What are your army themes - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What are your army themes

Do ya'll have army themes for your army? My army's theme is a Yrvresse army who has been marshaled from the different fifedoms in Yvresse, allowing for multiple color schemes from different lords houses. The Yvresse army is also full of mages because of its close relations and borders to Saphery. Yvresse is mainly assailed by Dark Elves and Chaos, and those are some of my most common enemies, thus allowing for some specialty units to take them down.

So am I crazy for doing that, or do others do stuff like that and arrange storylines fro their armies? If so, please post them and share them to give ideas to others!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

no you are not the only one
    i love to write fluff for my armies, here is mine for my standard 2k list:

(telpirion is a prince and annerestan and Ellyson are mages)

Telpirion is the elder brother of Anerestan; Telpirion was emitted in the Swordmasters order after he had passed the trials. At the graduation ceremony of Telpirion the Loremasters noticed his brother Anerestan to have great affinity to the flows of magic, after being subjected to test he was declared to be adequate enough to be thought the ways of magic.
    While Anerestan was being trained, Telpirion built his reputation as a warrior of great skill not just in battle but in tactics as well. After he saved Loremaster Masinor from an orc ambush giving almost his own life in his protection, he was healed in the White Tower and promoted to become garrison commander of the forces located in Northern Yvresse/Southern Cothique and relief the commanding officer. the officer had been defeated many times and Prince Tyron had to come to aid many times to save the region from the orc tide. Settling in the area with a band of fellow Swordmasters and other troops, he began his duties. Telpirion was tested soon enough when a new invasion force came. Though the battle was hard fought the day was won when Telpirion separated the warbosses head from his shoulders.
    When Anerestan had completed his training his request to join his brother in the Defence of Ulthuan was granted and ever since the two have battled together against the forces of evil.
    Since then many battles have been waged by the brothers and although the cost was sometimes great no major orc incursion has breached the defences since Telpirion has taken command.

On one occasion he came to the help the people of Chrace to assist them in destroying a major dark elf incursion. Though the battle was hard fought it was won after Telpirion killed the leading dark elf Highborn in a challenge, leaderless fled to the sea, only to be run down and destroyed by Anerestan’s magic and groups of Sliverhelms and Tiranoc chariots. News of this staggering victory reached the ears of the Phoenix King and loremasters, who after consulting each other and Prince Tyron, gave the title of Prince to Telpirion. The White Lions of Chrace reacted to this to swear to fight alongside Telpirion to repay their debt. Anerestan was rewarded with one of the powerful rings of the White Tower, as a sign of his achievements and to better help him to smite the foes of Ulthuan.
    Ever since Telpirion and understand have defended Ulthuan, being reinforced by their cousin Ellyson who is a mage as well.
    The combination of the powerful magic of Anerestan and Ellyson and martial skills of Telpirion have led to a powerful team on which The Phoenix King and Prince Tyron can count in desperate times as these.

hope you liked it
    "Ask not the Eldar a question, for they will give you three answers; all of which are true and terrifying to know"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I too love the idea of a themed army. While I have not created personal histories for my leaders like Elfwarden's fine work above, I did create my 2000pt army around my favorite unit and their home.

My army is the Wardens of the White Tower. It's purpose is two-fold. First, to defend the tower. Second, to seek out and recover elven magic lost across the face of the world. It is commanded by a Prince with the Radient Gem of Hoeth. 2 mages join him, each wielding one of the tower's rings. Of course a unit of Swordmasters are heart of this force carrying the banner of Sorcery.

2 units of spears, a rank of Silverhelms, a pair of eagles and 2 rbt's flesh out the army.

Now to find or run a campain where they can go into action...
    Last edited by Aiglos; June 27th, 2007 at 19:50.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x2)

I love a good themed army. However too often I see army that abuse the theme for their composition. Example - my army comes from the area where there is a lot of magic thus I have to take 12+ PD. Not because I want to. Yeah right!

I like the fluff of Aiglos. It is actually one of the few times I have seen someone base the fluff on the white tower and not use it as a excuses to max out their magic. Well done!!!!

Personally I think you should make your list and then build the fluff around it. That way you can play what you want. Of course after you build the fluff you might need to make a few small changes to the list to make the fluff work better but in my experience when the fluff dictates the list it comes to lopsided and often cheesy lists.

I am a bit weird in it all though. I am crazy about the high elves. They are my favorite army rules wise. However I am not nuts about their models and the fluff is great but is getting a bit old. So I have decided to revamp my list and I just build a new "high elf" list. All models in the list are ancient Egypt. So my prince is Anubis. My archers are heru archers, my spearmen are the human worshippers, great eagles are flying sphinxs. I have it all assembled and now need to start painting. It will take a while and will not be allowed in GT's since there isn't a single GW model in the army but it will look great in the Indy tourney's.

So once I start painting I will also start working on the fluff. If you go this route you will need a bit more work. So I will probably rewrite the whole High magic lore so the spells match the theme of my army. And also all the items will be renamed. But within the High elf rules.

Theme is fun!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    139 (x8)

My army is pretty vanilla.. The painted ones are blue, and I take mostly balanced lists.

When HE are rereleased later on I definitely want a theme and a new paint scheme though. I'm playing with the idea of ancient roman, and having bronze armour instead of silver, maybe red cloaks. I might have to repaint a few spearmen soon with different ideas. As for list composition, I'll wait to see how the new book looks. I want a mostly infantry army though.
    The LO ANZAC Clan!

The Pirate's Haven BFG clan! Breathe life into this fantastic GW system.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm about halfway done with my army, and I’ve got it all themed up pretty well

The whole idea is that it's part of a larger invasion force in Naggaroth. I'm trying to reflect as proportionally as is reasonable the full diversity of Ulthuan. This meant I really had to pick and chose my non-core units carefully, as I didn't leave a lot of points for them. Of course, the vast majority of the soldiers are spearmen. A couple small silver helm units as well. I took swordmasters because at least in my mind, they are the "most common" of the uncommon soldiers in the army. I figured something as important as the guardians of the flame of the phoenix or the phoenix king himself or something as rare as the remaining dragon princes wouldn't be in the average company of an invasion force. They'd more likely stay at home, or only appear very rarely. I've got shadow warriors, chariots, and Ellyrian reavers as well.

I realize that an army that is supposed to embody diversity should reflect it in its color scheme, but I care more that it looks nice and uniform. I used red with yellow highlights, since the old white-and-blue seems a little overdone to me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mines themed around the phoenix guard. The General is a phoenix guard (no rules to state he's any different from a normal elf, but i convereted him a nice phoenix guard helm) and he's riding a dragon with the honour that gives him a level 1 mage ability. He also has a seafarer bow. He just makes minecmeat out of everything

If i've made a mistake, then do note, but hey if i haven't then that is just destruction!

Since my army is themed around the phoenix guard I have a big unit of 30 of them (30 you say? well it causes fear so make the units big). The rest of the army is painted in a grey blue style, to represent the fact that phoenix guard are depressing and sad, and carry away dead bodies and all that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my high elf army is based around a smaller realm inside of caleador. my army is lead by a dragon prince and includes a unit of dragon princes at all times.

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

I didn't really have a theme for my army, but it kind of developed one. I hate painting the same scheme over and over, so my army has a patchwork quality. It looks like several different provinces have come together to form a cavalry battallion within a larger army.
    The first two units that I have are painted in blue lacquered armor and lighter blue cloth- a completely different scheme than the rest of the army (which i settled on later). I attached the seagaurd feathers to these two units as 'badges'. They serve as veterans gaurdes whenever I feel compelled to use troops on foot.

Depending on unit limitations, conversion ability, and whether or not i'll need to revamp my lists- I wouldn't mind theming my army on Caledor or Tirannoc. Right now it's just very vanilla and is my "take all" competitive list.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I Will have EVIL HIGH ELVES!!!!!:party::party::party:

Im going to model in hoods , and cloaks in for all my guys, removing the existing helmets, and making them a bit shady.

Im going to start when the new army get out.
    Float like a butterfly, Sting like a bee!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast