Beating Orcs - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beating Orcs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    -34 (x0)

Beating Orcs

my idea is to have some archers and bolt throwers and 2 mages defended by swordmasters and silver helms and with a few other stuff thrown in like dragon princes gret eagles etc.

But I cant see my cavalry doing any good.

people say to use HE cavalry in 1 rank of 5... i can see that doing any good agsinst orcs... esepcialy the biguns.. that wud mean i hit on 4 and wound on 3 which isnt that gret if i only get 6 attacks... then all i get in combat is a standard and possibly a few kills... muy opeonent will have 3 ranks standard outnumber and when he gets to attack back he will get 3 S4 attacks for each savage orc bigun (aditional wepons) so they are likely to kill more than i do even when i charge... high elf cavalry cant really do much if its only cheap enough in fives! HELP...

and what units u recomend getting to face orcs? im open to sujestions..

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

actually if you kill off the entire rank it won't matter see if a model dies then the one who takes his place can't attack back no mater how many attacks he has the only one immune to this is champions and characters
    "take my love, take my land, take me to where i cannot stand, i don't care i'm still free you can't take the sky from meee" ;- firefly

"i'm gonna grant you your greatest wish i'm gonna show you a world without sin" ;- serentiy

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how i soar" ;- serenity

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    -34 (x0)

but i wont kill the entire front rank... i have 6 attacks and he has 5 frontage... i hit on 4s and wound on 3s so hwe will lieklly get to attack back and he uses a hero and champ wich will do loads of damge!.. AND i will never win combat res with only 2 or 3 kills he will have ranks outnumber and maybe kills..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x2)

you have 11 attacks 6 from the riders 5 from the horses. Then even is they are big uns you still have a 3+ armor save. And on top of that you have enough speed to hit flanks. If you are any good at the game you don't need the strongest troops and lots of shooting/magic to win a game of warhammer. You win it in the movement phase.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    54 (x2)

Two words: combined charges.

Hit the flank with cavalry and the front with a chariot or whatever at the same time. The combination of kills and negated rank bonus, and even mabe outnumbering if the units are big enough, will see off Orcs.

If you are any good at the game you don't need the strongest troops and lots of shooting/magic to win a game of warhammer. You win it in the movement phase.
    Correct. Warhammer is a game that hinges on the ability of the player to manoeuvre his units to effective positions.
    Last edited by Perturabo; March 14th, 2006 at 12:10.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well my bast friend plays grimgor ard boyz, so i have had my share of battles against orcs.
    i find a charge with some nice infantry (favo: SM) and a chariot very nice. The SM hit and wound on 3 and the impact hits as well, this can cause a lot of damage.

so indeedcombined charges, a unit of spearmen to charge him and hold him for a turn and then (or directly with the Spearelves) a unit of silverhelms in the flank

shadow warriors are also nice to hunt down any mages and slow the orcs down. ensuring that ypu get to charge and to whittle them down with shooting/magic

lastly:
    orcs & golblins can get of a pretty nasty magic fase so beware. But also a Flames of the Phoenix on a unit of gobbo's is devastating (on orcs just ... let it burn a bit longer:shifty: )

hope it helps, and Good Hunting!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i nearly always use the same strategy when fighting orcs, and that is ranged attacks. i sit back, avoiding combat as long as possible, causing panic tests and whittling down stronger units. then i hit them with everything i have. i mean it, with the exception of the RBT and my two mages, everything will charge on the same turn. No orcs yet have beaten this strategy. Kill biguns with magic, they are far too strong to kill in combat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Falamin
    Kill biguns with magic, they are far too strong to kill in combat.
    how a bout an army that ENTIRELY consists of big uns and black orcs .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

54 (x2)

how a bout an army that ENTIRELY consists of big uns and black orcs .
    That would be more of a problem, due to the lack of animosity, but softening them up with magic and bolt throwers, before multiple charges would be the best bet. Target selection would have to be very careful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

55 (x1)

sit back...shoot up the fast cav, giant, and severely weaken the two flank blocks. AT the last moment, throw half your army against that one block of infantry (which you should decide on during deployment). redirect the block beside it with an eagle incase you dont break on the first shot. after that its tough to predict what happens next. but if you do break, most of your army will punch through behind the oand g army. dont forget to call out fanatics.
    2006 Record (2k pts): High Elves: 20/5/2 (wld)

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h2...ir/banner5.jpg

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast