High mage save? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High mage save?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    117 (x6)

High mage save?

Hi (high elf scum!! lol) :shifty:

Dark elves player here with a few questions after a game against High Elves, commanded by a 'questionable' person..

Do High Mages get any form of free ward save? When he rolled a double to cast a spell, he declared that the level 4 had the Book of Hoeth, which takes up all of his magic item point limit.. Later when I killed him, he claimed he also had some kind of ward save...:blink:
    is there any way to get a ward save on a High Mage when he has no points left for magic items? Or was he being a down-right cheat (as usual)?

He also did the same thing for a level 2 mage which had the ring of fury & a power stone.. Im thinking thats the same situation, no points left for a ward..
    (can you clarify that the ring of Fury is 24" 2D6 S4 hits?.. I thought it was 1D6)

Also rolled a save for his Swordmaster champion against a S6 attack.. I thought they only had heavy armour?..

General question: He had his level 4 standing behind a unit of 10 swordmasters, & he was casting spells at my units which were blocked from Line of sight by the swordmasters.. He seemed to think they dont block LoS.. thats crap right? Im sure they do..

Anyway, this was the same clown who cheated me with his Eldar at a 40k tourney, So it was pretty satisfying to beat him, and even more so if he cheating..

Let me know

Cheers

Last edited by Manu_Forti; January 2nd, 2007 at 04:10.
    Dark Elves - Game #28 vs High Elves: Draw
    W L D
    21 5 5

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ward save on mages without ward save giving items? Not sure how he tried to justify that unless there was some sort of remain in play spell that gives it (though I am familiar with none of the sort).

How big was the save?

P.S: Ring of Fury casts the Fury of Khaine spell, which is exactly like you described (its an 8+ casting level, last i checked anyway, so it can't go off like a fire ball especially since high elves dominate the magic department ^^).
    "Heresy is like a garden weed, it won't stop feeding until you... BURN THE WHOLE DAMN GARDEN WITH A FLAMER, BURN IT, BURN IT TO HELL!!!!!" "Is there a wittle puppy in the garden? ITS A DAEMON! BURN IT!"

Master of the Ravenwing Anacron's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Manu_Forti View Post
    Dark elves player here with a few questions after a game against High Elves, commanded by a 'questionable' person..

Do High Mages get any form of free ward save? When he rolled a double to cast a spell, he declared that the level 4 had the Book of Hoeth, which takes up all of his magic item point limit.. Later when I killed him, he claimed he also had some kind of ward save...:blink:
    is there any way to get a ward save on a High Mage when he has no points left for magic items? Or was he being a down-right cheat (as usual)?
    No they don't, there are a number of items that could be used to supply a ward save -- 6+, 5+, 4+ (or 2+ vs spells) -- but they all cost between 10 and 55 points from the usual magic item allowance.

He also did the same thing for a level 2 mage which had the ring of fury & a power stone.. Im thinking thats the same situation, no points left for a ward..
    (can you clarify that the ring of Fury is 24" 2D6 S4 hits?.. I thought it was 1D6)
    Same comment as before, and you are right, it is 2D6, the same as the Fury of Khaine spell.

Also rolled a save for his Swordmaster champion against a S6 attack.. I thought they only had heavy armour?..
    Correct, they only have heavy armour, however the champion can take a few points of magic items, so he could have had a ward save.

General question: He had his level 4 standing behind a unit of 10 swordmasters, & he was casting spells at my units which were blocked from Line of sight by the swordmasters.. He seemed to think they dont block LoS.. thats crap right? Im sure they do..
    Yes, they do - if you can't see through them neither can he. However, spells don't need Line of Sight to be cast, unless the spell specifically says so or it's a magic missile.

Anyway, this was the same clown who cheated me with his Eldar at a 40k tourney, So it was pretty satisfying to beat him, and even more so if he cheating..
    I think we can be certain that he was.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

117 (x6)

Thanks anacron.

& yes 1 of the spells he cast through the swordmasters was Fury of Khaine, which is definately a magic missile.
    I wasnt really watching his rolls for spells because I was doing my own, so I also think he just took whatever spells he wanted, considering all 3 mages had fury of Khaine (& none had the seer honor which lets them choose).. I saw his roll for the level 4 though (2,4,5,6). I think Fury of Khaine is #3 if im not mistaken.

Cheers
    Last edited by Manu_Forti; January 3rd, 2007 at 02:52.
    W L D
    21 5 5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x2)

Nope, #3 is Fortune is Fickle

He rolled:
    Curse of Arrow Attraction
    Fury of Khaine
    Flames of the Phoenix
    Vaul's Unmaking

Of those, only Fury of Khaine requires line of sight.
    Still, he's a blatant cheater. Good job teaching him a lesson ^^
    In the future, ask to see his list after the game, and post it (with a list of suspicious stuff he did) here.
    Last edited by Teron; January 3rd, 2007 at 11:18.
    Use Light, Beasts, Metal instead of Heavens
    NecroLords: Use at least one Death Mage
    Brets: Use Peasants&Damsels
    Skaven: Don't use Skryre SAD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x2)

Pretty sad, bringing that much magic and cheating and still not being able to win. LOL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

117 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvester View Post
    Pretty sad, bringing that much magic and cheating and still not being able to win. LOL
    Heh, true. But no amount of magic or cheating will save you from Manu.. :shifty:

I must admit the re-rolled attacks with 'hate high elves' is really nasty though. Much more useful than immune to panic..
    W L D
    21 5 5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x2)

Heh, true. But no amount of magic or cheating will save you from Manu.. :shifty:

I must admit the re-rolled attacks with 'hate high elves' is really nasty though. Much more useful than immune to panic..
    Yeah it is nasty. Though in my last game against Dark Elves, I had honestly lost count of the number of times this sort of exchange took place...

Dark Elf scum: ...so your Spearelves fled 11", and then that unit needs to take a Panic check.
    Me: No it doesn't.
    Dark Elf scum: Bugger!

2 minutes later

Dark Elf scum: ...and Swordmasters charged in the rear.... do you want to take your Panic test then?
    Me: Nope.
    Dark Elf scum: ...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

117 (x6)

Yeah I wasnt saying it doesnt have it's uses. But I look at it in the sense that the re-rolls are what wins the Dark Elves the combat in first place, which is why you would need to panic test. SO even when you dont panic, youve still lost the fight.

Didnt realise you panic test for rear charges though. I Guess it wouldnt happen much to a defensive army however.

Anyways. both abilities are nice. As an attacking player I just love those re-rolls =)

Cheers
    W L D
    21 5 5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x2)

Didnt realise you panic test for rear charges though.
    You're right, you don't, that was me still playing 6th edition rules in my head... sorry.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast