Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
wats the best way to stop a unit of chaos knights (w/ armor of Chaos or Chaos armor or whatever!. a unit of 8 took out almost half my army last game...
Well...Originally posted by blue light fading@Feb 23 2004, 14:45
What is the best way to stop chaos knights?
1) Dont let them charge M7, your units are faster
2) Dont charge them with one unit charge them with many units!
3) If they are khorne fellows then use a great eagle to have them to charge it, then flee, rally, again u are the closest target, flee agian etc...
4) Your units shall support eachother well 8 chaos knights, hrm Chosen Chaso knights if they had chaos armour well in pts they are equalm to 2 x Units of 5 / 6 Silver Helms and 1 x Unit of 5 Ellyrian Reavers. No other options to the silver helms except lt armour and shields and give a musician to the reavers. 1. Move with your reavers until they stands ca 10" in front of the chaos knights and have your silver helms next to the reavsers (on both sides but move only half speed with them in one movement phace. 2. Reacers will get charged by the chaos knights and flee. 3. Your turn rally the reavers and charge the chaos knights with the silver helms (both units) and the reavers (which are fast cavalry so they can charge in the same turn that they rally. 3. One of the silver ehlm units should have warbanner so u get 1 (outnumbering) + 1 standard + 1 warbanner + those u that u kill (and remember for every model that u kill there`s one less that can strike back). 4. Win the combat resolutiion. Â´5. Pray to Khaine that the chaosplayer loses his or her break test. 6. Laugh when he or she loses his or her break test. 7. Laugh even louder as u purused into the fleeing knights it your reavers and the unit is whiped out.
How do you stop Chaos Knights? There's a few ways.
Instead of crapping your pants when you see the enemy fielding a unit of knights, keep these things in mind.
1. take into account that they cost a massive amount of points (forget the exact amount but if I remember it was way up there in 5th edition...) and are almost never fielded in any more than a group of 10.
2. Massive armor save so don't even bother using missile fire against them unless it's a war machine.
3. They're one of the fastest moving units available to Chaos which means that an overambitious general usually moves them too far ahead of his force, whether it be on the flank or straight up the middle away from support. (Not that they need much)
4. If they charge you and hit your unit chances are your entire first rank is going to be decimated and you'll break, so flee! HE leadership is very good. About a 75% chance of rallying, even higher if you're by the general or BSB.
Ok now that that's all said we can now talk about how to break those nasty buggers in two. Like everything in the game, they aren't invincible.
Think of your army's strengths - As a High Elf one of them is mobility. Another is magic. An experienced Elf general will realize his army is much more flexible than the straight-forward bash 'em Chaos army. One of the top 3 when it comes to flanking ability and one of the top 3 when it comes to magic.
Set up units to slow the enemy's march move while you move the rest of your troops around freely. As I stated before, Chaos isn't as flexible so you could literally encircle them on a large enough battlefield.
Magic Missiles and War machines to pick off a unit here or there. Fighting 7 or 8 chaos knights is better than fighting 10 and can mean 4 to 6 less casualties.
Next, look at your terrain setup and think about how you can draw what enemy units you want out. If that Chaos Knight's unit has the mark of Korne they're frenzied, correct? So they'll charge whatever they can. Make sure it's either a sandtrap unit or a fast unit if that's the case. Sword masters or White Lions are good for this and they can actually whittle down that massive armor save if they're large enough in number.
KoC after the initial charge are still Chaos warriors and if you don't have the sort of unit that can rend through their armor in one or two turns you're a goner...
Unless you can flank charge them with some cavalry of your own. Dragon Princes coming along their flanks can hurt them. Just make sure that your flanking force is heavy hitting and fast.
You can always throw a character in their path as well. You know, the ones mounted on dragons or griffons. Give them a couple turns and good bye chaos knights. Not exactly the most complicated tactical move but it works.
Also try casting spells that bypass armour saves at them to whittle down the ranks so that you can kill them on the way into combat. A couple rounds of concentrated magic and repeater bolt thrower fire (preferably a solid shot rather than repeat for the ability to bypass armour saves! should take care of the nasty servants of chaos!
Hope that this is some assistance!
The iron crowned is getting closer,
Swings his hammer down on him,
Like a thunderstorm he's crushing,
Down the Noldor's proudest king.
Under my foot, so hopeless it seems.
You've troubled my day, now feel the pain.
- Blind Guardian