Purpose of Shadow warriors? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Born from Tears of Angels WraithGuardian's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    105 (x5)

Purpose of Shadow warriors?

The title pretty much says it all. I know they do have their uses, but at their cost in exchange for skirmish and scouting, are they worth it?

I mean I can see them working very well for purpose of appearing right in the center of a forest and showering the enemy with arrows while he has no way to take them down except using ranged units or magic. But still are they useful? Should I get some for a magic heavy army???

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    238 (x6)

I have some, mainly because I bought a Batallion and didn't want any more archers, so I converted myself some Shadow Warriors.

I think they can be quite handy, particularly at marchblocking. If you have a magic heavy army, then you'll have limited numbers of troops, so slowing the enemy down while they try to reach your lines is good. Eagles are also really good at this. Slowing the opposition also buys you more time for shooting with RBTs.

Of course if your opponent isn't going to try and come to you, a gunline player for instance, they will be less effective. But they will still be a pain for your opponent, showering them with arrows from relatively nearby whilst still being hard to hit with retaliatory shots.

Plus I love their background. :yes:
    Thou shalt remember:
    Warhammer Fantasy armies do NOT have Codices. They have Army Books.

LINK - Guitarists of LO Group

Koosh for the KooshLord kooshlord's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    99 (x3)

Using them to charge war machines is also valid. A small (scouting) unit can take out most war machine crews in CC and costs less than the war machine. Of course, HE are spoiled for choice in that capacity.

-Koosh
    Arena of Death Champion: Nexim of the Guldskullz Tribe. Fear my wrath!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The two gents above have said is very nicely.

I primarily use shadow warriors as marchblockers and as a unit to charge warmachines with.
    Yes they cary bows but i believe i may have fired them once of twice cause i always let them run the full 10'' or get them stuck in CC.

I find them working better than Reavers since people tend to shoot reavers sooner than shadow warriors, at leats where i am from.

And as Ancalagon said, their background just rocks :yes:
    "Ask not the Eldar a question, for they will give you three answers; all of which are true and terrifying to know"

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    160 (x7)

a friend of mine uses them in the same ways as mentioned above, or in place of the archers. 8 shadow warriors cost the same as 10 archers without armor except the shadow warriors are harder to hit and all 8 can fire at once. If you're not using that extra special slot and want a little bit of str3 shooting - that's an idea.

+ Reply to Thread