Hiding Mages - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hiding Mages

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hiding Mages

so i'm wondering, where do you guys put your mages in units or isolated on the board, with the 7th ed rules?i used to just place mine close to a unit to protect form shooting, but am now considering stashing them in maybe a unit of archers, or spearmen until combat gets close? What do you do with your mages?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I put them in a unit of either Spear or Archers.
    "Here dead lie we because we did not choose to live and shame the land from which we sprung. Life, to be sure, is nothing much to lose; but young men think it is, and we were young."
    A. E. Housman

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x2)

hide in a unit of archers with the lore of heavens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the above posters got it right. Hide them in a unit.

One question I have on this since we're talking about characters in units though is if I have a mage in a unit ..say..as follows

x = archer m = mage

xxmxx
    xxxxx
    xxxxx
    xxxxx

Can he move out in any direction? Or does he have to exit from the front of the unit? It isn't something I can find in the BRB book and kinda makes things tough when enemies approach because I've been playing it as the mage can only leave out the front.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thats strange, during the normal movement phase you can move characters to any position in the unit to help them to get into combat etc, so surely you could move the character (i.e. the mage) to wherever you wanted to within the unit, and then move him out from there. if you had to stick with only moving him out from the edge then maybe placing him on the corner of the unit would enable him to move out of the side?

xxxxm
    xxxxx
    xxxxx
    xxxxx

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x2)

He can move out in any direction he wants as long as his ending spot is no further from his beginning spot then his max movement. And that means from HIS beginning spot. Not from the units beginning spot.

Charging out of the unit however he can only do to the front.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am going to put one of my mages in a unit of spearmen and give him lore of Beasts. Then i pick the first spell... the bear angers With this he should be able to hold his own in CC.
    Combined with the other spells in the Lore he should be able to be effective.

Hope it helps
    "Ask not the Eldar a question, for they will give you three answers; all of which are true and terrifying to know"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    451 (x8)

I am going to put one of my mages in a unit of spearmen and give him lore of Beasts. Then i pick the first spell... the bear angers With this he should be able to hold his own in CC.
    Combined with the other spells in the Lore he should be able to be effective.

Hope it helps
    well you could allways take this a step further now and give a commander the item that makes him a lvl 1 mage but lets him keep armour. then just get the bears anger + some heavy armour and watch the mayhem.... ( 6 S6 attacks from a T4 elf)

spambot kill tally: 79

[16:19] <@Alzer> Arky's right though
    [16:20] <@Kaiser-> I know he is.
    [16:20] <@Kaiser-> He usually is.
    [16:20] <@Kaiser-> Sometimes it's intentional.
    ----
    [00:01] <+zubus> i love you, ya skirt wearin nothern monkey! ^_^

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Arklite View Post
    well you could allways take this a step further now and give a commander the item that makes him a lvl 1 mage but lets him keep armour. then just get the bears anger + some heavy armour and watch the mayhem.... ( 6 S6 attacks from a T4 elf)
    that would be leatal as well indeed, but i was talking ab outmages and not commanders.
    still you were right
    "Ask not the Eldar a question, for they will give you three answers; all of which are true and terrifying to know"

+ Reply to Thread