy 3 panic checks right there. Now here is why you want the reaver bow on your dragon. You often end up behind the enemy line (forcing your opponent to do a lot of reform moves to face the dragon so they don't get charged in the rear) and since you want to stay out of combat you want the skills of your prince to help you out. Since the dragon flies and never marches you can always fire your bow. You can use it to cause additional panic checks or mage hunting. A mage that is behind an enemy unit is now all of a sudden a valid target because you can position yourself so he's the closest. Also the prince can shoot at anything he wants and doesn't have to shoot at the same target as the dragon since the dragon uses a breath weapon and doesn't target anything. He just hits things. Then finally when the opponents next turn starts he has to take a terror check for every unit in range of the dragon. Easily 4 to 5 terror checks. So you should get about 7 or 8 panic/terror checks in one round. even with dwarves something is gonna give. Still take the lance to the few time you do end up charging.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    -34 (x0)

Im starting High Elves in a few weeks.......
    even with 2 years of experience i do not see any reason to keep a dragon out of combat, u just payed about 300pts for tha darn thing and if u dont get into combat with it i dont see the point in paying all those points.... and u payed all the cash for equipmewnt for the lord...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

terror is actually worth it sometimes to keep out of combat but i agree with you in that ifi wanted a missle lord i would stick him in a chariot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x2)

It's not just the terror. The High Elf dragon cause panic when they even cause one casualty with the breath weapon. Also with the breath weapon you can easily get 12+ hits. In combat you get 9 attacks which still need 3's to hit. So on average 6 will hit and say only the ones won't wound that is still only 5 kills. 4 is more likely since one of those 4 will probably get a armor save. Then your opponent will probably have a banner, outnumer and 3 ranks and might even get a wound in and oops, you lost by 2. If your dragon runs (not unheard of at testing at ld 8 since you lost by 2) and best case scenario it takes him 2 turns to get back into combat (worst case he gets run down)If you combine the dragon breath with the reaver bow or the fusil then you can easily do more wounds, not risk your dragon and maybe even cause some stuff to run.

+ Reply to Thread