Starting High Elves - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Starting High Elves

After much deliberation i have decided to play High Elves

what would people recomend i start out with. The type of army im going for is relitive amount of magic, solid infantry and archery lines, and some heavy hitters like swordmasters, or dragon princes

P.S. Whats the deal with Pheonix guard, why are they so good, keep in mind i dont have to codex, so some one will have to fill me in.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well first of all welcome to the kingdom of the asur. For your army at 1000 points you would probably want to go with 2 lvl 2 mages cause this will dominate the magic phase. For you infintry i would take a unit of archers a unit of spearmen preferably large and a unit of swordsmasters. Also for a heavy hitter take a small unit (5-6) of silver helms as they are cheaper in points then dragon princes. as for the pheonix gaurd you will unfortunatly find they are too many points and not well armoured. they are also only strength 4 so your swords master will usually do any job they can but better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

in large games phonex guard anrt bad, but in anything below 3000pts they are using up precious rare slots that shoud be used by eagles or Repeter Bolt Throwers

aviod archers... unless you need a cheep way to fill your last core slot, which you shouldent need to since afew small units of Silverhelms will fill them nicely.

A big block of spearmen is also a good choice,

sword masters are one of the best troops out there but everyone you play against will know this and they become a point sink in small games if you get a decent amount of them into combat they will shred what ever they face, but getting them there is the problem

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    523 (x8)

Spearmen are always a sound bet, as are silver helms.

Phoenix Guard are really good - they cause fear, have halberds and can take magic items.

Chariots and Dragon Princes are nice because of their large movement.

Ciao

Stonehambey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    117 (x6)

Why bother? Arent high elves getting re-done sometime this year?

From an enemy perspective, I'd say go against the norm and take less archers. Maybe 1 unit to hide a mage or 2 in. Take the rest of your shooting as bolt throwes. Of course, take advantage of the excellent HE magic. But spend the points you save on archers on more close combat stuff..

My eyes light up when i see the opponent place 3 units of 10 archers on the field in 5x2 formation. I dont think 'oh no! 30 bows!' I think 'Mmmm, 3 weak points to exploit'..
    Bolt throwers will serve you better. Put the mages in the other units like spearmen since you wont have archers to put em in. But make sure you take a unit champion to accept challenges for them. Or just have them leave the unit before they get charged..

Cheers
    Dark Elves - Game #28 vs High Elves: Draw
    W L D
    21 5 5

+ Reply to Thread