Silver Helms v Dragon Princes - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Silver Helms v Dragon Princes

A fully equiped 5elf silver helm unit costs = 150

The same dragon prince regiment costs = 175

Thats a measly 25 points for a increase in both WS/I and also the ability to give the Champion a nice little weapon and the Std Bearer to have a magical standard (yes i know about 1st amongst equals)

But when you consider all the points a prince will cost then surely its worth giving him a unit of dragon princes to ride with to increase the potential of his unit?

or am i missing something?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

though aganst average opponents the increase WS wont make any diffrence on the required role to hit, and there going to he striking first anyway so the extra I is relativly pointless. those would be the only reasons i can think of, though i agree with you and would normaly take them aswell as some other mounted elves.

people always rave about the ability for the champions to take magic items, but what items are acturly worth it (except for the amulet of purifying flame)
    Last edited by ghoul; January 10th, 2007 at 09:21.

Now 17% more helpful gingerninja's Avatar
    In the ninja lab.......of course it exists!!!!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    262 (x7)

I've used them as a quick way of dealing with my cousins flame cannon before now. Remember that they are immune to fire, and therefore a unit of 6 with the banner of elyrion is a useful way of taking out that piece of kit.

They are also 1" quicker due to their special barding. May not sound like a lot but it makes them as quick as nearly all cavalry!!

The main advantage that Silverhelms have is they are core, and therefore easier to take without overloading special choices.
    New LOChat functions now avaliable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheredanine View Post
    Dr Gingerninjas therapy room for kids with a poor grasp of both english and Warhammer, please take a ticket from nurse deciever

Need a list designed for any Fantasy army: Click Here

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with your posts guys, but against slightly more elite troops where the WS could make the difference between 4 and 3's to hit, epecially as once the charge is done we might aswell say bye bye to them unless there is a fellow unit ready to flank, i wouldnt mind giving him the sword with plus +1 to strength would help deal with all kinds of troops (Normal toughness 3 infantry, the Drake master may get 2 kills, or against t4 1?. add this to the war banner with another 1 we could be looking at a +3 combat res, before taking into account to rest of the troops and any commander/prince we put with them?,

thats my 2 cents

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I always take both anyways but i like dragon princes because i can give em banner of ellyrion. THis lets them speed rigth up the flank of the enemy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't forget Silver Helms are plastic to Dragon Princes metal so they are about 25% cheaper money wise.

That's why I have 16 Silver Helms and no Dragon Princes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IMO, I find silver helms much more useful. They are nice points wise and can do the same job Dragon Princes do. And maybe its just personal experience but whenever I bring a unit of Dragon Princes they end up doing me more harm than my opponent whereas silver helms are the opposite, well most of the time.

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

There's a psychological benefit to fielding DPs. They tend to attract lots of enemy attention, even though they are only slightly better than your regular cavalry. And you're right, putting them in there with a prince is a great idea. Not only is it very fluffy, but it also lets some of those tasty banners affect the prince. The magical weapons on the champion don't really help too much. I'd much rather give him a +2St lance on the charge, than a +1attack at S3, or constant S4 attacks. The latter options are for prolonged fighting. Prolonged fighting is bad for elf cav.

And yes, SH are far cheaper when you are paying cash. They are also easier to build, and slightly easier to maintain. But the DP are sick models, and I wouldn't be surprised if they went plastic on us too.
    Personally, I like the Silver Helms, but I will admit to having a nice little unit of DPs in my army.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hello all.
    My first post in several months time
    God, college is killing me.:cry:

Anyway. Silverhelms rae quite cheap (points and money) compared to Dragon Princes. And since they are core we can take a lot of them

Still i think DP are a valuable addition to the HE army. The higher WS, I and Ld means they can hit more often and will last longer. Plus their amazing charge range and the ability to take a more expensive banner than the Silverhelms still means they can take on the best of the enemy.

hope it helps
    "Ask not the Eldar a question, for they will give you three answers; all of which are true and terrifying to know"

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    160 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by hero View Post
    I always take both anyways but i like dragon princes because i can give em banner of ellyrion. THis lets them speed rigth up the flank of the enemy.
    you can give your banner of elly to silver helms too, just cheaper. The benefit of giving it to the DP is that you can charge 18" through some trees and pull out behind an enemy unit. The extra 2 " gives you some turning room to set up a flank or rear charge.

+1 strength would be nice - as lots of other elite cav gets that much at least, But that's what the White Lions get instead.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast