vs Ogres - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: vs Ogres

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

vs Ogres

My friend recently decided that an Ogre Kingdoms army would destroy all oponents! So he goes out and buys the batalion box and tells me that I won't stand a chance against him.

Well I must say I was a little concerned. I had read about these tough, high wounds and fast Ogres and thought I might have been in for some trouble.
    I came up with a few possible ways to get an edge against him. Although Ogres move is high, it is not as high as High Elf cavalry, so that was an option. However I realy would need to break him quickly and that isn't easy when each model has 3+ wounds. This lead me to think I needed to get a lot of attacks on him, more dice rolled = more chance of a wound. However I didn't want to get charged by him either, so I wasn't keen on using infantry.

His continued confidence that his Ogres would wipe the floor with me lead me to the cheesiest list I could think of. I now feel bad for comming up with it as it was almost too easy.

His batalion box gave him 1200pts. Gnoblars, Leadbelchers, Bulls and Ironguts. With a Butcher and a General of some sort.

My 1200 pts looked like this.
    2 x 20 Archers with full command (waste of points but I had the models so I used them)
    2 x RBT (fired volleys every turn)
    6 x Ellyrian Reavers equipped with spears and bows with BB and Champ (once again, had the models)
    High Magic Mage lvl 2 with Channeler, Dispel Scroll and Silver Wand
    Commander with Reaver Bow.

I got to go first and it all went bad for him from there. 61 rolls to hit every archery phase, plus Arrow Atraction and Fury of Khaine = not a single round of close combat and no chance for Leadbelchers to fire. I panicked his Butcher's unit in the first round and they left the table, so he didn't even get a magic phase.

Sometimes a masacre can leave you feeling a little hollow.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ogres are a finesse army. They look like they are krumpy, but they ain't. They are brilliant when played smart but surprisingly delicate and can be unforgiving due to their lack of models. You can definitely wipe the table with people if you know how to play.

Haha, he thought it would be, like, SMOOSH? That's amusing.

Edit: Link removed. Please do not post links to competitor sites~Stonehambey
    Last edited by Sammy the Squib; August 5th, 2006 at 12:19.
    Real men* punch dreadnoughts in the face! - Warboss Thrugg *orkses
    LO: 10,058 members ... of which 34 are female (including me). Yeek.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x2)

40 archers? Wow!

Let me say tha 10 is all you will ever want even in a 2000 point army. No wonder he crushed you. My general strategy against Ogres would be to damage him with magic/shooting, and then when he gets close, deliver a fatal charge.

Are you guys going to be keeping with 1200 points, or more?

I'd take 2 mages, maybe 1 unit of archers, 1 RBT, and 1 or 2 eagles. The eagles are VERY important in this matchup. Ogres don't have much shooting, and so your eagles will be perfect for march-blocking him. Fly them behind his lines and just sit within 8 inches of him. He'll advance towards you at 6 inches a turn, and you can pick on his units 1 at a time with shooting/magic. Ogres can panic pretty easily, so you'll be in great shape if you can make one of his units run. If he does flee, charge him with your eagles next turn, you'll most likely run him down.

Ideally you wouldn't take many infantry in this matchup, but if you must take spearmen, give them the Lion Standard. You can't have your troops fail in the face of fear. Don't move towards him, he'll come to you. If he manages to move within 10 inches of you, take the charge. If he moves just within 12 inches, hop backwards 2. Force him to either take another round of ranged damage, or get within your charge range.

Chariots work wonders with this tactic. Keep them off to the side ready to pounce into his flanks in pairs.

http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...es-2000-a.html

Here's a battle report of my Elves vs an Ogre opponent. I use a similar strategy here. It ends in a massacre in my favor.
    The Hierarchy Chaotica: Kinky Sex > Change > Disease > Blood

98% of the population actually believes these stupid statistics. If you're part of the 2% of humanity with a brain, put this in your profile.

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    523 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Fat_Badger
    No wonder he crushed you.
    Eh? I think you'll find it was a massacre for the HE!

As has been pointed out fear could be a problem. Especially with intrugue at court.

IMO the HE are the stronger army here and i think you'll have less trouble than you think when it comes to playing the great maw.

Keep letting us know how you're getting on!

Ciao

Stonehambey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

good work with the archers, i myself would not use them but, well done.

orges are nasty to play against, i once had a battle vs. orges and man it was gut magic all over the place.

orges are just as HE difficult to master but when masterd they can be devastating
    "Ask not the Eldar a question, for they will give you three answers; all of which are true and terrifying to know"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x2)

haha I read that fairly wrong! Congrats on the win!
    The Hierarchy Chaotica: Kinky Sex > Change > Disease > Blood

98% of the population actually believes these stupid statistics. If you're part of the 2% of humanity with a brain, put this in your profile.

The Netherlands, small place called Langbroek
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I read what you wrote and I know that playing ogres isn't that hard against starters with an armie based on WS and BS like HE instead of numbers. My brother has them and I have HE. And you surely need numbers against them. I think I'm going to try an archery list against him! thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x2)

ogres are though but they too have weaknesses. The main 2 weaknesses are:

1) hardly any static combat res.

2) very few models. (most units only require one ranged casualty to cause a panic check)

Another big help against ogres is eagles. Please the eagles so the ogres expose the flank if they charge it or are stuck if they don't. Since ogres have hardly any shooting eagles will ruin their day.

Koosh for the KooshLord kooshlord's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    99 (x3)

Watch out with Eagles though if the OK player uses leadbelchers. These can move and shoot, so they can swivel to shoot something behind their lines. And 1 leadbelcher has a reasonable chance of outright killing an eagle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally when I'm playing Ogres I don't even bother with shooting. In my experiance archers are just too expensive to be effective and RBT's are pretty easy for your opponent to kill if you're army is relying on mobility to stay alive. When ever I'm playing Ogres I use units of 6 silver helms with a musician and occasionally a champion for my core. The silver helms will usually work in teams of two with one unit baiting the ogres while another runs around and hits the ogres in the flank. Because of how few models ogres have flank chagres with cav are a very effective tactic. If you charge in the flank usually only one model can fight you and the ogres will have a very hard time winning combat. Once you do win combat chances are the ogres will break since their LD is pretty low. After silver helms I like to take chariots since they have the hitting power to damage ogres in the front. A pair of chariots in the front of an ogre unit with a unit of silver helms on the side is a sure way to break an ogre unit. Shadow warriors also play a vital role in my games against ogres for their ability to march block and the same goes for eagles. Depending on the points I'm playing sometimes I use DPs but usually I just rely on silver helms for my combat units. As far as characters go I usually like to use mounted commanders with a great weapon in a unit of silver helms since he gives them even more hitting power and in the rare chance that ogres don't break on the first turn, gives them some staying power as well. As far as magic goes usually I've found a scroll caddie is usually all I need to hold off magic for a turn or two until I'm in combat. The trick to beating ogres is to engage them on your terms which means makeing sure all your ocmbats are stacked in your favor. Useing cav gives you a huge advantage since with cav you have the ability to out manouvre the ogres and hit them where they're weak.

+ Reply to Thread