new magic rules - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: new magic rules

drm
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

new magic rules

I don´t have the new rule book but i have heared that mages can only use power dice that they generate. Is this true? If it his how wre suposed armys that use 2 LV2 mages and a lv4 mage have good magic?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

High elves have good magic and good arcane items.

Yes, you're right. Mages can use only those dice they generate or the dice from the army pool.

I don't have the book in front of me, but I'm betting that you have items that grant you more power dice. Isn't there a nice magic banner for that? Banner dice would add to the pool and be available to any wizard.

Plus, bound spells offer cheap and reliable castings, often forcing an enemy to use dispel dice.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    238 (x6)

I think that the new rules are a good idea as before people were giving their better casters more power dice by taking lesser casters who never tried to cast spells. Now, every caster in the army is at least trying to cast spells.

With High Elves, if you want a particular mage to have more power dice that can still be done. You can give them the Jewel of the Dusk to give them an extra dice, and can use the ones from the army pool, which can itself be boosted by having the Banner of Sorcery in your army.
    Thou shalt remember:
    Warhammer Fantasy armies do NOT have Codices. They have Army Books.

LINK - Guitarists of LO Group

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x2)

I also like these changes, it only seems fair and natural. Nothing quite like a slann, and half a dozen skinks, who only live to pass on poewr dice to the slann, and provide LOS :=

it balances out the magic system quite nicely in one feel swoop. IMO one of the best changes in 7th ed.

oh, and btw Ancalagos, I just can't help myself:

And yes, I know GW uses the wrong term for it, and it annoys me greatly, but what can I do but to educate the masses

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    238 (x6)

True I sometimes slip into calling a single die a "dice", and it annoys me when I do. (I'm a bit of a grammar lawyer. Something you'd expect from an english student, not engineering...)

More recently, though, I've tended to say D6. (Or D-whatever if the various shaped polyhedral random number generator is not a cube )

Quote Originally Posted by CryoGenFX
    it balances out the magic system quite nicely in one feel swoop. IMO one of the best changes in 7th ed.
    I agree. Taking Level 1s or 2s just to feed your archmage more power dice just doesn't seem right to me. I definitely think the new rules are fairer.
    Thou shalt remember:
    Warhammer Fantasy armies do NOT have Codices. They have Army Books.

LINK - Guitarists of LO Group

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    160 (x7)

not to be rude, but what are you whining about?
    2 lvl2's and a lvl4, you're considered magic heavy already!

High Elves have the best magic in the game and can spread it around instead of throwing it into a fat frog who still randomly rolls for spells.

+ Reply to Thread