Has a HE player ever won a tournie ? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Has a HE player ever won a tournie ?

I'm wondering if there was a tournament won by a HE player?
    And what was his army like?

Have fun !

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x2)

Sure they have. HE really aren't bad. The big problem is that if you make a list with HE playing on their strenghts it's easily looked upon as cheesy. Currently we are having league playoffs in my gaming club. I am the only HE player here and made it into the finals with a very reasonable list. Only 7 PD. So people don't play HE because it's one of the only lists that almost has to use a lot of magic. I am saying that wrong because you can easily win without a lot of magic but our magic is just very powerfull. It is not easy to win without a decent amount of magic but it can be done. It just takes alot of experience. I mean some races are pretty easy to play. Look at your average chaos list. Just advance forward as fast as you can and roll over everything. If your opponent can't take out enough by the time the forces meet you unsually win. HE just need alot of thought unless you just do the "I'm gonna sit back and magic everything to death" list. So a good HE player will be able to win without much magic but it's not easy. And thus there aren't that many HE players. However if you manage to master the High Elves you will have a easy time with just about every other army you play.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    139 (x8)

The strongest type of HE list is actually all cavalry, not heavy magic. Our magic is best used defensively, though it can easily work offensively. We have a great selection of cavalry, including heavy cav as core. Those are the types that usually win tournies, if HE do at all. Our cheese usually doesn't stand up to the cheese of other armies, thats why HE don't go as well.
    The LO ANZAC Clan!

The Pirate's Haven BFG clan! Breathe life into this fantastic GW system.

Hex
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    80 (x2)

This is actually true, HE cavalry is strong, though nobody realises it. If you take a magic heavy army to a tourney and find you're facing a force like dwarfs with 7+DD, you've got much less chances of winning with nobody really to fight with. Like strewart said, its easy to take a cheesy army with Skaven and the sort, but not with HE. People who win tourneys a lot are people with cheese so this minimises the HE's chance of winning one. At least HE haven't got cheese so it's much better to play a normal game with them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x2)

High Elves have cheese alright. Just take Telclis or even better a archmage with the book of hoeth and 3 lvl 2's, jewel of the dusk, a banner of sorcery and 2 bound rings. Add to that all cav and It's cheesy alright. The book will protect you from those heavy dispel dice armies, the rest you just blow through. Not much fun though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

not if my tzeentch have anything to say about it. but seriously, i have seen some good high elf players in tournaments and alot of the time there list is either to "cheesy" or it is balanced buty they come up against an army that they just can't stop. for instance, i seem to notice that when i test play against one of my HE buddies he has a hard time stopping certain things like skirmishers, and other hard to hit stuff.

But to answer your question i have never seen a HE player win a tourney.
    WHFB>WH40K

Hex
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    80 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvester
    High Elves have cheese alright. Just take Telclis or even better a archmage with the book of hoeth and 3 lvl 2's, jewel of the dusk, a banner of sorcery and 2 bound rings. Add to that all cav and It's cheesy alright. The book will protect you from those heavy dispel dice armies, the rest you just blow through. Not much fun though.
    Yes, but tournaments that I play are usually 500pt games and your archmage is way over that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think pmilij means a normal 2000 points armmy, right?

about it, i don't plauy tournie's so i don't really know. i do know that our cabv cabn be devastating. we can easily make several "linebreaker"cav units of around 12 suilverhelms (even better make it 11 and a commander) there is nithing that will stop it, and we can take 2 or 3 of those formations and one dragonprince formation in a 2k list.
    support it with some nice defensive magic (ammulian crystal, DS) and some chariots you have yourself a nice list.

but that's just me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that I night have something to say about that!!!!

I play high elves all the time at tourneys in my area (I recently moved to Germany) and I seem to have no problem with winning. It's not that my opponents aren't any good (I've gone to the GT a few times and quite a few of these guys would rank high up on the leader board) but If you have the tactical ability to beat someone with your army that is personalised to your playing style and the dice are fair then you should win every time. Quite a lot of people I see around say 'oh but high elves suck, the never win ever' but that's often because they don't understand how to get the best out of their army. It's like a driver that hasn't ever driven or even seen a manual gearbox getting in a really fast car and attempting to drive it, then getting out and saying that the car sucks because he can't get it to go as fast as he thinks it should. Every gamer has an army that fits their playing style and for me that's the high elves. Quite a lot of the gamers that win tournaments also play high elves to challenge themselves. It's actually quite easy if you see a gamer to see whether they truly understand how to play the game, all you have to do is ask them whether the high elves are any good. You can also see why not too many people play high elves. Newcomers to the hobby are advised to start on orcs and goblins because the standard orc army doesn't require too much tactical understanding to have a good time playing with it. A mid level gamer maybe moves on to a more individual and special army such as a dwarf army or bretonnians and be able to win with them but the kind of people that you know are going to beat you (like when I was growing up we all knew that the owner of the independent stockist that we all went to would beat us hands down with his eyes closed) are going to be using an elf army. This isn't to say that other people don't use elf armies but you can tell a true gamer by watching them considering their moves and whether they ultimately win with regularity. I have great respect for someone that I used to live near to in England called Tony who was the same age as me. We used to play each other every weekend with me using my Bretonnians and him using his Empire. Then one Christmas my mum accidentally bought me a high elf unit when I was twelve. So I experimented with their rules and came up with an army that I thought would suit the way that I played with my bretonnians. It was pretty much a Silver helm and Dragon prince army with a Prince flying on a dragon. Then over the next few years I started using different units. I developed my own playing style, went to a few tournaments with my dad and then completely rebuilt my high elves into roughly what they are now (although I have had to buy the same units again and repaint them to make them tournament standard) with a much more versatile list utilising pretty much all of the different elements of the army list. So now I’m 23 and I can probably afford to say that I’m not bad at what I do with my high elves, who knows, I might even return to England to see if I can end that drought of wins for the elves!!!
    Until then see if you can challenge yourself to build an arm that works for you. Or just try soomething different - If you normally use and archer army try all cavalyry; you'd be surprised what can work for you!!! And don't complain about having to buy more expensive minuatures - use proxys to stand in for them until you find the right combination for you!!!

And in response to an earlier post - No I only have a level 1 mage with two dispel scrolls for my magic and I only have one unit of 10 dragon princes and one unit of 8 silver helms as far as heavy cavalry go so you don't have to go for magic heavy or cavalry charging armies. Mine is a very versatile army that can react quickly but still has a solid core of a unit of swordmasters and two units of 18 spearmen.

High elves forever!!!!
    Gretchin: Please, no more kicking.
    Yoda : Kick you, I must. For your own good, it is.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wow, quite a long post but well worth reading. Thanks.

I use an army that utilises the high elves strengths, I take 2 lvl 2 mages, 3 units of 5 Silver Helms and a unit of 5 ellyrian reavers, and 4 bolt throwers. I use thtese units as a core, and it tends to be able to match most armies I play. The only trouble I have had so far was a very annoying Dwarf list.GRRRR.

Dan
    Think this is good? Rep me and click the star
    <<<<

"You dont start learning until you're stuck or acknowledge your mistakes"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast